Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Shelton a good wrestler?

• 04-09-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭

Shelton has got a bit of a push since he came to Smackdown he went over the very popular Matt Hardy to become the US Champion and is currently booked to wrestle/job to Hunter in the championship scramble. The one accusation whichstill refuses to go away however is despite his undoubted athletic ability he is merely a spot monkey who lacks the charisma and ring psychology to get the crowd into his matches which for many wrestling fans are essential tools if you want to be taken seriously. His fans will argue that this is unfair as throughout his career he has never really being given a shot at the main event and if he was he could be as over as Jeff Hardy and also reject the spot monkey accusation.
    Anyways what are board members views of Shelton?

Do you rate Shelton? 12 votes

Despite what people say about his athletic abilities I do not find him that interesting
    0% 0 votes
    One of the most underrated in the WWE today. I have no major problem with him getting a push.
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Shelton has got a bit of a push since he came to Smackdown he went over the very popular Matt Hardy to become the US Champion and is currently booked to wrestle/job to Hunter in the championship scramble. The one accusation whichstill refuses to go away however is despite his undoubted athletic ability he is merely a spot monkey who lacks the charisma and ring psychology to get the crowd into his matches which for many wrestling fans are essential tools if you want to be taken seriously. His fans will argue that this is unfair as throughout his career he has never really being given a shot at the main event and if he was he could be as over as Jeff Hardy and also reject the spot monkey accusation.
    Anyways what are board members views of Shelton?

Thats just racist :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Average at worst...Good at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

rovert wrote: »

Good times eh rovvy?:D:pac:

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Not for you, in fairness you came out which such rubbish in it. But lets not deal on the past.

Ive just read someone referring to Shelton as Resthold McBothedspot which kind of sums him up. Im awaiting posts about his excellent matches and brillant mic skills.

• Advertisement

Not for you, in fairness you came out which such rubbish in it. But lets not deal on the past.

Ive just read someone referring to Shelton as Resthold McBothedspot which kind of sums him up. Im awaiting posts about his excellent matches and brillant mic skills.

I don't think there is a need to debate it really, WWE are pushing him right now so I'm sure they are happy with his performance, otherwise why waste a spot in the SD scramble?

I don't think there is a need to debate it really, WWE are pushing him right now so I'm sure they are happy with his performance, otherwise why waste a spot in the SD scramble?

As the brand lacks depth? JUST A GUESS

As the brand lacks depth? JUST A GUESS

Why aren't they using the Undertaker for the scramble instead of prolonging this Vicki/ La Familia garbage? Or how about using the Big Show?

Why aren't they using the Undertaker for the scramble instead of prolonging this Vicki/ La Familia garbage? Or how about using the Big Show?

As it is a nothing show. While having Taker and HHH in the same ring for a long time in a ****ty scramble is probably the dumbest idea Ive ever heard. Same story to a far lesser extent with Show.

Wow. Can you not be civil when talking to someone for once? I'm done with this thread mate and you. Before I go I'll leave you with something from the Observer:

Here's the real reason why MVP has "heat:" according to the Wrestling Observer, "The heat on MVP may have started with a drug test - wrestlers aren't exactly down with the idea of standing around totally exposed to give a urine sample. During a test, MVP asked the monitor if he had graduated from college, then after he answered, said something to the effect of "you went to school for four years to watch people's dicks". The monitor complained to Johnny Ace and Brother Love told the wrestlers not to harass them. The reason the story came out about him being asked to observe Shelton Benjamin's work is because Benjamin is currently getting high praise for his current heel work,particularly the way he smiles after doing a heel deed."

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/84480/The-Thursday-Small-For-All-News-Report:-09.04.09.htm

Benjamin can't be doing that bad if agents are asking MVP to learn from him.

