Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pugs

Options
  • 04-09-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

My girlfriend hasn't stop talking about 'Pugs' for the past year. So to avoid the 'i want a baby' trap, i want to buy her a puppy for her birthday. She's 27 at the end of the month. We have a lovely home with loads of space, and alot of time for a dog. Does anyone know a good breeder of 'Pugs'? in and around the Dublin area?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Try this number
    Pug-052-35288

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Your girlfriend obvoiusly didn't see "pedigree dogs exposed" on the BBC the other week, otherwise she wouldn't want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea that was a pretty shocking documentary. In light of it, I would urge the OP not to get a pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yeah ... watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqYxvlfxvnk

Pugs are riddled with genetic issues. Go on get a pug if you want to be in the vets every second week. It'll cost you a fortune, not to mention the ethical side of supporting breeders who 'create' dogs with such serious health issues.

There are plenty of gorgeous healthy young dogs and pups in the shelters. Give them a call and they'd be more than willing to find you a pup which will suit your environment.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Pugs are prone to a number of diseases and also usually cost at least €1,000 so hopefully you have abut €2,000 + to spend on the dog and potential diseases/issues the dog may have.

Your girlfriend would be a lot better off if she went and adopted a nice dog from a shelter. a lot cheaper and less stressful in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Baby trap????
    Maybe my OH thought that & now we have four dogs & planning a baby!lol
    Any dog or breed needs research on the part of the prospective owner. A dog should fit your lifestyle, not just look the part, but if you feel a pug is the right fit for your house, then go for it.
    I have 2 pedigrees & 2 rescues & wouldn't swap any of them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Are you serious?

Glowing wrote: »
    Yeah ... watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqYxvlfxvnk

Pugs are riddled with genetic issues. Go on get a pug if you want to be in the vets every second week. It'll cost you a fortune, not to mention the ethical side of supporting breeders who 'create' dogs with such serious health issues.

There are plenty of gorgeous healthy young dogs and pups in the shelters. Give them a call and they'd be more than willing to find you a pup which will suit your environment.
    Good luck!

Have you got a contact number for the shelter? Cant seem to find one on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Elem wrote: »
    Have you got a contact number for the shelter? Cant seem to find one on google.

PetsIreland

Dogs in Distress

Martina @ Dunboyne Dogs

But just something to think about for a moment.

Whilst a new dog in the hosue might put off your partner looking for a baby, will she still be the same next year or the year after?.

I'm just asking because if you look through some of the rescue stories there's a huge amount of dogs sent to the pound when junior arrives, and it breaks my heart.

The world is a cruel place. I showed my gf the utube link, she got to part 3 before she started crying. Think it worked.

Cheers Mairt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I have a pug. It has a number of genetic conditions but luckily we got pet insurance from day 1. The person I bought him from seemed to be legit enough and I haven't seen any other ads from the same phone number selling pugs (or other pets) since. I know that's not enough to guarantee that they are not a dodgy breeder btw. I'm not that naive but still I don't think they were puppy farming or anything.

He's a lovely dog but he has had an operation to open his airways. He has been diagnosed with epilepsy and will be on medication for this for life. He still has mild breathing problems but they don't cause problems. He is allergic to many shampoos. Finding a balance between keeping his 'nosecrack' clean enough to stop infection and not cleaning it so much that it gets irritated or sore is very difficult. He has had regular ear and nose infections. Our vet has told us to ensure he never breeds. I know it sounds like I'm describing a wreck of a dog but for the most part he is healthy and active and very happy. His various complaints do make him high maintenance but don't affect his own quality of life greatly.

So while I wouldn't change him for the world, I would recommend strongly against buying one. If I had seen that documentary before buying, I probably wouldn't have gone through with it.

This picture from The Onion's story about a "pug recall" may be fictional, but it's not without foundation:
    Dog-Breeders.jpg

Advertisement