Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a complete scumbag..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Robbed blind man needed 60 stitches
    Friday, August 29th, 2008

* < prev
    * 1 of 1
    * next >

* [It was alleged that the defendant entered the off-licence in George’s St (above) and slashed the owner on the face.]

The blind owner of a city centre off-licence received 60 stitches to his face after he was attacked by a man who raided his premises, it was stated in Waterford District Court this week.

Before the court on Tuesday was James Halligan (26), with an address at 62 Logloss, Gracedieu, Waterford, who is charged with robbing €550 and six cans of Heineken the property of John Walsh at Walsh’s Off Licence, George’s St, Waterford, on August 15 last.

Objecting to bail, Garda Joe Cawley, Waterford, said he opposed bail because of the seriousness of the charge. Two bench warrants for the arrest of the defendant had been issued on previous occasions and he was on court bail when the alleged incident occurred.

It was alleged that the defendant entered the off-licence in George’s St, Waterford, and slashed the owner on the face. The injured man required 60 stitches in hospital. The injured party was completely blind and the defendant was under the influence of alcohol and cannabis during the attack.

Mr Pat Newell, defence solicitor, said his client co-operated with the Gardai, had strong ties with Waterford and was due to commence a treatment course with Aiseiri.

Refusing jurisdiction in the case, Judge Gerard Haughton said it was clearly a matter that should go to the Circuit Court and he was not prepared to grant bail. The alleged offence was committed when the defendant was on bail and two warrants had to be issued for his arrest previously. The defendant was remanded in custody for two weeks.

I can never understand the menatilty of these people. Just disgraceful and I hope he gets whats coming to him from the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm sure his family is proud of him.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sully wrote: »
    I can never understand the menatilty of these people. Just disgraceful and I hope he gets whats coming to him from the courts.

Unfortunately he probably won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

sure check the family name.. theres a particular family with that second name in the town, if its the same family.. they have all done worse..
    hopefully he will get a good bating and have worse done to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

€550 and six cans of Heineken.

wow. Yea its probably worse he'll get off easy. Poor man! I see him most days when im in town.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

I'm glad bail wasn't granted, it's too often given out too easily and abused

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I see his solicitor pointed out that his client has "strong ties with Waterford"

Has anybody any idea what his point might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

lugha wrote: »
    I see his solicitor pointed out that his client has "strong ties with Waterford"

Not sure what it means but it doesnt sound to good does it?

I mean a guy like that, what kind of positive ties with Waterford can he possibly have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mang wrote: »
    sure check the family name.. theres a particular family with that second name in the town, if its the same family.. they have all done worse..
    hopefully he will get a good bating and have worse done to him

Indeed a family with that second name has been known for violent acts in the past.

60 stitches is a heck of a lot of damage...and to a poor oul blind guy as well, he's obviously a complete and utter scumbag. All this business of a treatment course....so he gets to shift the blame for this gbh on to his "addiction" eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Probably trying to make out that he wouldn't be a flight risk........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Probably trying to make out that he wouldn't be a flight risk........:rolleyes:

Yeah. I guess that's probably it.

I have to say if I was representing him I would be embarassed to even ask for bail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Yeah. I guess that's probably it.

I have to say if I was representing him I would be embarassed to even ask for bail!
    Lawyers have no souls.

Just kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

He will just be sent down to cork prison with the rest of his buddys

These people are not like you and i where we get up for work every morning. As far as i can see there mentality is "THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO IN THIS COUNTRY IS A DAYS WORK"

This story makes me sick but to be honest his name says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

you know, ive probably passed that shop about a million times before and ive never gone in there, i had a peek in once and it looked like a place time had forgot, a real classic. It makes my blood boil when i read or hear stories such as these, complete cowards taking advantage. Next time im back home ill be sure to pop in and buy a bottle or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

the thread title says it all..................

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

for feck sake, the poor lad, I knew of him and have passed the shop a million times but never went in there.

