Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from Finglas to Dublin Airport

Options
  • 04-09-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Will someone please tell me that there is a bus service from Finglas to Dublin airport that I just haven't discovered yet?!?

I am so sick of having to get a 16a to santry lane, then wait around and pray a 17a might show up to take me home.
    There has got to be a better way!!!!

Help :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »
    Will someone please tell me that there is a bus service from Finglas to Dublin airport that I just haven't discovered yet?!?

I am so sick of having to get a 16a to santry lane, then wait around and pray a 17a might show up to take me home.
    There has got to be a better way!!!!

Help :(

You mean santry Avenue dont you?
    Anyway,what i would do is get the 16a or whatever airport bus(there are several) to Whitworth Road.There you have a chance of connecting with the 40,40a,40b,40c and 40d.In other words much more scope although it may take a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Degsy wrote: »
    You mean santry Avenue dont you?

Yeah, but 17A picks up at Santry lane.

Getting to Santry ain't the problem. As you said, I can get a whole lot of different buses to Santry. Its getting to Finglas that's the problem.

It would probably take just as long, and maybe even a bit a longer, to travel toward the city centre only to come back out again.

Its so frustrating because by car, the airport is about 15minutes away from Finglas, but by public transport + waiting time, your easily talking 1hour or more.

Yeah, but 17A picks up at Santry lane.

Getting to Santry ain't the problem. As you said, I can get a whole lot of different buses to Santry. Its getting to Finglas that's the problem.

It would probably take just as long, and maybe even a bit a longer, to travel toward the city centre only to come back out again.

Its so frustrating because by car, the airport is about 15minutes away from Finglas, but by public transport + waiting time, your easily talking 1hour or more.

The 17a is a disgrace.I used to work on santry avenue and would be waiting at the bus stop in mellowes road for an hour or more sometimes.
    Often three 17As would arrive together after not seeing one for ages.The 104 also goes to finglas from santry avenue but its a very rare occurence indeed,something like every hour.
    Can you get a vehicle?It might be better in the long run.

The 17a is a disgrace.I used to work on santry avenue and would be waiting at the bus stop in mellowes road for an hour or more sometimes.
    Often three 17As would arrive together after not seeing one for ages.The 104 also goes to finglas from santry avenue but its a very rare occurence indeed,something like every hour.
    Can you get a vehicle?It might be better in the long run.

Mmm, I actually forgot all about the 104. Might take a look at the time table, see if I can work something out.

I have a scooter, which I can get away with parking in the short term car park, and its grand when its not raining, but unfortunately, that's not too often these days.

I don't have a car, but I might have to look into getting one, because trying to get to and from work by bus is just becoming a nightmare.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There should be a self help group for people that have to use the 17a. "My name is Humberklog and I rely on the 17a"- "We hear you-let it out".
    Even when I read it 1st in Degsy's post it sent a shudder through me. I was unfortunate to have to rely on it to get from Killester to Finglas Village and back for a few weeks a while back. I'd rather iron my scrotum than have to rely on or take regularly again.
    I went looking for a route finder and was surprised that there isn't one on line. When I say 'surprised' I probably mean 'wasn't surprised''.
    I just commiserating with you.
    Leave your job? Move your house? Egg the busses?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    There should be a self help group for people that have to use the 17a. "My name is Humberklog and I rely on the 17a"- "We hear you-let it out".
    Even when I read it 1st in Degsy's post it sent a shudder through me. I was unfortunate to have to rely on it to get from Killester to Finglas Village and back for a few weeks a while back. I'd rather iron my scrotum than have to rely on or take regularly again.
    I went looking for a route finder and was surprised that there isn't one on line. When I say 'surprised' I probably mean 'wasn't surprised''.
    I just commiserating with you.
    Leave your job? Move your house? Egg the busses?

