Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STAR FNC Model 7000 review

Options
  • 04-09-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Manufaturer: STAR
    Build Material: Stamped steel, Alluminium alloy, Nylon 66 (Synthetic grips)
    Stock power: 390-400fps with .2's. Warning! If you intend to import this AEG into Ireland it'll have to be downgraded to legal muzzle power first.
    Gearbox: Custom (Modded V2) Polycarbide shell, quick release spring guide, mechanical 3 shot burst. Motor and hopup are secured to the gearbox.
    Included in box: AEG & one metal 120 round STANAG midcap magazine. No instructions, battery, cleaning rod or BB's.

The FNC arrived in a plain cardboard box with a formed foam interior for the AEG and magazine, not much chance of transit damage with this one. First off this gun is heavy, 8.2lbs unloaded and 8.4 loaded, this puts it at the same weight as it's RS counterpart. I ordered the smaller Model 7000, AKA FNC Para, the larger Model 2000 is about 5" longer.

IMG_0704.jpg
    Full view, left side.

IMG_0706.jpg
    Full view, right side.

The build quality of the body is quite high. Upper receiver is stamped steel and lower is Alluminium alloy like the RS. The frontend seems to be a combo of both and is solid as a rock. The rear sight is close to an M14 tangent sight with windage control. The foresight is a post with arms design similar to an M1 Garand although the post is identicle to an AK version and can be adjusted for elevation with an AK sight tool.

IMG_0708.jpg

Selector switch is a 4 position type, Safe, Single, 3 shot burst and Full auto. The selector is much larger then an Armalite selector so moving through it's fire modes with your thumb isn't possible. Some can't get it beyond semi with their thumb, others like myself can get it as far as 3 shot. Two hand mode selection is required.

IMG_0709.jpg

The Bolt and carrier are a particular favourate of mine on this gun. A large 45 degree charging handle much like the one on the Gewehr 43. Loacted on the right hand side as the FNC uses the same internal mechanism as the AK series of rifles. The carrier is almost full travel, a bit over three quarters but doesn't lock back unfortunatly. The tension mounted dust shield is quality, like on the real steel it prevents dust and dirt entering the receiver when the carrier is in it's forward position and raises up when the bolt is pulled back. This has the added advantege of hiding the gearbox when the carrier is forward, very nice :) On the early production models the charging handle was attached to the bolt carrier with a cheap pot metal screw. Pulling back on the handle and letting go would result in your charging handle sailing off into the distance :( Fortunatly STAR have fixed this problem and the handle is now bolted to the bolt carrier. Pulling back and the bolt and letting go produces one of the best sounds I've heard from any AEG (and I own a VFC AK74) I'd put it on par with the M14 bolt, not as loud but just as good.

IMG_0712.jpg

The upper receiver has also been stamped with real company trademarks, the models caliber and seriel number.

Detail.jpg
    Notice the wield marks on the receiver, the same as the real steel FNC.

IMG_0710.jpg
    Frontend

The folding stock is full Alluminium alloy, very solid. On some FNC's the butt of the stock was rubber coated, this has been omitted on STAR's model as it's based on the earlier production models. The stock folds to the right side of the receiver and is held under tension by a large high gauge spring. This presents one of the problems with STAR's build. On the real FNC there is a lever located on the bottom of the stock mount, moving this lever to one side releases the spring tension allowing easy folding of the stock. STAR hasn't included this and as a result folding the stock is quite a problem. Moreover the spring is prone to seizing quite quickly, a problem the real steel also suffers from, mine has already started to seize. The spring has to regularly lubricated to prevent this. The stock must be pulled downard and then folded/unfolded. Failing to do this properly will cause metal on metal grinding and the stock will eventually not lock in the folded position.

IMG_0711.jpg

The grips are good quality, especially the FN type pistol grip, well molded and strong black look. As with the real FNC the full weight of the receiver falls on the bridge of your thumb, prolonged use without cloves can become quite painfull. The foregrip is again well molded with a small seemline that is hardly noticable. It's held in place by a Delta ring similar to an M4's but is not a full circle, the FNC's delta only retracts at the bottom. Removing and replacing the foregrip is a pain until you get the correct technique down.

IMG_0707.jpg

Battery space is good, I can fit a 9.6v 1500mAh Firefox with room to spare. For some reason STAR included a really long connecting wire, ensuring this is well tucked away before you replace the foregrip is important.

The FNC has 3 sling points, one on the rear of the receiver, one on the rear of the stock and a free spinning sling point on the barrel. Cranked trigger guard allows you to rest your finger inside away from the trigger.

The included midcap magazine is excellent. Sheet steel construction, 120 round and feed perfectly. I'll be getting more of them although are quite pricey, RRP is $22 each. Standard Armalite type magazine locking mechanism. Pressing the release button doesn't cause the mag to drop out, they have to be pulled out. I'm very pleased with this, drop out magazines is one of the worst idea's in gun manufacture.

Overall I love the body on this AEG, I'm sure you could hammer nails with it and not break it. I'm a tough room when it comes to AEG builds after using a VFC AK for so long but the STAR FNC fits the bill.

I haven't used it in a skirmish yet so I'll hold off on a performance review untill that time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey1666

how much did you pay for this heavenly item ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

210 Euro with shipping from gunnerairsoft. That was at the sale price and including my lifetime discount I have with gunner. The strength of the Euro has also dropped quite a bit in the last few days so you'd probably be looking at a bit more. With tax expect it to be about 300 Euro altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey1666

Fiach Dubh wrote: »
    210 Euro with shipping from gunnerairsoft. That was at the sale price and including my lifetime discount I have with gunner. The strength of the Euro has also dropped quite a bit in the last few days so you'd probably be looking at a bit more. With tax expect it to be about 300 Euro altogether.

I cant afford that, but man its amazing. Im going for the type 89 because it looks like it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

great review and truly amazing piece....would love one if i had the cash..really great pics as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

*UPDATE*

I was able to test the FNC at HRTA yesterday. First off it's getting great range with a 300 fps spring alongside my teammates STAR M60 EO4 also running at 300 fps. However both guns seem to have a big problem with .2 bb's, they are just too light for the hop-up. I could only get a flat trajectory with the FNC with the hop all the way off and even then there was a slight upward curve to the shots after about 80 feet. The answer will certainly be heavier BB's, my guess would be .25's which I'm quite pleased about since I've always found .25's to be far more accurate then .20's but only worth using in more expensive guns with a good overall internal build.

All fire modes worked perfectly, I didn't get one misselect all day. In actual games I was using semi and 3 shot burst all the time, never once feeling the need to go full auto. During the entire day I fired off about 6 mid-caps worth of BB's, about 550 shots. The mechanical 3 shot burst is dead on the money, always three rounds fired. The shots stay true to about 70-80 feet and then split into a two foot wide cloud so you can lay down some nice pinning fire without dumping your mag too quickly.

Overall I'm very pleased with the performance out of the box which is a good thing since I don't relish performing upgrades on STAR's non standard components.

• Advertisement
Advertisement