• Advertisement

Wow. Can you not be civil when talking to someone for once? I'm done with this thread mate and you. Before I go I'll leave you with something from the Observer:

Here's the real reason why MVP has "heat:" according to the Wrestling Observer, "The heat on MVP may have started with a drug test - wrestlers aren't exactly down with the idea of standing around totally exposed to give a urine sample. During a test, MVP asked the monitor if he had graduated from college, then after he answered, said something to the effect of "you went to school for four years to watch people's dicks". The monitor complained to Johnny Ace and Brother Love told the wrestlers not to harass them. The reason the story came out about him being asked to observe Shelton Benjamin's work is because Benjamin is currently getting high praise for his current heel work,particularly the way he smiles after doing a heel deed."

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/84480/The-Thursday-Small-For-All-News-Report:-09.04.09.htm

Benjamin can't be doing that bad if agents are asking MVP to learn from him.

Oh LZ5by5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I remember that topic, since then bugger all has changed, Matt is still a scrub in singles.

Is Shelton a good wrestler, yes he is, but he has zero charisma, his mic skill is average at least, and being called "The Gold Standard" for being a four year midcarder makes zero sense to me.

I think he blew his chance four years ago when he was pretty much launched as a singles star, in the 2004 draft, but it was never taken further. For Benjy, i believe it's a case of too little, too late.

VR!

I remember that topic, since then bugger all has changed, Matt is still a scrub in singles.

Correction: a scrub on the cusp of the ECW Title.:pac:
    Is Shelton a good wrestler, yes he is, but he has zero charisma, his mic skill is average at least, and being called "The Gold Standard" for being a four year midcarder makes zero sense to me.

While his mic work is still poor, he seems to be improving in the ring in terms of interacting with the crowd. As the quote I previously posted said:

The reason the story came out about him being asked to observe Shelton Benjamin's work is because Benjamin is currently getting high praise for his current heel work,particularly the way he smiles after doing a heel deed."
    I think he blew his chance four years ago when he was pretty much launched as a singles star, in the 2004 draft, but it was never taken further. For Benjy, i believe it's a case of too little, too late.

VR!

To be fair, could I not say the same thing about Edge? It took a very long time, a lot of stop-starting, until he eventually made it. Yes Edge has charisma that Benjamin can only dream of but surely if creative gives him a high standard to work with he could get by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is he a good wrestler? No - he's a great wrestler. But as VR says unfortunately he's very much lacking in the charisma/mic skills department. I really expected him to have developed more confidence in these areas by now but it just hasn't happened.

As the quote I previously posted said:

The reason the story came out about him being asked to observe Shelton Benjamin's work is because Benjamin is currently getting high praise for his current heel work,particularly the way he smiles after doing a heel deed."

Stop posting this as it makes you incredibly foolish to those actually read the article from the Observer, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Shelton has had some truly great matches, the one with HBK being the standout and when he gets his spots right he's entertaining. But I've never understood why he's so average on the mat when he had such a good ameteur background

Correction: a scrub on the cusp of the ECW Title.:pac:

Hah, jobberweight title of a bastardised brand! What a pittance! :pac:[/quote]

While his mic work is still poor, he seems to be improving in the ring in terms of interacting with the crowd. As the quote I previously posted said:

Still too little too late.
    To be fair, could I not say the same thing about Edge? It took a very long time, a lot of stop-starting, until he eventually made it. Yes Edge has charisma that Benjamin can only dream of but surely if creative gives him a high standard to work with he could get by.

No real comparison there. For Edge, it really wasn't a case of stop starting, more of a stall at the beginning, and when WWE had finally figured how to get him pushed, he f*cked up his neck. Fate's intervention there, and it left him out for a year. Once he came back, he was slowly being built as a jealous, obsessive heel, and that character had to be developed.

Benjy is just.... same old Benjy with a paint job on his hair. When someone told him he had the colour of a Dublin City Council bin truck, I guess he didn't quite get the meaning of it.

