Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Black hole' machine could destroy planet: lawsuit

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

It was actually turned on back in July. That article was dated April 08, jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

its in the testing phase and will be for another few months until the experiment actually begins, it will possibly by after christmas before the real full power collisions happen.
    Until then can the mods ban all lhc/end of the world threads our at least merge them into one big pile of ****talk that it has become.

this is not the first time lawsuits have been taken against these kind of experiments by the same guy, he took a lawsuit against the RHIC back in 1999.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Heavy_Ion_Collider

On another note all this publicity has done the world of physics alot of good, it will hopefully get more ppl interested in studying it in school or in college, thus getting more funding for bigger more fun experiments, which is probably what the lhc actually does!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im so going back to college to study physics. I might make my own hardon and destroy all the wimmins world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Forget about the black hole and all that sh!te, I'm more concerned with who's going to pay the ESB bill :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Crea wrote: »
    This truly frightens the sh*t out of me. This is not risk free - it's an experiment ffs. What's at risk? Only the end of the world.
    What's the point of it anyway? Finding out how the world began? Really what's the benifit of knowing that? Is this really worth any risk?

You are a gazillion times more likely to die putting your socks on tomorrow morning. Does that frighten the sh!t out of you? Is it really worth the risk getting out of bed tomorrow?:rolleyes:

It frightens the sh!t out of me that you have a vote. Please tell me which way you are voting in future so I can vote the opposite to cancel your vote out.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Crea wrote: »
    This truly frightens the sh*t out of me. This is not risk free - it's an experiment ffs. What's at risk? Only the end of the world.
    What's the point of it anyway? Finding out how the world began? Really what's the benifit of knowing that? Is this really worth any risk?

Risk to what?

And yes this type of research does matter. Without fundamental physics research done in the past you would have little or none of the technology that we all now take for granted. And even if there isn't a practical application don't you think it's remarkable that we've come so far as to actually be tackling such questions as how the universe began?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

I would kill to be the person who pushes the button for this thing to go live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jackbutler

I wonder what itll feel like if we get sucked in by a black hole.

maybe it won't be as rough as rape but certainly as horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jackbutler wrote: »
    I wonder what itll feel like if we get sucked in by a black hole..

im gonna head to geneva to be one of the first in. Don't want no sloppy seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

cooperguy wrote: »
    Thats Bull. Its another one of those stories that gets exaturated all the time. ONE scientist thought it was a possibility. The rest of the scientists thought about it and realised it was impossible, then they did the test.

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2008/06/la-602-vs-rhic.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Strictly speaking, any microscopic singularities it manages to produce would be whiteholes rather than blackholes since they would radiate more than they absorb. All their mass would be radiated away in a microsecond and they would disappear in a flash.

OMFG! an actual scientist! wow! brilliant!...er? whats a whitehole?(no smut pls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ah, not more of this LHC shíte. Can't wait until they start the thing and destroy the earth so I don't have to read any more stories about it.
    Yes, that chip they plant in your head when you first register for boards that forces you to read everything everyone posts is a cnut alright.

On another note

AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

So now we get treated to the undiginifed spectacle of some jowly moran, a copy of his fryer-grease stained constitution clutched in one chubby pink fist, eyes brimming with evangelical christian patriotic duty, old glory pinioning his britches around his ample waist, attempting to force the legal machinery of the European Union to explain particle physics to him.

Well done on that society there lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Max_Damage wrote: »

So he's suing various American agencies to stop a project in Switzerland. How does that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

matrim wrote: »
    So he's suing various American agencies to stop a project in Switzerland. How does that work?
    Hes almost certainly suing in the EU, hence the involvement of the SPAniard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Since this is an internationally funded project involving numerous universities, companies,agencies etc... he could conceivably start to sue in most western nations...

Just for all the pessimists out there, I worked on the LHC at Cern during the summer.
    Cosmic rays, which have been hitting earth for as long as we know, have far more energy than anything that the LHC can create. If the LHC can create mini-black holes, than these cosmic rays have been creating mini-black holes on earth for millions of years. And since we're still here, any mini-black holes that the LHC creates will not destroy the Earth etc.
    If I'm wrong, you can all beat me up after we're sucked into an oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Since this is an internationally funded project involving numerous universities, companies,agencies etc... he could conceivably start to sue in most western nations...

Damn straight. And to think Ireland was criticised for not getting officially involved! Forward thinking ftw!

Advertisement