Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Emissions

Options
  • 04-09-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Went trough the NCT today and failed a few things . Nothing major apart from the emissions .

The CO2 at high idle was 0.91 ( it should not be above 0.3) . The rest of the emissions were ok .

I done the usual things before test , like drove it at high revs and put sone stp in petrol to lower the emissions.

What do you reckon thats causing the high emissions . Looking for a place to start ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Maybe running too rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Car, model, year, engine, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

1996 Mitsi FTO 2.0 cc . I thought it mite have been the cat , but my mechanic says if it goes over 0.8 it usually is not the cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Sounds like a sensor problem. Get the car to someone who can diagnose it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It could also be a faulty catholic converter, has the car ever been towed or pushed started?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

i failed on the same thing. brought it the a garage today to get it looked at.

haven't picked it up. well be getting it in the afternoon. i'm hoping it was a small thing

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It could also be a faulty catholic converter, has the car ever been towed or pushed started?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter
    Yeah, you might need to get your RIP* valve replaced. A huge job, tbh.

*Reverend Ian Paisley :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A faulty Lambda sensor has exactly that effect. Places like Advance Pitstop have the means of checking that quickly and easily. A new one is quite expensive -- around €150 from memory, but usually easy to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

ART6 wrote: »
    A faulty Lambda sensor has exactly that effect. Places like Advance Pitstop have the means of checking that quickly and easily. A new one is quite expensive -- around €150 from memory, but usually easy to fit.

+1 My moneys also on the Lambda sensor

The lamba part of the test was within range (so thats why I dismissed this initially) - so do ye reckon the lamba could throw out the CO2 reading as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Barr wrote: »
    The lamba part of the test was within range (so thats why I dismissed this initially) - so do ye reckon the lamba could throw out the CO2 reading as well

Yes, it can.

thats good news in a way as its alot cheaper than forking out for a new cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mark_1981

My 00 passat had the same problem although the emmissions on the high was something like 3.5 ....the car leaked oil though....one mechanic said its the lamda sensor..another said its the cat......it was neither.....the engine was gone(rings were worn out)......so had to get a full engine rebuild done...cost around 1100 euros......passed NCT after that and has been driving fine since then.......

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

If a lambda sensor is faulty it will cause the car to run either rich or lean. If the car is running either rich or lean then how could it pass the lambda part of the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

well i reset the test today and failed again. on the same thing. get the sensor changed. the guy that tested the car said it could be the cat.

Advertisement