VR!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Shelton has had some truly great matches, the one with HBK being the standout and when he gets his spots right he's entertaining. But I've never understood why he's so average on the mat when he had such a good ameteur background

Because being a solid worker just isn't enough in Pro Wrestling, if that was the case then most of the ROH guys would have been out of there about four years ago. You need to be able to interact with the crowd, a trait Benjy has lacked for years, if you have that, you can even get away with having crap Mic skills, Undertaker from 1990-1996 was a good example of that because he couldn't cut a promo to save his life until the end of 1996, hence why Paul Bearer was eventually ditched. But he had his entrance which caught the crowd, so they were already wooed before the bell had even rang. As far as they were concerned, they got their moneys worth.

If you lack certain elements, you can overcome it by compensating with something else. To quote Heyman "accentuate the positives and hide the negatives". Benjy just appears to lack too many elements in my honest opinion.

VR!

I think Benjamin is good in the ring to be honest. One of my favourite actual wrestlers. I think they need to put him with a manager though. Someone who can talk for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

That quote about MVP being told to watch Shelton wasn't in the Observer. It's such a misinterpretation of what was written. What was actually written doesn't even have all that much to do with Shelton being good or MVP being bad

I haven't seen Shelton on Smackdown yet but his ECW work didn't interest me much. Messing up spots and lots of restholds are what I remember, as rovert mentioned. He'll pull out some big athletic move that people like, but there's guys like Evan Bourne and Jimmy Yang who can do that and put on better matches than Shelton

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    That quote about MVP being told to watch Shelton wasn't in the Observer. It's such a misinterpretation of what was written. What was actually written doesn't even have all that much to do with Shelton being good or MVP being bad

I told you LZ5by5, dont use third party sources.

I haven't seen Shelton on Smackdown yet but his ECW work didn't interest me much. Messing up spots and lots of restholds are what I remember, as rovert mentioned. He'll pull out some big athletic move that people like, but there's guys like Evan Bourne and Jimmy Yang who can do that and put on better matches than Shelton

Not by me. When a website presents a quote by saying "according to The Wrestling Observer" what I am meant to think? Am I meant to automatically think that these guys are intentionally taking things out of context?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Glad to see I'm not the only person to see that Shelton has some worth in this company.

I really laughed my ass off when he won the US Title.That was as big a **** you as you will get without him winning a World Title.

I know a lot of you will think he got the belt because of that twat MVP being a snobby wanker which is true but you have to give the guy a reason to not pull a Carlito and be a total underwhelmer.He is beyond doubt the best competitor to perform in MITB overall.I f you disagree I would like to hear a well constructed arguement on who has been better in MITB over the last few years.

Glad to see I'm not the only person to see that Shelton has some worth in this company.

I really laughed my ass off when he won the US Title.That was as big a **** you as you will get without him winning a World Title.

I know a lot of you will think he got the belt because of that twat MVP being a snobby wanker which is true but you have to give the guy a reason to not pull a Carlito and be a total underwhelmer.He is beyond doubt the best competitor to perform in MITB overall.I f you disagree I would like to hear a well constructed arguement on who has been better in MITB over the last few years.

Im sorry, What?

Not by me. When a website presents a quote by saying "according to The Wrestling Observer" what I am meant to think? Am I meant to automatically think that these guys are intentionally taking things out of context?:confused:

LZ5by5, Ive said it a million times and there has been topics on strictly this issue recently. You are around these boards enough to see them.

The main reason why he got the US belt is the same reason they gave Mark Henry the ECW title, rehired and pushed Cryme Tyme, hired D-Lo Brown, Ron Killings and Tony Atlas.

Regardless of his performances in MITB, the next night on Raw or whatever program he was on that particular year he is no more or less over than he was the previous week before that year's MITB.

Ive no idea what you are drippling on about when it comes to MVP.

He is beyond doubt the best competitor to perform in MITB overall.I f you disagree I would like to hear a well constructed arguement on who has been better in MITB over the last few years.

