Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering

Options
  • 04-09-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi i drive a 96 ford fiesta classic and the power steering is gone on it. Does anyone know what this could be? I had the radiator replaced 2 weeks ago and i noticed the power steering is gone this week i dont know if that had anything to do with it. I checked the tryes and they are fine . I also checked the fluid for it and its fine too. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Assuming the drive belt is tight, it could be air in the PS circuit (possibly due to a cooling pipe being disturbed in the rad change). If it's not too bad, you could try turning the steering wheel quickly from lock to lock several times with the engine off, checking the PS fluid level frequently and topping up if necessary. Then start the engine and turn the steering from lock to lock several times, this time slowly and not hesitating at full lock. Again frequent checks of fluid level -- and possibly get someone to watch the reservoir to see if any air bubbles appear. If that doesn't work, then a vacuum pump may be required, so unless you have one it's a job for a mechanic. Alternatively of course, the PS pump may be shot, but the closeness to the rad change suggests otherwise.

Advertisement