Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

205 guns, 7000 rounds, 30 kgs of drugs and 4 million euro

Options
  • 04-09-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Has organised crime just moved up a level if a well designed police operation can recover so much firepower, with possibly more to come?

While the activities of Dubllin criminal gangs tend to be dismissed as being a threat mainly unto themselves, I can't help but wonder if the Powers That Be (and the public) aren't going to wake up one morning and wonder when Ireland became a "narco-state" enriching murderers.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mike65 wrote: »
    Has organised crime just moved up a level if a well designed police operation can recover so much firepower, with possibly more to come?

While the activities of Dubllin criminal gangs tend to be dismissed as being a threat mainly unto themselves, I can't help but wonder if the Powers That Be (and the public) aren't going to wake up one morning and wonder when Ireland became a "narco-state" enriching murderers.

Mike.

I'd like to think that it proves that the law enforcers are better at their jobs, but it seems that many of the criminals involved don't exactly keep a low profile, especially when they're having pot-shots at each other in the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

bet the cops were just lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Laser guided weapons and hand grenades as well seized in Holland but bound for Ireland.

These aren't gangs, these are private ****ing armies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Laser guided weapons and hand grenades as well seized in Holland but bound for Ireland.

These aren't gangs, these are private ****ing armies.

i thought those were from the wholesale business in the netherlands they found enough guns here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

at first I read this that the whole lot was coming here, but on second reading it's not so clear.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0904/netherlands.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

bet the cops were just lucky

Doesn't look like it in this case. Since the Morris tribunal there are a number of restructuring programmes that are already showing benefits.
    For e.g Snitches and their information are now a pooled resource, centrally organised. Seams to be reaping big dividends.
    Also organised crime is being tackled with much more joined up thinking now than what had gone before (more from Morris trib.). Detectives aren't permitted to be lone mavericks anymore.
    In fairness to the garda on this case and on a fair few high profile ones in the last year...job well done. Credit where credit's due.

I don't think organised crime has moved up a level. This looks like they've hit the main arms supplier to Irish criminals. big catch that should have been done years ago but with a crooked force badly managed the crims could walk rings around the gardai. I think this very important find is the result of long, long overdue credible police effort. As opposed to organised crime moving up a level I think it being dis-mantled from the top down. At feckin last.

It looks like the "big boys" in the cities are being fairly well catered for, but in the smaller communities, the up and coming mini-godfathers in the making seem to go unhindered in their activities. When one of these mysteriously affluent people is known by the entire community for being engaged in various criminal activities, including drug-dealing, and is apparently only living on a state benefit, then something must be sadly lacking in policing at this local level.

Is the CAB not interested in "small-fry", or don't they get to know about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

On a lighter note it appears that the gangs are supplying the army now! :D

Pyridine wrote: »
    On a lighter note it appears that the gangs are supplying the army now! :D

Let's hope that the gangsters don't decide to amalgamate and take on the army. Colombia Mk 2. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What the hell is a laser-guided firearm?

I don't think they're moving up at all, it's not as if they've been particularly quiet and unarmed up until this point. We just don't hear about it much.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

A glock with a laser pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's like a laser pointer for target acquisition.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018EWD8Y/ref=nosim/?tag=becomecom-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B0018EWD8Y&linkCode=asn

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

fair play to the gaurds getting all that gear with no weopans themselves, could have turned nasty real easy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

sink wrote: »
    It's like a laser pointer for target acquisition.

Technically, a laser pointer for aiming, not acquisition.

My comment was towards the utter idiocy of the drama caused by the description 'laser-guided firearm'

For starters, a laser guided weapon homes in on the return caused by an emitted laser. Hellfire missiles, Paveway bombs, that sort of thing. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a laser-guided firearm.

Secondly, although handy, a laser sight doesn't make a weapon particularly more lethal. Indeed, I never used mine for sighting, the iron sights seemed a lot simpler, but instead for marking targets for aircraft.

NTM

Overature wrote: »
    fair play to the gaurds getting all that gear with no weopans themselves, could have turned nasty real easy

if they ever stand and fight and get away with their lives and the Gardai then dont get a conviction or arrests after then it would be a watershed.

Advertisement