Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting land Q

• 04-09-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

How does renting land work exactly? I have been told that a land renting year isn't actually a year (i.e. 12 months) in some cases depending on the month you take on the land, you're years lease may actually only be 9 months?

so, for those of you who rent (grazing) land, what sort of system is it, and what sort of contract should I get drawn up to cover myself? so I won't pay for 12 months grazing and then be kicked of the land within 6 months etc! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

its really depends on who your renting the land from. i rent out land on a yearly basis on crops, although obviously there are a few months when the land is idle, the rate is calculated on a per acre basis. grazing land wouldnt be as expensive as tillae land.
    all leases are differet with different clauses, just make sure you understand what your signing, if youve any question consult a solistor. some land owners are very flexible others are not
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Thanks, so basically have a contract saying €x for 12 months rent of x acres grazing land in x address and get them to sign it and sign it myself? would that be valid? Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

even a contract written on a piece of tiolet paper is valid once it has signatures.
    you can discuss the contract with the owner of the land but usually it will be them writting it up, but treat it as you would any other contract because he/she will probably have different clauses in it that you may not understand(im not sure if you won land already) but basically its got to do with tax incentives and things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the con acre callender for grazing starts the 1st of april and ends the 1st of november

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

also to cover everyone involved you should have a map of the land showing exact boundaries

i think every farmer/landowner should have a map of the land they own
    a photocopy should suffice so there can be no confusion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

You should also contact an estate agent or auctioneer in the area to enquire about the price of land locally and what is the going rate for renting rather than taking for granted what the landowner will quote you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

thanks. I have a plan of all the land and boundaries around here so I suppose a photocopy of that will do. also the price is very reasonable if it is for 12 months so I won't push my luck by haggling any further lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

If you're told you're getting it for 12months, make sure you get that in a written contract - are you getting it from a farmer or just a someone who happens to own the plot of land for no reason, not agricultural or otherwise? Agri land is rented more often on an 11 months basis so make sure you know where you stand. Believe me, renting land can be messy, so thread carefully!!!!;)

Advertisement