Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Problem

Options
  • 04-09-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my car, haven't come across anything like this before. I drive a 00 fiat punto, one day recently, I noticed that when I put my foot on the accelerator, the car takes off very slowly. Press the accelerator more and I can here the engine revving, the car accelerates, but as quickly as normal.

First thought was that it's the clutch, but I changed the clutch 2 years ago, there is no burning smell and the problem is the same whether I'm going up a steep hill or going down one.

Any ideas? I'm always a bit nervous about taking the car to a garage unless I can show the mechanic that I know what I'm on about!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sounds like clutch slip to me. I experienced the same recently and there was no burning smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I've experienced it before too (hense the new clutch 2 years ago), but this seems different, I don't think I can get through a clutch in 2 years of moderate mileage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Stinks of clutch to me! I know it'd be what i would be cursing if it was me. Its revving when you press the accel yeah?

If its chugging along maybe fault air sensor or something aong those lines its a garage job i say if you aint a mech!

EDIT: Depends on your driving style or what driving you've be doing over 2years that the clutch is gone. I thought puntos went through clutches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tdikeith

i know what the problem is

u bought a fiat.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

tdikeith wrote: »
    i know what the problem is

u bought a fiat.

best of luck

Lol, we get alot of this on here, and it gets a bit out dated. Do a search for Renault and Fiat and you'll find all these smart comments. I'm sure it's greatly appreciated though, your onto a good start.

OP a clutch can go in a day. It sounds very clutch like. I would say the only thing you can do is to get a mechanic to have a look, as it will be alot easier to diagnose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd be inclined to agree with others and suspect the clutch.

I'd be inclined to agree with others and suspect the clutch.

And as for the earlier 'Fiat' comment - a clutch is a wear and tear item and will eventually fail on every car that has one fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

There is hardly enough here to make an educated guess but besides the cutch it kinda sounds like the description of a car thats off a cyl. Revs build but no power to match??

Kinda like a quiz. :) Hope the OP comes back when its fixed to tell us the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Kinda like a quiz. :) Hope the OP comes back when its fixed to tell us the outcome.

Lol hopefully, seems to be the case with alot of people who ask questions, no one comes back to tell us who's right haha:p

There is hardly enough here to make an educated guess but besides the cutch it kinda sounds like the description of a car thats off a cyl. Revs build but no power to match??

Yep - I wonder is it a case of pressing the accelerator and the OP can hear the engine under load rather than the RPM increasing.

OP - Look at your rev counter and verify if the engine is actually revving.

• Advertisement

It's definitely revving, I'll get it to the mechanic to check out. On the bright side, I was looking for a new car even before this happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the coil pack is a common failure on them, it could be missing on a cylinder and struggling a little.,

I got the distinctive clutch burning smell shortly after my post. Took it to the mechanic and it was indeed the clutch!

Thanks for your contributions guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

djk1000 wrote: »
    I've experienced it before too (hense the new clutch 2 years ago), but this seems different, I don't think I can get through a clutch in 2 years of moderate mileage!

Easily on a clutch on a Punto, they don't "burn out" so much as they mechanically fall apart, so you won't smell the lining burning. I've also seen something similar recently on the same car and it was the gearbox/diff had fallen apart... You don't need to know what the problem is before you bring it to a garage, that's what they are there for, bring it to a garage that you can trust or that someone else trusts and let them make the proper diagnosis with the right equipment.

You going in thinking that you have all the answers in your head is just going to rub someone up the wrong way...

Advertisement