Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Dog Collars

Options
  • 04-09-2008 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have three dogs, sheepdog/collies, and whenever there is someone passing by our house walking/driving, or coming in the driveway they start barking and running towards them.

They do not harm anyone at all but my parents are looking to stop this by electric dog collars or barking collars.

Can anyone give any feedback regarding these and where the best value and best place to buy is, online or in a store.

I'm thinking a remote operated electric dog collar would be better than the barking ones as you can control it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Already covered in great detail here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055236982

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

shortys94 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have three dogs, sheepdog/collies, and whenever there is someone passing by our house walking/driving, or coming in the driveway they start barking and running towards them.

They do not harm anyone at all but my parents are looking to stop this by electric dog collars or barking collars.

Can anyone give any feedback regarding these and where the best value and best place to buy is, online or in a store.

I'm thinking a remote operated electric dog collar would be better than the barking ones as you can control it.

Thanks!

i use a sportdog eletric collar when training my dog and have had great results with it. you dont have to shock the life out of them like people think, you just set it to a small tickle. you can get one that works three collars at once. once they do something you dont want them doing correct them loudly and if they wont listen then press the button which makes it go off. i found it fine and its not cruel once used properly and only used to correct and it all got a fierce amount of my dogs very bad habits out of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stevoman wrote: »
    ... it all got a fierce amount of my dogs very bad habits out of her.

Hmm ..wonder how they got "into" her in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

whenever there is someone passing by our house walking/driving, or coming in the driveway they start barking and running towards them.

Are the dogs running out of the driveway into the road or are there gates to stop them? If there are gates, why is it a problem - the dogs are doing what dogs do & letting you know of a potential threat/intruder on your territory but the barrier of fence/gates prevents them being a threat to passers-by. If there aren't gates then maybe there should be ? :)

Re: Visitors to the house - again dogs are letting you know there is someone there, so you go out, call dogs to you & have them sit/whatever as they have done their "job".

peasant wrote: »
    Hmm ..wonder how they got "into" her in the first place?

what would you know about my dog? she's a gundog and she was running into game instead of setting it. im sticking you on my ignore list because nothing you ever post is of any value to me at all.

• Advertisement

stevoman wrote: »
    what would you know about my dog? she's a gundog and she was running into game instead of setting it. im sticking you on my ignore list because nothing you ever post is of any value to me at all.

First you fail to train your dog properly (i.e so that she learns and understands what it is that you want from her) and then you fail her again by letting an apparatus do the correction for you.

That tells me enough about your dog to feel sorry for it. Because, just like my posts, you just choose to ignore any feedback from her that would actually tell you where you went wrong and instead take the easy (and cruel) option out and let a collar train her instead.

You DO realise that the dog will not make the connection between your command and getting zapped by the collar?
    You also do realise that once the collar is off for a while and the zaps don't come any more that she will just revert to her old habits?

There is a big diffence between teaching a dog to show pain avoidance behaviour (that's what the collar does) and training it so that it actually understands what you want from it.

One involves nothing more than pressing the button (be that the zapper or the ignore button) and the other involves years of dedication, repetition and most of all, an understanding for your dog.

peasant wrote: »
    First you fail to train your dog properly (i.e so that she learns and understands what it is that you want from her) and then you fail her again by letting an apparatus do the correction for you.

That tells me enough about your dog to feel sorry for it. Because, just like my posts, you just choose to ignore any feedback from her that would actually tell you where you went wrong and instead take the easy (and cruel) option out and let a collar train her instead.

You DO realise that the dog will not make the connection between your command and getting zapped by the collar?
    You also do realise that once the collar is off for a while and the zaps don't come any more that she will just revert to her old habits?

There is a big diffence between teaching a dog to show pain avoidance behaviour (that's what the collar does) and training it so that it actually understands what you want from it.

One involves nothing more than pressing the button (be that the zapper or the ignore button) and the other involves years of dedication, repetition and most of all, an understanding for your dog.

listen you know nothing about my dog, secondly you know absolutly nothing about gun dog training so do me a favour and dont bother me because to be honest i havnt got the least amount of time for you.

thanks, good boy. :D

Thanks!

The best way to stop them doing is is to train them not to.

The second best way is to make it impossible for them ...block the access / line of sight.

The remote contol zapper is not an option as it does not teach the dog anything but to avoid pain ...and that's the best case scenario.

Worst case is that they learn to associate the pain with the "intruder" and get agressive instead of just noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

LisaO wrote: »
    Are the dogs running out of the driveway into the road or are there gates to stop them? If there are gates, why is it a problem - the dogs are doing what dogs do & letting you know of a potential threat/intruder on your territory but the barrier of fence/gates prevents them being a threat to passers-by. If there aren't gates then maybe there should be ? :)

Re: Visitors to the house - again dogs are letting you know there is someone there, so you go out, call dogs to you & have them sit/whatever as they have done their "job".

Yes in some ways it is good, but one dog has started to go over the side of the small gate we have and starts barking at walkers. They never harm anyone but sometimes when cars are coming in the driveway the mother of the other two dogs runs in front of the car and nearly looks as if she will be hit by it.

I suppose all in all it isn't such a bad thing but it would be great to have something to stop them doing certain things which aren't too good like going onto the road or running off after a dog on walks.

I suppose all in all it isn't such a bad thing but it would be great to have something to stop them doing certain things which aren't too good like going onto the road or running off after a dog on walks.
    The safest thing in this case is to fence them in in such a way that that can't happen.
    All training in the world (with our without electric collars involved) can not make 100% sure that your dog won't just run out into the road one day and get killed/cause a bad accident if they can physically do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Yea we were using the electric invisible dog fence and it worked pretty well, just got some landscaping done around the house so haven't set it up again yet.

Thanks guys:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Whenever a dog does this . . . say no. . . give him a clip on the nose. . . and put him on the chain for 10 mins.This works far better than the quick fix electric metod as they dont become nervous.
    Also my friend's dog ran away after he got out of the garden because he couldn't get back in again.The electric collar made him fierce nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Please people ignore that last persons post.
    You do NOT clip dogs on the nose, hit them or hurt them in any way to train them. Humane methods must only be used and if in doubt about how to train your pet contact a proffesional educated experience dog behaviourist that uses humane methods.

If a dog can get out of a garden simply put up a bigger or better fence in.

Elec. collars are unreliable better than being hit by a car of course but so many things can go wrong with them and it does not stop other dogs coming into your garden and causing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

electric dog collors are soon to be banned in UK and i believe it will follow suit here too. They are cruel imho. You can get the same result with one that squirts water (barking collor).

Whether the collar zaps or sprays or smells doesn't change anything about the underlying principle ..it's wrong and cruel either way.

Advertisement