Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Black hole' machine could destroy planet: lawsuit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Look, if you domanage to corner a Physicist inperson and ask them about this ( I did a few days ago with one of my Customers who is a lecturer at QUT) they will admit that they havent really gota clue what this thing will do, they have made best guesses as to what it will do and most of them think that the probability of it destroyin the planet are minimal, however most of them also think that whenit fires up we will learn some mind blowin things about the nature of the Universe, maybe they have a vested interest in it, but at the same time dont we all.

MAYBE they have a vested interest in it? Millions in research grants, careers, news coverage, the chance to play with a big two like the little kids they are? That's just for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

I for one couldnt care less if they fire it up. chances are that if it does create a significant black hole, the thing will just eat us up before we even realise it.

big whoop, it's not the end of the world like!.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I for one couldnt care less if they fire it up. chances are that if it does create a significant black hole, the thing will just eat us up before we even realise it.

big whoop, it's not the end of the world like!.....:rolleyes:

Haha! I see what you did there........ ¬_¬

Now, me being a keen viewer of SciFi movies. I've been thinking will we all be transported to an alternate dimension where we may all become evil and rip each other to pieces before gouging out our own eyeballs and speaking latin. (Yes: Event Horizon!)

For one thing, I have my trusty crowbar ready to fend off evil head-sucking aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

All this talk of throbbing machinery, and a giant cavernous black hole that could take the entire planet through it has me a little aroused.

And thinking of Yore Ma..

/Runs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

That's what worries Walter Wagner, the American who is suing to temporarily stop the project. He says the creation of these black holes here on Earth, no matter how small, may unleash a chain reaction that could destroy the planet.

At least now we know Run_to_da_Hills' real name...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Updated Sat. Apr. 5 2008 7:04 AM ET

/checks current date

*yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

so thats where leitrem went to

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

*Morons in hindering scientific progress shocker!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

I for one welcome our new black hole overlords....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

4Xcut wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new black hole overlords....

Was starting to worry that the joke was being forgotten!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats like typing google into google

Mike

I just looked up dictionary in the dictionary (well, dictionary.com)
    1. a book containing a selection of the words of a language, usually arranged alphabetically, giving information about their meanings, pronunciations, etymologies, inflected forms, etc., expressed in either the same or another language; lexicon; glossary: a dictionary of English; a Japanese-English dictionary.
    2. a book giving information on particular subjects or on a particular class of words, names, or facts, usually arranged alphabetically: a biographical dictionary; a dictionary of mathematics.
    3. Computers.
    a. a list of codes, terms, keys, etc., and their meanings, used by a computer program or system.
    b. a list of words used by a word-processing program as the standard against which to check the spelling of text entered.

Well, that answered that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Was starting to worry that the joke was being forgotten!

Possibly into the black hole.

I reckon this thread gets merged with the "Zombie Survival" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm just imagining the epic amount of facepalming going on by the scientists running the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

chin_grin wrote: »
    For one thing, I have my trusty crowbar ready to fend off evil head-sucking aliens.

I prefer my big plank with a rusty nail in it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

we could throw mary harney into the black hole her fat arse should seal it up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

@above,

Might not be the best idea as afaik black holes get stringer as more matter gets sucked into them....unless you want to speed up the inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Must buy a torch... just in case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

jayteecork wrote: »
    Top Scientists thought that detonating a nuclear bomb could ignite the atmosphere and completely destory the planet.

They did it anyway.
    Thats Bull. Its another one of those stories that gets exaturated all the time. ONE scientist thought it was a possibility. The rest of the scientists thought about it and realised it was impossible, then they did the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Didn't they already start the LHC weeks ago?

• Advertisement

They're sending the first beam around on Wednesday. There won't be any collisions just yet, they're just testing the alignments of the magnets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Max_Damage wrote: »
    'Black hole' machine could destroy planet: lawsuit

shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean its a magic doomsday device. Stop going on about the LHC its no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I just looked up dictionary in the dictionary (well, dictionary.com)

Well, that answered that.

OMG :eek::eek: Thats my favourite question to confuse people. Why they put dictionary in a dictionary. Like if you didn't know what it was how would you know to look it up in a dictionary?

Sorry for off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

"And that's what worries Walter Wagner, the American who is suing to temporarily stop the project."

Bastard doesn't mind if the project continues once he's passed away I bet... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Something like this should have been put to a vote and if even one person had a problem with it the whole project should have been scrapped.

Because every person around is qualified to make judgements on cutting-edge physics now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

cooperguy wrote: »
    Thats Bull. Its another one of those stories that gets exaturated all the time. ONE scientist thought it was a possibility. The rest of the scientists thought about it and realised it was impossible, then they did the test.

It's not totally bull. It doesn't refer to all nuclear detonations but specifically to the Soviet Tsar Bomba* test, where there was initial fears that it might ignite the atmosphere until further study/calculations showed this fear to be unfounded. But they did scale the test down from athe planned 100MT explosion to an estimated yield of 50MT.

*The most powerful bomb ever detonated. It reportedly caused minor damage (broken windows and such) in Finland up to 400km away, and the shock wave was detectable on it's third pass around the earth. Something like that would cause unimaginable destruction if detonated over a major city, so it's no wonder there were some fears surrounding the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Because every person around is qualified to make judgements on cutting-edge physics now? :rolleyes:

Just like everyone is qualified to make judgements on complex economic policies?

I've said it before and I'll say it again people; Democracy doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

iv a feeling its gonna be a repeat of the Y2K thing again. all the apocalyptic predictions only to be nothing in the end.

There there. Chin up. I'm sure the apocalypse will be along soon enough. Try not to get too upset if this LHC is another let down.

Don't let it bring you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

javaboy wrote: »
    There there. Chin up. I'm sure the acopalypse will be along soon enough. Try not to get too upset if this LHC is another let down.

Don't let it bring you down.

the mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012 so i wont have long to wait for the next "apocalypse".:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

This truly frightens the sh*t out of me. This is not risk free - it's an experiment ffs. What's at risk? Only the end of the world.
    What's the point of it anyway? Finding out how the world began? Really what's the benifit of knowing that? Is this really worth any risk?

Advertisement