Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling routes near Castleknock

Options
  • 04-09-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I live in Castleknock and just got my bike delivered to me from Poland. I was wondering if there are any nice routes around my general area? (I need to get myself familiar with the traffic - I never cycled in Ireland before.)

I got used to cycling in mountains, and my bike is a front suspension MTB. I am looking for some safe and nice routes (don't really enjoy roads with speeding cars). Also... is there a route going along the canal (in Castleknock)? ... this could be nice.

Thanks for help. I am new to this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

marcingaik wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Castleknock and just got my bike delivered to me from Poland. I was wondering if there are any nice routes around my general area?.

On a MTB, I guess you can always go to the Phoenix park for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

For most of the way along the canal to (at least) Maynooth there would be room to cycle a MTB. Was a path, but now a lot of grass.
    If you take a spin out on the train you would be able to ascertain what type of clearance you will have in places. There is another thread regarding cycling along the canal bank - that should point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 marcingaik

Thanks very much for quick response Caroline_ie and ROK ON. I will try Phoenix Park for sure and the I have read few threads about Canal routes as well (swing gates, scumbags throwing stones etc.) but I will try one day the Royal Canal route.

Any other ideas, routes... anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

When you're in the Phoenix Park you should head down towards Magazine Hill, there's a few hills near there.When I was a kid I used to go around there on my BMX. It's not too far from The Wellington Monument. There's another area called Lovers Lane (At least that's what I think it's called) that's near the entrance by Mountsackville, you have to be careful of people walking there. Overall the Phoenix Park wouldn't be great for Mountain Biking though.

Thanks very much Aquinas73 for the detailed info. Also... I am not looking for MTB routes... any routes will do as long as they are safe and nice. The reason I have a MTB bike is that I bought it in Poland and it was obvious choice as I lived in the mountain area (South of Poland - Bielsko-Biala City). I like cycling a lot and want to discover Ireland from that perspective... starting from the closest area to where I live... Castleknock.

Thanks again for your input!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

The canal is great except for a very dangereous stretch (100 Mtrs) between Coolmine Railway station and the next bridge (Porterstown). My advice here is walk past this narrow and rocky section otherwise enjoy. The only kissing gates are at Castleknock /Ashtown/Reillys Bridge no big deal perhaps 10 secs delay. Local gurriers consentrate solely on trains, in many years cycling the path have never had any problems. Dorset Street to Shannon now thats a challenge worth looking at.

Now, thanks to your advice I discovered two great routes... one is the Royal Canal with this stupid gate near 12th Lock (I had no problem, but my wife was not so happy) and Phoenix Park is really a great place to cycle. So we cycled 22 km today and it was fun, safe and wet (rain) ;) We are going do discover these locations even more next time.

Can anyone think of any other routes nearby Castleknock, Phoenix Park etc. ?
    Thanks very much for all your ideas.

Also I have to mention that the prices for simple accessories here in Ireland are crazy. I am talking about simple things like small bags (mounted on frame) or mudguards? Where do you buy this kind of stuff? I have tried hallfords and I am disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I've bought stuff from both these places and found them good:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/d/Cycle/7/1/1/

There are others listed in the wiki:

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Links

The Phoenix Park is about the best place around the Castleknock and Blanchardstown area. There is a nice road down beside the river around the Strawberry Beds, but you'll get a bit more traffic there. You can come straight out the gate of the Park near to Mount Sackville school, go straight through the junction down the hill past the Angler's Rest pub and then follow the road as far as Lucan if you want. There are some nice short climbs up away from the river off that road if you like that kind of thing. (If you need a stop for refreshments I'd recommend the Strawberry Hall pub :) )

I cycled the canal route out as far as Maynooth a couple of years back on a hardtail MTB and it was grand (apart from that dodgy section between Castleknock and Coolmine railway stations and on up to Porterstown). I haven't done it recently though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

It may seem daft..... but from Castleknock you could cycle into Fairview and along the Cycle path towards howth. its pretty much the best route in the City...... and you'll get great views of the rain clouds coming in. its only going to be about 15 / 20 minutes in traffic each way and the cycle path to sutton(bar one section) is not attached to the road...

I guarantee it lovely.

Advertisement