Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dieting at college

Options
  • 04-09-2008 10:33pm

I return to college soon and live a 30second walk from the gym so am finally going to try and lose some of this excess weight...thing is, due to college fees this year and a general lack of funds...Question is, what are the cheap healthy foods out there?

Aldi seemed to be a good choice but a lot of its food seems to have hydrogenated vegetable oils?

Also, any healthy alternative to Pot Noodle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Avoid Pot Noodle.

The ideal foods for dieting are fresh whole foods like fish, eggs, meat, chicken, lots and lots of green vegetables, fresh fruit, nuts and seeds, and some whole grains like porridge oats. Milk, cottage cheese, hard cheese are useful too for calcium, protein and good fats.

You'll find hydrogenated veg fats in processed foods. Like Pot Noodle, cakes, biscuits, crisp, ready meals etc.

You can definitely buy lots of good stuff in Aldi and Lidl. Just shop round the outside and the meat and fish section. Avoid all the box cereals, biscuits, crisps, ready meals etc.

A very handy snack from Lidl is the single portions of smoked fish. Add some salad and you've got an excellent lunch on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I've been trying to spend less money on food and I'm eating:
    eggs (scrambled or in french toast)
    more nuts (chopped hazelnuts, almonds etc - if you buy nuts in the baking section of tescos, they're cheaper than the healthfood section).
    I eat either porridge, oatiflakes or toast for breakfast.
    Fruit like apples for snacks
    Natural yoghurt with blueberries (half price in tescos at the mo) and toasted flaked almonds is fab and very filling.
    Lidl and Aldi are great for cheese and meats.

Advertisement