What did he do apart from jump off the ropes onto a ladder? I remember him botching one of those spots as well

The main reason why he got the US belt is the same reason they gave Mark Henry the ECW title, rehired and pushed Cryme Tyme, hired D-Lo Brown, Ron Killings and Tony Atlas.

And gave Kofi the IC title?

And gave Kofi the IC title?

Yep, all in the same time period too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Morrison this year was far better than Shelton has been in any of those matches.

Morrison this year was far better than Shelton has been in any of those matches.

Hardly surprising, he's the best midcarder they have by some distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He's up there with Edge as the best in the company in my opinion.

LZ5by5 seems to think he has been unfairly treated by me here. What do others think?

I'm thinking that we shouldn't take it off topic. What LZ5by5 posted from whatever website it was wasn't the truth though. Another lesson in not trusting those "newz" sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Probably because he didn't have to team with Charlie Haas(Haas is great at his new copycat gimmick)in an average tag team,have a gimmick that claims he is the "GOLD STANDARD".

I don't disagree that Morrison is good,he must have worked his ass off after his reputation was tarnished by Melina.

Whoever said Morrison was a better MITB competitor should get some fresh air.I don't see him doing anything in MITB except nearly hang himself on the ropes and do a moonsault with a ladder(It was a great spot).Shelton nearly kills himself to give a good ladder match to the fans.

Maybe I just like spotmonkeys like Sabu,Jack Evans and even Teddy Hart and appreciate them more then you guys.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking that we shouldn't take it off topic. What LZ5by5 posted from whatever website it was wasn't the truth though. Another lesson in not trusting those "newz" sites

He has reacted to me like "how was I to know" when in past like in this thread for example (see #84) quite definitively I told him not to trust those sites:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055328023
    Shelton nearly kills himself to give a good ladder match to the fans.

Maybe I just like spotmonkeys like Sabu,Jack Evans and even Teddy Hart and appreciate them more then you guys.

Out of the four mentioned fans care less about Shelton after he does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Benjamin showed plenty of charisma in his match with HHH on Smackdown!

Really enjoyed that match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Shelly B is a good wrestler, but his singles career has been very start and stop.

Honestly I think The Worlds Greatest Tag Team should have been kept together for at least another year before splitting and setting the two on singles tracks. They were a good tag team, and should have been given the chance to establish themselves as a great one.

Shelton hasn't exactly set the world on fire but it seemed in the past as soon as he got a bit of momentum going it was stopped soon after. But for a most of the time he's been a singles competitor he's been on the Triple H / John Cena / Vinnie Mac show. A good number of superstars have seen their momentum ebb under the same circumstances. Carlito is a prime example of a wrestler who went to Raw with a tonne of momentum, only for it to stall in no time.

Going to eCw hardly helped. He may have done well there ... but nobody was paying too much attention, especially once it became all about CM Punk.

It does seem he's getting another chance on Smackdown. And I think he'll do well, and make his way into the upper tier of wrestlers in wwe. If not actually carrying the belt, then certainly someone who can be a decent contender and step up to headline the odd ppv.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Chris Benoit yet, another good wrestler who had very little in the way of mic skills.

Cactus Col wrote: »

Surprised nobody has mentioned Chris Benoit yet, another good wrestler who had very little in the way of mic skills.

Shelton is arguably a good wrestler, Benoit was inarguably one of the best of his generation. He also had an everyman quality that was endearing

Stay on topic

• Advertisement

Edit sent original post to thread in feedback.

As it is a nothing show. While having Taker and HHH in the same ring for a long time in a ****ty scramble is probably the dumbest idea Ive ever heard. Same story to a far lesser extent with Show.

Well after last night, can this post be re-evaluated? :pac:

On topic this time
    was Shleton ever boring last night.

He was useless last night imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

True

He did do a cool jump... Once again, that's about it