What a complete scumbag, whipping would be to good for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The culplrit has a history of being a complete and utter scumbag. I know of him well. The thing is, prison won't rehabilitate him - it will only punish him. People like that never change. But feck it, he deserves all the punishment he gets. Stuff like this makes me really angry. This was a bad thing to read first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Cannabis doesn't slash people's faces, scumbags do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Scum.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

- Build an island with high impassable walls and nothing inside.
    - Drop him in there (don't land, just f**k him out of the plane) along with other similar scum, and let them kill/eat each other.

No point in paying to keep scum like this alive running the risk they might breed and produce more scum.

Tzetze wrote: »
    Cannabis doesn't slash people's faces, scumbags do.

Correct. And besides, most stoners aren't the type of people who do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

dlofnep wrote: »
    Correct. And besides, most stoners aren't the type of people who do.

Yeah inclined to agree with that - I was wondering where cannabis even came into it in the first place.. couldn't see a first post but I'm great at missing things :p

jim o doom wrote: »
    Yeah inclined to agree with that - I was wondering where cannabis even came into it in the first place.. couldn't see a first post but I'm great at missing things :p

Says in the report that he blamed his actions on cannabis and alcohol. The weakest excuse ever. Alcohol and cannabis don't make you enter a store with intent to rob and beat up an old man. Quite frankly, the fella involved is well known in Waterford for being a pure and utter scumbag.

The real shame is that he'll probably do 2 years at most, and will be out again doing the same old crap once he gets out. People like him will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

jim o doom wrote: »

He probably used it in his defence, hope the w@nker gets crammed into a ****ty prison having to slop out his crap every morning for the next 20 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dlofnep wrote: »
    Says in the report that he blamed his actions on cannabis and alcohol. The weakest excuse ever. Alcohol and cannabis don't make you enter a store with intent to rob and beat up an old man. Quite frankly, the fella involved is well known in Waterford for being a pure and utter scumbag.

The real shame is that he'll probably do 2 years at most, and will be out again doing the same old crap once he gets out. People like him will never change.

His solicitor is very well known and is quite a popular one. I would doubt he would use the excuse if he felt it was weak (not supporting the actions of the chap of course).

I always thought cannabis DOES have a tendency to make you go a bit "odd" and mixing it with alcohol (which we all know if you drink enough of without mixing can make you go "odd") would be a dangerous mix?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dlofnep but he has strong links with waterford so its all ok :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I always thought cannabis DOES have a tendency to make you go a bit "odd" and mixing it with alcohol (which we all know if you drink enough of without mixing can make you go "odd") would be a dangerous mix?

If it was only cannabis the last thing he want to is slash someones face...its hard enough to get off the sofa for another packet of monster munch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Cabaal wrote: »
    for feck sake, the poor lad, I knew of him and have passed the shop a million times but never went in there.

same here, must go in there soon, you never know when these curious old shops will close down. For example Phelans tobacconist was a great little shop, a place a bloke could go into and buy stuff.

Isn't there meant to be a small bar in the back of the off-licence or something?....maybe I'm getting that wrong but I thats what I heard a while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Yeah there is. Only a few people, who this gentleman knows, are allowed in.

As for the alcohol/cannabis thing, I really don't think that combination would really make you do something as serious as that, unless you already had such tendencies anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So what are you saying? - there but for the grace of God go I or anyone else who drinks a few cans and smokes a joint?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

His solicitor is very well known and is quite a popular one. I would doubt he would use the excuse if he felt it was weak (not supporting the actions of the chap of course).

Firstly, solicitors have used the "drugs and alcohol" defence since courts began so I wouldn't put much store in that.
    Secondly I have never seen anyone who has smoked a joint stand up and stab someone else, it's effects are completely opposite in nature but of course it's not possible to believe this piece of human garbage was just a Filthy scumbag without a decent bone in his body. It's much easier to blame "THE DRUGS"

Advertisement