Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Drivers Licence in Oz?

Options
  • 04-09-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Visiting Oz soon and am renting a camper for the west coast tour for 5 weeks. Do I need to apply for an international licence here in Ireland before I go or can I just have my full irish licence?

Have heard conflicting info on the matter.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

From the Australian Embassy in Ireland:
    Can I drive in Australia on an Irish driver's licence?

Tourists:

The common policy of the relevant licensing authorities of the Australian States and Territories is that, where a person is a visitor to Australia, the visitor is permitted to drive in a State or Territory if the visitor holds a current licence to drive a motor vehicle which is issued in English. If the licence is not issued in English, the visitor will also need to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) at all times while driving. A visitor will then be permitted to drive a vehicle of the type or class to which the licence is applicable.

Migrants:

If you are migrating to Australia and intend to drive, you should inquire about obtaining an Australian driver's licence from the road traffic authority in the capital city of the State or Territory in which you intend to reside. You should do so, regardless of whether you hold a valid Irish driver's licence. Your queries should be addressed to the appropriate driving licensing authorities. Each State and Territory has its own regulations regarding application and issue of drivers' licences. Procedures for obtaining a driver's licence may include an examination in traffic laws, a practical driving test, an eyesight and hearing test and payment of a licence fee.

International driving permit (IDP) issued in Ireland:

If you hold an Irish driving licence, an International Driving Permit may be obtained from your local AA office. The permit is usually valid for one year or the length of validity of your licence, whichever is less.

For what it's worth, I believe the confusion arises because as a migrant, you can drive in Australia on a British licence fairly indefinitely because it's a commonwealth country. In fact, as soon as you trade your UK/Irish licence in for an Australian one because you're living here, they take the UK/Irish licence off you, which I don't like. I'm not swapping mine until February next year when my visa becomes permanent.

(The other thing is that they can't put demerit points on a British licence. By that, I don't mean "woohoo speed all you want", but for instance around here our traffic police are very, very strict. I've seen someone get stung doing 48kmph in a 40km zone, because they didn't realise they were driving in school hours, and they got a $230 fine and three demerit points.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

In fact, as soon as you trade your UK/Irish licence in for an Australian one because you're living here, they take the UK/Irish licence off you, which I don't like.

I'm not sure they do. My mate got his Aus license (in VIC) and they didn't take his Irish one. Sounds strange that they would take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

they take the UK/Irish licence off you, which I don't like.

Not true (in NSW anyway)

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/to-do-first/apply-drivers.htm

&
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html

You present them your licence but they give it back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Visiting Oz soon and am renting a camper for the west coast tour for 5 weeks. Do I need to apply for an international licence here in Ireland before I go or can I just have my full irish licence?

Have heard conflicting info on the matter.

Cheers

But to answer your question - no you do not need to apply
    (in NSW) QLD rules here

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/visitorstonsw/overseaslicence.html
    Licence requirements

As a temporary overseas visitor, if you hold a current driver licence from another country, you are allowed to drive in NSW on your overseas licence as long as:

*You remain a temporary overseas visitor
    *Your overseas licence remains current
    *You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere and
    *You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Cheers for that guys,

One less thing to worry about.

Its pissin down here by the way Ex-Pats,can't wait to be over to your side of the world in November!

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

I got an IDP a few weeks ago. It only costs a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm not sure they do. My mate got his Aus license (in VIC) and they didn't take his Irish one. Sounds strange that they would take it.

They've done it to both of the people I'm living with. They either 'damage' the UK/Irish licence, like hole punch it or whatever, or don't give it back (one UK and one Irish licence in that). Perhaps it's different for visitors on a one year visa? The guys here are all permanently in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

The Aussies let me Keep my Irish licence when I got a WA one in Perth, but the Irish took my Wa Licence when I transfered back to an Irish one at christmas.

Maybe Victoria is different

Advertisement