Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points?!

Options
  • 04-09-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

if i am a provisional license driver and get caught by garda driving on my own, whats the worst they can do to me? what is generally happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

1000 euro fine (add another 1000 if you don't have you L plates up)....

what generally happens doesn't really matter, it's what the Guard on the day wants to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

thus some are getting off scott-free when stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

stopped about 10 times since new rules came in, have had a few " oh you know you shouldnt be driving" speeches and i dont even need to make up an excuse cos he then waves me on haha,,, well thats what happens me but I honestly hand on heard know a person who got the 1000 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I suppose it depends who you get and what mood they are in, etc,etc.
    Most do want the hassle or paperwork, so if everything else is in order tax,etc,wearing seatbelt,most would warn you about the fine and ask you to remember for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'll admit I've had a friend made an 'example' of with the fine, but there are a few others who continue to drive unaccompanied. I personally don't want to risk it, test is so near don't want to mess it up before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

They're known to give a "get your full license asap" lecture but apart from that ive never heard of anyone getting fined. I don't agree at all with learners driving unaccompanied but you'd want to be one serious git to fine a person that much money and I honestly don't believe there are many on the force who would be that harsh towards someone simply driving their car. They need to lower that fine to something reasonable and start enforcing these laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dunno why they made such a big song and dance about making changes to the 2nd provisional and then promise they're going to crack down on everyone if they don't appear to be taking it seriously. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

As I've posted before in this forum I can't understand why the law isn't being enforced much with the government so badly in need of the money it would bring in.

I don't have anyone to help me practice, I'm older than most of the learners posting here (30) so not living at home with parents, etc. I did 10 lessons with an instructor and bought a car. The car was just parked in my drive for a few weeks only being brought out for the lessons. I was scared to bring the car out on my own. My instructor said I was getting too dependent on lessons, that you need to be able to drive on your own. So eventually I did venture out on my own and got on fine.

I'm doing 1 lesson a week at the moment and have a test booked for early November which my instructor thinks I can pass. That would be 3 months from starting which would be great if I pass. (It's a 2nd licence, so 6 month rule doesn't apply). I really want to pass as I don't want to be continually worrying about the law. I walk to work so I don't drive much.

I know some people will say it was wrong of the instructor to tell me to bring the car out on my own but I'd like to know if anyone agrees about getting too dependant on having someone with you all the time, especially if it's after 2 years of driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I no someone that got the 1000 euro fine they got stoped and toghut they got away with it but then a few weeks later they got the fine so you never no somepeople that think they are geting away with it could end up with a few fines

Advertisement