Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jon Stewart on Palin and the media

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

Ha, worth watching alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

ROTFLMAO. :D:D:D

God, I hate Republicans.

George Kimball, himself an American, had an interesting piece in the Irish Times todayon the peer pressure applied to people who go to watch the New York Yankees to "honour America" during the game by standing to attention for a rendition of the mawkishly awful "God Bless America".

From the mountains, to the rivers, to the oceans flecked with foam........there seems to be a fair smattering of dick heads per square foot in America.

Just in case you were confused by the editing of the Bill O'Reilly piece on teenage pregnancies, here is the Pinhead section in full. Don't take my word for it. Read it on the Fox Website.

"On the pinhead front, 16-year-old Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant. The sister of Britney says she is shocked. I bet.

Now most teens are pinheads in some ways. But here the blame falls primarily on the parents of the girl, who obviously have little control over her or even over Britney Spears. Look at the way she behaves.

And by the way, the mother, Lynne Spears, has reportedly already sold pictures of the upcoming baby of her 16-year-old for a million bucks. Incredible pinhead."

Takes one to know one, Billo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

Jon stewart is as funny as a weekend in Kinnegad.More liberal pro-Democratic trash.McCain will be President.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Speer wrote: »
    Jon stewart is as funny as a weekend in Kinnegad.More liberal pro-Democratic trash.McCain will be President.

I thought sweeping statements without evidence to back them up was the stalwart of the democrats no?

McCain is the best canditate.Obama is full of meaningless slogans like change etc.I see Mccain is 13/8 underdog to win the Presidency with paddypower.Get on now! He's a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

McCain is the best canditate.Obama is full of meaningless slogans like change etc.I see Mccain is 13/8 underdog to win the Presidency with paddypower.Get on now! He's a certainty.

All of Obamas policies are laid out on his website. Maybe you should check it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

It was funny until they got to the sexism part, then it just made me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

I'll give you 7/4. How much would you like to bet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭KJ_2008

Ah bless, feeling the pressure Speer? Is Stewart a little too astute for your liking? ;)

Jon stewart is as funny as a weekend in Kinnegad.

Kinnegad? Is that the place Palin used to be mayor of?

Actually that's not fair. Kinnegad's population is only about 3,000. Whereas she was mayor of a city of about 9,000 people.

Now that's up there with Mullingar. A quantum leap if ever there was one. :D

What sort of hick is going to vote for a woman who wears lipstick to ice hockey matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Was just about to post this clip. It's such a great 5 minutes but in fairness, those people featured are masters of spin and they are effectively just doing their job. It's not as if the points they make are invalid and "retreat behind her apron strings" is such a great line anyway.

On a side note, I always find it hilarious that America's best political commentator was the newsreader in Jay and Silent Bob strike back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Evidently you didn't watch any of the Daily Show coverage of the DNC.

bogman44 wrote: »
    I'll give you 7/4. How much would you like to bet?
    I'd love to take you up on that offer but I always stick to the bookies because they always pay up when you win.Loads of people are telling pollsters they'll vote Obama but when it comes to voting day in the privacy of the voting booth they'll vote McCain.Same with Prime minister Thatcher in Great Britain,she always had low poll numbers but won the elections.McCain is a cert.The democrats would have won with Hillary Clinton.They blew it choosing Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

.McCain is a cert.

McCain's certainly not a certainty but he's certainly better than a 7/4 shot for the White House. Odds are shaped by how much money is put on a certain candidate and gamblers are not politicians or even keen followers. They have been caught up in the hype and even though I think Obama will probable shade it, there's no denying that 7/4 is too much

Loads of people are telling pollsters they'll vote Obama but when it comes to voting day in the privacy of the voting booth they'll vote McCain.Same with Prime minister Thatcher in Great Britain,she always had low poll numbers but won the elections.McCain is a cert.T

I think you're right. I hate the republicans like I would a boil on my nether regions. They are truly scum. All this flag-waving, God Bless America ****e. (Why do they get an Irishman to sing it at their baseball matches?)

But at the end of the day, it's only 40 years since the last American states got rid of their "Nuremberg Laws" which forbade marriage between blacks and whites. That was in 1967, in Obama's lifetime. In fact, it was inside the Mayor of Megalopolis' lifetime as well.

There's just too many cousin-marrying rednecks who ain't gonna be able to vote for no ******.

I think Obama will be president, but not this time. Maybe in 8 or 12 years, after the "heartland" has had a bit more time to get used to the idea.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Mad Finn wrote: »
    But at the end of the day, it's only 40 years since the last American states got rid of their "Nuremberg Laws" which forbade marriage between blacks and whites.
    I see why they call you Mad Finn:p

You mean the anti-miscegenation laws

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Mad Finn wrote: »
    I think you're right. I hate the republicans like I would a boil on my nether regions.

I am actually the reverse (I am sure that will make Joes and Sands head pop). I know many Republicans IRL (heck half my family in USA :)) that are decent people.

Take MM for example. I don't agree with a lot of the Republican party standings but the arguments are rational and while I may not agree with what MM says he has his beliefs and I have mine.

Where I am drawing the line though is posting BS or sound bites to put forward that McCain is somehow the second coming. I would do the same for Obama, but I haven't seen anything of the sort yet.