Ah I love my job (kinda sad but true), egging buses is a possibility, but it won't get me anywhere any faster.... I actually can't wait to move house, but it won't be for at least another 6 months, so I guess I'll have to put up with the ****ty service till then :mad:

Ah I love my job (kinda sad but true), egging buses is a possibility, but it won't get me anywhere any faster.... I actually can't wait to move house, but it won't be for at least another 6 months, so I guess I'll have to put up with the ****ty service till then :mad:

Egging may not speed the service up but can't you just feel the satisfaction?
    Use the scooter...summer's over so the weather should get better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bicycle?

spurious wrote: »
    Bicycle?

Seriously are you mental?
    Finglas to the airport is probably the most lethal thing somebody could try on a bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Finglas to the airport is probably the most lethal thing somebody could try on a bike.
    Think of the thrill of it though!

Perhaps better rain gear for the scooter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

the 17a should be blown up. Disgrace!!

Often in my youth I'd leave my gf's in Santry to catch the last bus home. Be standing on Santry lane 20-half past eleven and very often (I really mean that) no bus would come!!

I hate you!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dont talk to me about the 17a, have to get it out to coolock occassional to the OH - why are people not complaining about it all the time?

I have Dublin Bus on speed dial to complain about the 40c and it has finally started turning up in the morning on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe try to get a 220 from Finglas to Ballymun and walk down Santry ave to catch the 16A?! :)
    220 seems to be more reliable than it was years ago!

gurramok wrote: »
    Maybe try to get a 220 from Finglas to Ballymun and walk down Santry ave to catch the 16A?! :)
    220 seems to be more reliable than it was years ago!

The220 only comes every hour or so too.Get a rattletrap of a car and save yourself the misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its a grand spin, but the N2 can be a drag.

Once your on Ballymun Glasnevin avenue its onto Collins Ave and cycle lanes.

Its one of my regular training routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Used to use that dreaded 17A / 16 combo to get to Sportslink and I gave up after a while. I was doing 3 workouts instead of the one I wanted.

Mairt wrote: »

Its one of my regular training routes.

Thought this was you!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KnuqWY79z0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Cycle in good rain gear along paths all the way to airport. There is paths all way from finglas to airport via santry stadium and old airport road. Or get good rain gear for scooter. Or get one of those fold up bikes and cycle from finglas to meet bus at santry/whitehall. Or get normal bike and cycle to and lock bike at somewhere like Santry Gardai station or Omni park and get on bus from Santry. Maybe advertise for a car pool, im sure theres plenty people working in Airport from Santry who would share cost of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    Its a grand spin, but the N2 can be a drag.

Once your on Ballymun Glasnevin avenue its onto Collins Ave and cycle lanes
    I suppose it depends on where in Finglas but I would have thought that the route via St Margaret's Road, Meakstown, Dubber, Balseskin and then over the R108 to Collinstown Cross would be the best way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I suppose it depends on where in Finglas but I would have thought that the route via St Margaret's Road, Meakstown, Dubber, Balseskin and then over the R108 to Collinstown Cross would be the best way?

Now you're just showing off :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I used to get this bus for 2 years. There used to be a mystery hour when id be getting the bus at northside shopping centre between 2pm -4pm. The buses would just vanish. Never had a problem getting out in the moring from finglas. Got on at the terminus but coming home was a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I have a scooter, which I can get away with parking in the short term car park, and its grand when its not raining, but unfortunately, that's not too often these days.

You have a scooter but you choose to rely on Dublin Bus instead? :confused:
    You can need some mega locks and chains for parking a bike at the airport, thief central for bikes anyway.

Raingear? You should be wearing protective motorbike gear anyway but if that's not your thing then call into that place on Capel St that sells construction gear, hi-vis and chefs uniforms. They sell you wet gear, cost no more than €20.

You're paying tax and insurance on your bike and fuel is not exactly expensive for a scooter. You may as well use it. It's not much fun on a 50cc on those roads near the airport but drive assertivly as if you go near the gutter, you'll get less respect and be pushed into the ditch.
    I've often taken a 50cc as far as ALSAA, you'll be grand and watch for impatient motorists. If the limits is 60 and you're just capable of doing 60, then **** em if they want squeeze past you

Advertisement