Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget - Carbon tax??

Options
  • 04-09-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Any thoughts on what the outcome of the early budget and 'carbon taxs' will be ... how will they hit the motorist? increase tax take on fuel or mess with road tax ... ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

In my view, any government that imposes such taxes (not just on motor fuel but heating and industrial fuels as well) in a time of recession like the present, when everyone and every business is under pressure, deserves to be shot out of hand for gross incompetence. We really need to shelve this hysterical green agenda until the country is back on it's feet, not keep on jacking up the price of everything.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Yes I agree, any gov. that would "kick you when you are down" via fuel taxes, is really pretty stupid. (That doesn't rule this gov. out mind...)
    However, there are plenty of more ways to skin a cat.
    All "luxury" items will be hit. The usuals will apply, fags, drink, taxes on a second property etc.
    The motor trade is on its knees. The haluage companys are going out of buisness left and right. Mainly due to the over infalted price of fuel. Airlines are withdrawing flights due to fuel charges.
    They already shot themselves in the foot with the CO2 "tax" scheme (imo), I don't think they predicted the sales of efficent diesel cars. Hence a loss in revinue.
    All this has to be corrected. How, I do not know.....

I do know that this budget will be good for no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I suspect that the 254 motor tax on cemmercials will be increased as will the 50 euro vrt to import them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Yes I agree, any gov. that would "kick you when you are down" via fuel taxes, is really pretty stupid. (That doesn't rule this gov. out mind...)

Fuel taxes are everywhere, Ireland is still one of the Cheapest countries in Europe for Fuel.
    However, there are plenty of more ways to skin a cat.
    All "luxury" items will be hit. The usuals will apply, fags, drink, taxes on a second property etc.
    So what ?
    The motor trade is on its knees. The haluage companys are going out of buisness left and right. Mainly due to the over infalted price of fuel. Airlines are withdrawing flights due to fuel charges.

The motor trade is on its knees because the economy in general is in tatters, people aren't going to go buying new cars as their jobs may be at risk, losing money on their house, lost their job as a builder, carpenter, plumber etc.

How is the price of fuel for Airlines Irelands fault ? This is the case everywhere, a resource that is not renewable is only going to get more and more expensive.
    They already shot themselves in the foot with the CO2 "tax" scheme (imo), I don't think they predicted the sales of efficent diesel cars. Hence a loss in revinue.
    All this has to be corrected. How, I do not know.....

The idea is to save money in Co2 offset fines, not make money. All countries in Kyoto have a limit to reach, otherwise their going to be paying big hefty fines.

Staying on the old system and getting more in revenue would have been plain stupid as the Co2 fines would be massive.
    I do know that this budget will be good for no-one.

Its not the Budget, its just the state of the market at the moment, unfortunatly the Irish economy is very dependant on the US and the US is a shambles at the mo.

Chin up though, Irelands income tax is still really low !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hasn't there recently been a €2billion shortfall in taxes thanks to rich fookers and businesses moving their money away to ride out the harder times?

Well that shortfall will have to be made up somewhere and I can only guess that motors will suffer in one way or another. They might possibly introduce a new 'green' tax on 'gas guzzlers', that would be something that a majority of road-users wouldn't mind, whether out of a green agenda, jealousy or some other reason.

Motors won't be the only thing hit of course but if they are that's where I see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hopefully they will hammer all these large and disgusting SUV;s Jeeps and MPVs out of existance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hopefully they will hammer all these large and disgusting SUV;s Jeeps and MPVs out of existance.

Well I'm not a big fan of them either but there's no need for that. Each to their own. This argument has been done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Jeeps are the motor of choice for the survivor! How many jeeps got through some of the floods pulling people out of sticky situations!!

Only stirring sh1t that argument has being done to death and bringing it up is crazy.
    The motorist is the whipping boy of the "green" brigade. They sound tax cows or foods that make you fart since its doing as much damage to the envoirment.

I think they would be really silly in increasing motor tax as its a industry that is in trouble and one along with the housing industry bringing in HUGE amounts of money each year.
    Fuel they might Tax the average motorist with regards VAT but companies get this back.

I think they'll need to be extremely careful with what exactly they do with regards to the average joe.
    I think they should leave the tax system pretty much alone within motoring as people have only had a few months to get there heads around it in this time of "termoil"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

They could hit the motorists with a carbon tax on fuel, because driving is a luxury item, isn't it? (unless you have a government Merc of course). Never mind the fact that we don't have any recognisable public transport system. Also tax home heating oil (off thread--sorry). After all, people have already seen their heating cost go through the roof, so a bit more won't be noticed, will it? At the present rate they will have us all back to living in caves and hunting for our breakfast.

I don't have any more idea than anyone else what the budget will bring, but whatever it is it won't take effect before 1st Jan 2009 (unless they are imaginative and impose a retrospective tax). All I know is that with the present crowd in office it won't help the guy who needs his car to get to work.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

craichoe wrote: »
    The idea is to save money in Co2 offset fines, not make money. All countries in Kyoto have a limit to reach, otherwise their going to be paying big hefty fines.

Staying on the old system and getting more in revenue would have been plain stupid as the Co2 fines would be massive.

Why not just pull out of Kyoto...

...kinda stupid paying fines when really you are not obliged to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

All "carbon taxes" are already being collected via road tax, fuel tax excise duty etc.

There are windfall profits being made on the basis of the rise in the cost of Oil even though it is now heading South (light sweet crude at $108)
    and analysts predict further falls.

Though of course the Green Eco-Nutz loonies love to talk about "the end of oil" and needless to say so do the Oil companies because it artificially boosts up their outrageous profits.

The drop in Oil prices is never reflected at the pumps in the same way the increases are.

The Green/FF Gov are in reality collecting vast sums on carbon products as they are.

I expect FF at the behest of the Green loonies to impose some form of joke Carbon tax (using the Green's as an excuse to increase stealth taxation).

In a way I hope they do as it will only lead to pwople hating them more and chucking them out of power a.s.a.p.

Advertisement