Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Bar Membership?

• 04-09-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

So, like anyone else who was bored in work, I went ahead and registered online today (wow!) and found to my surprise that, unlike last year, there was no mention of bar membership... well, I didn't actually read all that stuff that came before the I accept button but no obvious mention...

Naturally worried that I might end up missing out on that magic Y on my ID card, I e-mailed registry and received the following reply:
    You will have automatic membership to the bar this year, it is not necessary to register or pay for the bar.

Which was obviously shocking, I was looking forward to paying €13 (or maybe more!) so I could buy expensive drink and not enjoy €3 tuesdays anymore...

Anyone know what this means? Has trispace changed?

Comments

I hope so...not a very professional service if you have to mix your own drinks because they don't have a clue...and also explain that when I ask for a large bottle of cider, it means BULMERS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So just ask for a pint bottle Ru, it'll save everyone the hassle. :)

As for the free bar thing, maybe someone should give the SU a shout and ask what the story is?

But I want to sound sophisticated...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Well if it means not paying, happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ah sure, we'll all have to go mental and run into the bar on its first day of business, spent €13 asap and roar 'sure **** it, if it was last year, itd be gone on ****in membership'

(im so so happy at this news)

• Advertisement

Agh yeah, would be better if they confirmed the old bar was going to be the primary bar(although that is what is floating around...)...I hate the nubar and those feckin steps and how cold it is and the staff and cheap plastic chairs and the way it is trying to be funky and the smoking area and the patio heaters that singe one side of your face and give you a headcold with the other side...But apart from that, it is one great bar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

...A potential sign that they know the bar is gonna close during the year... for good?

sunnyjim wrote: »
    ...A potential sign that they know the bar is gonna close during the year... for good?

That's a new way of looking at it...But I don't think our pres would close it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

sunnyjim wrote: »

Don't say that :(

If anyone has our SU pres on bebo or myspace you might have seen his comments about the old bar being reopened this year. I'm really not sure how it is all going to work, I've heard random things about people needing to wear tags around there necks, but I don't see that really working..

Hopefully the nubar will go back to doing ok food and being a chill out area and the old bar to be reopened again, though I would have thought they woul seriously need the membership money to get the bar back into good shape again. It badly needs to be redone.

There was one/two decent lads behind the counter who used to actually give you a substancial dinner for about €6...Also, what was with the feckin chargin for sauce?! If all else fails though, student dinners in Weldons are win...

• Advertisement

There was one/two decent lads behind the counter who used to actually give you a substancial dinner for about €6...Also, what was with the feckin chargin for sauce?! If all else fails though, student dinners in Weldons are win...
    aye, weldons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭glenn3ie

What's weldons?

The slipper, it is the bar with a surpringly nice lounge/function room which serves food and drink and is in general much better than anything on campus...

I can actually understand why they charge tbh.. They can't put bottles of sauce and vinegar on the tables cause students are just going to rob them for there apartments.. The packets of stuff cost a lot more then a bottle, people are just going to take handfulls bearly use them so there going to make a lose and have to keep buying lots of the ****..

Angelkat7 wrote: »
    I can actually understand why they charge tbh.. They can't put bottles of sauce and vinegar on the tables cause students are just going to rob them for there apartments.. The packets of stuff cost a lot more then a bottle, people are just going to take handfulls bearly use them so there going to make a lose and have to keep buying lots of the ****..
    No.

look at the bigger picture - at worst it would cost them a few euro per day

What about those big dispensers like from ny hot dog stands and concerts/festivals etc?

that'd do the job, the blenders dispensers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pasco

well if you look at the new orientation schedule........all the night time events are on in the old bar unlike last yr which was all in the nu bar. Looks like its back to the old bar for the year!

ye thats good news - yer lucky, last year everything in that **** of a place across the way.........arrive in style I say

County colours night and cowboy night...can anyone remember what we had last year? I remember there was a lock and key night...was that at the disorientation ball?

• Advertisement

County colours night and cowboy night...can anyone remember what we had last year? I remember there was a lock and key night...was that at the disorientation ball?
    Ya - it was, and a cracking night in everyones book!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Catuohy

my brother worked in the old bar like...2 years ago maybe 1 has it all gone down hill cos i know he loved it and it was all good crack but now i hear it being compared to the likes of fibbers and it worries me?

Uhoh...a lot of ppl here like fibbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Catuohy

Oh no don't get me wrong fibbers is a good laugh but not for a student bar it's not everyones cup of tea! Needs to attractive a mixed crowd!

Catuohy wrote: »
    Oh no don't get me wrong fibbers is a good laugh but not for a student bar it's not everyones cup of tea! Needs to attractive a mixed crowd!

The mixed crowd is there alright, but the nice attractive sticky floor and smelly toilet appeal is also there! Its a great place don't get me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

How?

carlowboy wrote: »
    How?
    by having a fond view of the establishment

no membership cus its no longer a members bar maybe?

perhaps affected by the new licencing laws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

There is no way in hell DCU will get a public bar license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

by having a fond view of the establishment

:confused:Makes no sense..

Advertisement