Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI vs SCART on DVD player

• 04-09-2008 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

Simple one really ... I have a DVD player with both SCART and HDMI out. To me the picture on my 40" Phillips Plasma looks pretty good via SCART, but would HDMI make that much of a difference? Is it worth the money to use a HDMI cable?

Cheers!
    Phil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

It made a great difference on my 40". Don't think of paying €100 for a HDMI cable. Just get a cheap PlayStation one from GameStop and the picture quality will still improve. Don't pay more than about €30 for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

You'll get an equally good HDMI cable for a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

If the DVD player supports upscaling (usually to 1080i) over HDMI then to most people (including me) the picture quality will be better. As others have said buy a cheap HDMI cable and give it a go.

MT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

MediaTank wrote: »
    If the DVD player supports upscaling (usually to 1080i) over HDMI then to most people (including me) the picture quality will be better. As others have said buy a cheap HDMI cable and give it a go.

MT

My first DVD with HDMI didn't even upscale. I think it was only at 576i. Still made quite a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Thanks guys. My DVD player doesn't upscale but i'll give it a try (edit: I just found out that it does. news to me!). Where might one get a HDMI cable for €10?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Argos do one for €7.99. It works as well as any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Thanks Guys,

I picked one up yesterday on GameStop for a tenner and I'm truly surprised with the improvement. I didn't know upscaling would look so damn good, I now wonder whether I should get blu-ray or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If you think the quality when upscaling DVD is good then you will love Blu-ray. Not only does it give you increased clarity and detail but the colour reproduction is amazing. For great demo material look to the CGI animated movies such as Cars, Ratatouille, The Ant Bully etc and also standard movies such as I Am Legend, i-Robot and Batman Begins.

Advertisement