Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My House Was Robbed

Options
  • 04-09-2008 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Came home from work last night and couldn't get in the front door, looked through the window to see an ironing board wedged between the banisters and the front door. They went straight for the money, all electrical stuff was left. There were play stations, Wii's, laptops etc in plain view and they were all left behind.
    The woman who lives down stairs saw the guys climbing up on to our balcony but she thought it was one of us and we had been locked out.

I just hope the gardai find them before we do. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Scumbags.

When you say they went straight for the money, is it possible they knew where to look, like, was it a substantial amount they took? Or was it lying around. They say these type of scumbags are oppurtunists, they wouldn't look as suspicious walking/running down the street with laptops/wii's etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Was quite a large amount of money that was kept in my mates safe ( which was hidden ), i didn't even know he had one! Who ever did this has been in our house before, they knew the lay out.
    I never keep money in the house so i'm 'lucky' in that way but i'm gutted for my mates :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Really sorry to hear about that. What part of town are you in?

We live on Bridge Street, the more i think about it the more it makes me mad as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Don't think of that too much then. It happened and now leave it to Gardai.. I'm really sorry hearing your story. Hope those people will be catched and putted in jail for what they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Really sorry to hear about this.
    Hope the gardaí catch the scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Where on Bridge St? I live there too...

Where on Bridge St? I live there too...

Live in the The Waterfront. I keep trying to see the positive in this e.g. we weren't there when it happened, nobody got hurt and our computers and stuff weren't touched.
    We're all thinkin of moving out now, don't think that we can be comfortable living there anymore.

Fuking scumbags :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I honestly think they won't back, hairyfairy.. if that's the reason of your confusion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

If you are renting, why not speak to the owner & ask him/her to fit some extra security measures to the place. How did they get in from the balcony?
    Sounds like it was someone who had been in your place before & obviously knew your mate had large amounts of cash around, so moving might not actually solve the problem. Do you/the owner have an insurance policy that may cover the loss?

• Advertisement

Live in the The Waterfront. I keep trying to see the positive in this e.g. we weren't there when it happened, nobody got hurt and our computers and stuff weren't touched.
    We're all thinkin of moving out now, don't think that we can be comfortable living there anymore.

Fuking scumbags :mad: :mad: :mad:

I live there too. Feck. Just as a cross-pollination with the bad neighbours thread, did you see the guys hurling bottles at our apartments from Kirwan's Court on Monday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Was quite a large amount of money that was kept in my mates safe ( which was hidden ), i didn't even know he had one! Who ever did this has been in our house before, they knew the lay out.

So basically, this was not a random robbery at all, but your mate was targeted by one of his mates(!) who knew he and money and where he kept it. That's even more depressing in someways.

Though he should have a good idea who knew he money there and the neighbor might be able to provide some vague description, so this might be a fairly finite pool of suspects for police to persue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

terrible thing to happen ..but im curious to know is ur mate in to something dodgy like drugs cos from reading a large amount of cash in his hidden safe and having "mates" who are willing to scale up balconies to rob only the cash and leave items listed.....jus sounds like he played with fire and got burnt

o and a hidden open safe pretty useless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Safe's in houses should only be used to store valuables... a bank is better with money. Why wasn't the "safe" bolted to anything... don't those things come with screw points? Was the safe open or did they just take the whole thing... or did they crack the safe?
    It does sound like they knew the place, a hidden safe and it was the only thing that was taken... your mate must have shown the location to someone.

Its more upsetting that someone was in your house sometimes than whats taken. I would definitely talk to your land lord before moving out and get him to install a monitored alarm system or you will leave... Its a renters market??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Talk to the lads in the carpark; their security cameras are pretty good quality, and may have picked up people in the laneway (IIRC, the guy who owns the carpark owns the laneway, so it may be covered by his cameras).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If your mate didn't even tell you about the safe, just how many people is he likely to have told? Must be a pretty short list.

Also, entering over the balcony is fairly risky unless they were sure everyone was out, who would have known you were all out of the place?

Must be someone your housemate knows fairly well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

..but im curious to know is ur mate in to something dodgy like drugs cos from reading a large amount of cash in his hidden safe

........or he's involved in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

At the Waterfront? Shouldn't be too difficult for the cops to find CCTV footage, if they are arsed.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

Andrea B. wrote: »
    ........or he's involved in politics.

or maybe he was given the cash to destroy the menace that is local trees but people close to T.R.E.E. (Terrorists Removing Ecological Enemies) found out and alerted T.R.E.E and his plans to buy poison for the trees have now been set back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Ease up lads, the money was legit, I heard this yesterday too, from a mutual friend of the victim.
    Get that balcony door lock changed, stat. Yeah Tony, it's basically two doors down from you. A bit ****ed. But as was said, it's an inside job,. 100%. And it's a very small pool of people that had knowledge of the safe, knowledge of when ye were all out working, and access prior to that to gain access. Whatever way you paint it, it's someone you or he trusted.

• Advertisement

Feck. We're all a little bit more wary now, obviously. I've asked here and noone saw anything unusual that day here.

Right, i better answer some of ye back.

1. Money was all from poker and nothing illegal.

2. No one knew about the safe, they trashed his room looking for money and they found the safe.

3. Have checked CCTV form Mc Isaacs and The Living Room but to no avail.

4. They fukers were cheeky enough to go climb onto our balcony from a womans garden who lives downstairs, they actually put her garden chairs to good use.

5. It had to have been someone who had visited our house within the last week because the key to our sliding door is missing, so there was no forced entry, they literaly walked in and got a good few grand for it.

Cheers for the info on Jury's CCTV, we'll have to go around to them.
    Because of the amount of cash taken detectives are looking into it, i just hope we can get someone for this but i highly doubt it :(

Thanks to all who took the time to reply, my mates and i are all going to pull together and help my mate out of this massive financial hole.

axiom32 wrote: »
    terrible thing to happen ..but im curious to know is ur mate in to something dodgy like drugs cos from reading a large amount of cash in his hidden safe and having "mates" who are willing to scale up balconies to rob only the cash and leave items listed.....jus sounds like he played with fire and got burnt

o and a hidden open safe pretty useless

They cracked open the safe using tools, it wasn't left open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Sorry to hear that-its sucks balls

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

something fishy about this story.:confused:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    something fishy about this story.:confused:

How so? Our house was robbed and a large amount of money was stolen whats fishy about that?
    Robberies generally don't make sense, we have no insurance if you think it's some sort of scam.
    My friend is absolutely devastated, i've known him for a long time and i have never seen him so low.
    I just hope you never have to go through this yourself and then have someone like you suggesting that the story is somehow 'fishy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

How so? Our house was robbed and a large amount of money was stolen whats fishy about that?
    Robberies generally don't make sense, we have no insurance if you think it's some sort of scam.
    My friend is absolutely devastated, i've known him for a long time and i have never seen him so low.
    I just hope you never have to go through this yourself and then have someone like you suggesting that the story is somehow 'fishy'.

I don't think rarnes1, was implying ye are up to a scam.
    I think rarnes1 was implying, as are most folk here, is that the thief/thieves definitely know your mate and knew the money was there. That's what's fishy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I don't think rarnes1, was implying ye are up to a scam.
    I think rarnes1 was implying, as are most folk here, is that the thief/thieves definitely know your mate and knew the money was there. That's what's fishy :)

+1.

Exactly

Fair enough, i can totally understand where ye are coming from. It just pisses me off that someone could do this to a so called mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It just pisses me off that someone could do this to a so called mate.

wouldn't be the first, and certainly wont be the last. it's amazing what some people will go to when stuck for a bit of cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement