Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken Engine Mount

Options
  • 04-09-2008 3:34pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have just blown the left hand engine mount on my 2002 Honda Civic Type R.

Basically when driving, under acceleration its fine, but when you let off or coast there is a knocking.

When it happened I gently drove home and have not driven the car since. I now need to get this to my mechanic. Is it ok to drive this gently to where I'll get it fixed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Can you see where the mounting is broken ?

Perhaps you could use a vice grips to hold it in place till you get to a mechanic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Take it very handy as the broken mount will put strain on the other mounts and bolts holding them. Be gentlw with the clutch & gearbox and dont use the engine for braking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's the one on the left hand side of the engine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

I would be surprised if a vice grip would do any good.

Usually replacing a motor mount isn't too difficult, so if you are mechanically inclined you might consider doing the change yourself.

You just need to jack up the engine a little bit and remove/replace the old mount. Use a thick piece of wood on top of the jack and raise the engine under the oil pan. The wood keeps the jack from denting the oil pan and needs to be thick. Don't jack it up too much though, but just enough to allow you to attach the new mount.

Barring that, I would be very careful if you do drive it, because you are putting a lot of strain on the other mounts.

Advertisement