Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if they don't win?

Options
  • 04-09-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I think we can all agree that both candidates really really want to be president of the USA, for various reasons. *cough* ego *cough* that we won't go into. But what will happen their careers if they don't win?

If McCain doesn't win, there's a really good chance he'll kick the bucket before he has a chance to run again for the job he wants so bad that he's willing to sell out any and all policies and ideology he may once have held.

Obama has spent his entire political career it would seem, building to this moment. If he doesn't win, what can become of him? At the minute he's the dems messiah, but if he loses he'll be brought back to earth hard. The sort of attention he's been getting just cannot be repeated in four years time.

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I think whichever candidate looses, they will retreat back to the Senate. McCain continuing his fight for reform and pissing off the GOP... Obama continuing to run for president (but democrats don't like losers, and he might not get the nod next time).

I predict Romney will be the choice if Obama wins this time around (but Palin sure changes the landscape now). And Hillary if McCain wins.

But what if two women were running against each other for US President. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pantsuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    I predict Romney will be the choice if Obama wins this time around (but Palin sure changes the landscape now).

Palin has done nothing more than recite a pre-prepared speech and look a bit more awake than McCain. There have been better speeches at the convention by people who didn't make the grade when it came to nominations, so why exactly has she 'changed the landscape'?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If Obama loses he may not get another chance and the Dems will fall on each with the usual atavistic cannibalism. If he wins it will depend on the make-up of the Senate and the type of Dems he's likely to find there. I am also unsure if they will reflect on the wounds they need to heal and address.

If McCain loses then he will probably leave behind a GOP that can move on past the nightmare of George Bush and of course they'll have another star in Sarah Palin. I also think his candidacy either way may well offer them a way to refocus the party and hopefully lessen the influence of the right. Whatever misgivings people have about them, America needs them. Perpetual one-party government is no good for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

alastair wrote: »
    Palin has done nothing more than recite a pre-prepared speech and look a bit more awake than McCain. There have been better speeches at the convention by people who didn't make the grade when it came to nominations, so why exactly has she 'changed the landscape'?

I think reading this article can better explain it, and might give better credence, than me.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4677799.ece

Advertisement