Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have ACAs, worth doing CIMA?

• 04-09-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi, I am sitting my ACAs this year and will hopefully be fully qualified by November. Are the CIMA exams worth sitting too because I noticed that a fully qualified ACA has 11 exemptions out of the 14 exams.

I noticed you have to do 3 years in industry as well as the exams, does my 3.5 years with my training firm count towards that?

If so, it does seem worthwhile getting a full other professional qualification simply for sitting 3 more exams.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

I don't think completing CIMA would give you any advantage over your current qualification. I am CIMA qualified and have worked extensively with accountants from ACA, ACCA and CIMA - in my experience all give a good basis for working in industry just make sure you are with a company that gives you good experience / oppurtunities

Depending upon what your training experience was you could count some or all of it towards CIMA qualification. You would need a min. of 18 months experience in the areas below (and a further 18 months in basic/advances and core areas

2a Preparation of management accounts
    2b Planning, budgeting and forecasting
    2c Management reporting for decision-making
    2d Product and service costing
    2e Information management
    2f Project appraisal
    2g Project management
    2h Working capital control

Follow the link below for detailed practical experience requirements
    http://www1.cimaglobal.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0AE7C4D1-2BD367E3/live/root.xsl/1316.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I think I read somewhere that said you are not allowed to be a member of another accounting body if you are a member of the ICAI. I could be wrong though but it might be worth checking out. And I don't see it offering any additional benifit, I mean CA is tops right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Locomotion wrote: »

Any opinions?

An MBA would probably look better on a CV if you're looking for more finance study. I can't recall who made the argument now, but I remember someone saying that two accountancy quals. i.e. ACA and CIMA looks bad on a CV - I think they were saying the person didn't understand what their original qual meant or something like that - Okay I'm gibbering now. :p

Put me down for a no. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

smcgiff wrote: »
    An MBA would probably look better on a CV if you're looking for more finance study. I can't recall who made the argument now, but I remember someone saying that two accountancy quals. i.e. ACA and CIMA looks bad on a CV - I think they were saying the person didn't understand what their original qual meant or something like that - Okay I'm gibbering now. :p

Big difference between doing three extra exams and taking a year out and spending tens of thousands to do an MBA.

I am only starting out but I would see my long term career in management accounting (Im doing ACA). I always half expected to do CIMA once I was qualified but its interesting to hear people say it would'nt make that much of a difference.

Is the material pretty similiar between ACA and CIMA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

+1

Do an MBA or tax exams

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    Big difference between doing three extra exams and taking a year out and spending tens of thousands to do an MBA.

You could get an Oxford Brookes MBA (take about 21 months via distance learning) for about €6k before deducting tax credit. You wouldn't give up your job.

Good luck either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

You could get an Oxford Brookes MBA (take about 21 months via distance learning) for about €6k before deducting tax credit. You wouldn't give up your job.

Good luck either way.

How are the distance learning MBA's looked upon within industry? Would they be rated highly.

Also I know you can do the tax exams too. I know these focus on the Irish tax system but how attractive would they be to oversea's employers? Do they have any relevance at all?

Thanks.

Babybing wrote: »
    How are the distance learning MBA's looked upon within industry? Would they be rated highly.

If you get a distance MBA that means you've stayed working while studying and not one of those lazy, fly by nights, that take a year out to get their MBA full time.

To answer your question - unless you're getting your MBA from a top university it doesn't matter at all I imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm ACCA and always fancied completing the CIMA qualification also, never got around to it and my reasons would be to upskill and improve my profile from an academic perspective

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm ACCA and always fancied completing the CIMA qualification also, never got around to it and my reasons would be to upskill and improve my profile from an academic perspective

Then you can go on to do CIPFA :D

From an employer perspective I'd really question the merits of someone doing this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement