Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question re lessons

Options
  • 04-09-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm an adult picking up riding again after being away from it for a few years due to college and such. before I stopped I was pretty competent, I didn't show but I was able for medium-sized courses and a bit of cross-country etc. I had a fairly big confidence knock when it comes to jumping near the end, which was one of the reasons leading to my quitting for a while.

I'm back to it now and loving that, but my problem is in getting lessons to suit. I'd like to get my confidence back fully on the flat before I do much jumping again. However, the lessons that I seem to be put in are either a) a good standard of flat riders, but mainly geared towards jumping; or b) beginner lessons where everyone's learning how to rise to a trot.

I'm beginning to think it might be worth putting it off until I'm back in college and have time for private lessons during the day. any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

ITS only an opinion but after abreak and a knock I think you would benefit from lots of laid back fun riding followed by private tuition, you sound very clued in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Seeing as your going to college would you maybe research if the college has an equestrian club? I know not all do but its well worth joining as you'd find quite a few people in the same boat and then the club would generally set up lessons to suit.

Alternatively maybe approach a riding school and tell them what you just posted here, I'm sure they would be well able to help you, or at least recommend somewhere that might be in a better position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Well i agree with one of the other posters, why not just ease back into relaxed riding?

You could of course try and get a private lesson instead although this would cost more. Have you your own horse? If you are renting from a riding school, ask him you could have the horse for private tuition, in that way you can dictate your own pace etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

See if you can get a lesson on the lunge, these can really help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 haligh

thanks for the replies :)

I don't have my own horse nor the funds to lease one, sadly, so I'm pretty dependent on the whims of riding schools at the minute! I'm curious about what you mean by relaxed riding - do you mean in a lesson stables context? I don't have friends with horses to hack out on or anything...

the equestrian club in college is looking like the best bet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

trekking can be pretty relaxed, most of the time your just walking so gives you plenty of time to get used to the horse. I agree that lessons on the lunge and private lessons are good too since you can concentrate more on your position etc rather than controlling the horse at first.

Advertisement