Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAO Shadowless (or anyone who has done FM)

• 04-09-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Apparently I've a choice between one of
    MS206 - Complex Analysis
    *MS211 - Introduction to Differential Equations
    *MS252 - Computational Mathematics II

for second year. What would you recommend. I'm leaning heavily towards Computational Maths as Programming was my strong point in first year. Is there one of the 3 which will be more important in the grand scheme of things though?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

you can choose up in second semester - you can even try all 3 - in first sememter you do computational mathematics 1(matlab) - you will spend hours and days do some of the exercises - the way it done is you get a sheet each week with 12 or so problems and you are give 5 random number between 1 and 12 at the start of the year - and these are the problems you have to do - which could mean that no one you know is doin them - which mean you gotta meet new friends - or work them out urself - looooooooooog...

i did MS211 - mainly cause everyone else was.. was alright - handy enough

MS206 - hardly anyone does it - but shadowless did cause he's a genius,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Rocket!

Is Shadowless Padraic??

Is Intro to Differential Equations the one thats farily similar to Linear Algebra no!? Whats the best/worst classes in 2nd year anyways??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

This is all very weird.

Anyway...

Yup I did Complex Analysis mainly because Eugene Riordan was teaching it. I had him for Calculus of Several Variables in Semester 1 of second year and thought he was a really good lecturer. His exams are tough though. As a subject it's interesting enough although not particularly useful for anything else that you'll study during your degree.

Computational Maths or "Matlab" as everyone calls it is a strange one. I thought I might go for this one too as I liked Java in first year however there's something strangely unsatisfying about Matlab programming. Possibly because it's incredibly dull. Who knows.
    Anyway you'll do it in first semester so you'll be able to make your own mind up.

Differential Equations is probably the most useful in terms of keeping your options open. There's a good few DE courses in 4th year you can do. (although if you're going for exemptions your options are going to fairly limited tbh) Most people opt for this one which can be helpful around exam time if you're missing swathes of notes. Apparently it's fairly straightforward too although that's obviously second-hand information.

You've got tonnes of time to make your decision so I wouldn't be too worried about the whole thing. Obviously you have to pick one when you register but you can change it by handing in the form in the registry anytime up until the second week of Semester 2 I think.

Anyways hope this helps somewhat.

(and yes it is Paraic, It's weird to be outed on an internet forum, I feel violated :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Warning about O'Riordan echoed, great lecturer, horrible exams. I got nearly 90% in CA in a module with him this year yet only barely passed the exam. It was just so long. Nice chap though so wouldn't hold it against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Shadowless wrote: »

(and yes it is Paraic, It's weird to be outed on an internet forum, I feel violated :eek:)

You should try when people at various poker tournaments call you by boards name and you have no idea who they are, that is really odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

cooker3 wrote: »
    You should try when people at various poker tournaments call you by boards name and you have no idea who they are, that is really odd

wtf various poker tournaments - when do u play live??????
    anyway - back to topic - u have loads of time to choose....

Advertisement