I honestly think that McCain could get caught on live TV giving oral to goats and people in the Republican party would defend him solely on the fact he is a Republican.

That is the wrong way to be. You pick who you think is best for the country. It is kind of sad that USA has a two party system as it drops people from Dem/Rep side that would have the vision, credentials and ability to ensure every American is not only looked after but that others outside of the USA are inspired by their actions.

Lastly McCain/Bush administration I do not see as representative of Republicans. Certainly not the ones I know. They are more rich-neocon-religious conservatives, and defending them just because they have a Republican sticker is a disservice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hobbes wrote: »
    I honestly think that McCain could get caught on live TV giving oral to goats and people in the Republican party would defend him solely on the fact he is a Republican.

And most people on boards.ie would support Obama over any republican even if he killed a few kids.
    I agree on the point though, that blindly following someone because of their party is ridiculous and quite a sad state of affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I'd love to take you up on that offer but I always stick to the bookies because they always pay up when you win.Loads of people are telling pollsters they'll vote Obama but when it comes to voting day in the privacy of the voting booth they'll vote McCain.Same with Prime minister Thatcher in Great Britain,she always had low poll numbers but won the elections.McCain is a cert.The democrats would have won with Hillary Clinton.They blew it choosing Obama.

+1

the democrats went weak at the knees and voted for obama , they dont have the cold hearted fianna fail like cynicism of the republicans that is needed to win , hillary is even more ruthless than mc cain and would have romped home

i worry for the future of the democrats , this was there election to loose , mc cain will not be near as unpopular as bush and im not sure hillary can win in 2012 or 2016 , could be looking at a gop goverment indefinatly , there the fianna fail of american politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I still don't understand what happened with Hillary. She was clearly the best candidate, but for some reasons Dems turned on her. I have no faith in either political party at this point tbh. Vote green!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I am actually the reverse (I am sure that will make Joes and Sands head pop). I know many Republicans IRL (heck half my family in USA :)) that are decent people.

Actually Hobbes, I'll let you in on a little secret. My wife and I have signed up to help the McCain campaign. I've used this site so far to hone up on some "persuasion" skills that I will be using to help turn my "Blue" state of Pennsylvania to "Red." This site is overwhelmingly liberal and/or democratic thinking, and it has been great fun seeing some of the thinking processes and arguments that have, and will lay ahead of me. Your help in this matter has been tremendous, and if I can turn some democrats and independents towards voting republican, it will in part be because of you. I can tell you it has worked so far, at least to the point where people are now more open-minded to the republican ticket. So thank you... how's that for head popping!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

overwhelmingly liberal and/or

See thats where you have it all wrong. If you ask most irish people are they liberal or conservative they will go.. wha?

Like fianna fail are the most popular party in ireland. But are they liberal? right wing? neither really!

I have some liberal views but i also have some very conservative views. Treating voters like they are either baby killing left wing loons or right wing jesus christ nuts is what is wrong with poilitics in the US. There should be more parties in the US but each party have both the centre and the extremes to look after thats then when it gets messy!

I dont think anywhere else in the world apart from the US would be labeled a liberal be a bad thing aswell. 5.7 billion people cant be wrong! ;)

Pennsylvania will be a blue state no matter what. If you want to be more productive then go to ohio! The jobless numbers wont help the GOP this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I stand corrected, I guess I should have stated "by U.S. political standards as it pertains to this election." All 5 of my aunts and uncles, in addition to my mother, were born and raised in Ireland, so I know what you are saying. And on this site I have been purposely "red-meat." I am often referred to as a RINO here. I really am so much more level-headed and soft in my one-on-one discussions with democrats and independents (my wife is another story though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

It is kind of sad that USA has a two party system as it drops people from Dem/Rep side that would have the vision, credentials and ability to ensure every American is not only looked after but that others outside of the USA are inspired by their actions.

Very well said and very true. Did you mean something like this?
    Instead of rejecting good ideas because we didn’t think of them first, let’s use the best ideas from both sides. Instead of fighting over who gets the credit, let’s try sharing it. This amazing country can do anything we put our minds to. I will ask Democrats and Independents to serve with me. And my administration will set a new standard for transparency and accountability.

We’re going to finally start getting things done for the people who are counting on us, and I won’t care who gets the credit.

Cited from John McCain speech RNC 4 Sept. 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

To be fair mocking the American right wing isn't hard, they make it so easy; its like the barrel is overflowing with fish to shoot.

What bothers me is not that its so easy to show them as having few if any principles and lying constantly, its the saddos that vote for them that are the real shame; they seem to genuinely fall for their garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

BenjAii wrote: »
    To be fair mocking the American right wing isn't hard, they make it so easy; its like the barrel is overflowing with fish to shoot.

What bothers me is not that its so easy to show them as having few if any principles and lying constantly, its the saddos that vote for them that are the real shame; they seem to genuinely fall for their garbage.

For the record, just to avoid a landslide of Chinese whispers, 'what bothers me' is that I am still racking my brains wondering if you are including my last post in this statement. I sincerely hope not. I wasn't 'mocking the American right wing'. I was however slightly teasing Hobbes, whose views, as it would appear (occasionally at least), aren't totally different from McCain's. The subtlety is gone now :mad:!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hobbes = John McCain?

That would be a Lostesque MindF*ck!

Advertisement