Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Server VS Core Server

• 04-09-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭

Quote:
    Definitions:
    Core Ruleset – This is the same server based Ruleset that we’ve been playing with in Beta all along.

Roleplay Ruleset – This is the same server based Ruleset as the Core Ruleset. We will be adding CS enforced rules for names and encouraging RP communication between players for this Ruleset.

Open RvR Ruleset – This is the same server based Ruleset as the Core Ruleset except for three (3) changes:
    1) Your RvR Flag will be on permanently. There will be no way to turn it off.
    2) The Bolster buff (which normally gives you Battle Ranks in RvR and Scenarios) will not be functional except for Scenarios.
    3) The Chapter 1 (not Tier 1) area will turn any Character of any Rank from the opposing Realm into a Chicken.

Again, for the Open RvR Ruleset ALL OTHER RULES will be the exact same. If a Tier 3 character goes down to Tier 2 and they will turn into a chicken, etc.
    The Core Ruleset, for those of you in beta, simply says that you can only PvP when you enter an RvR area (this is where the keeps, battlefield objectives are). When in a PvE area, you can only attack another player if they're RvR flagged. You can turn this flag on, I believe.

You'll probably remember, we all generally agreed we should play on an Open rule server.

Well here's where you hit a pretty ****ing major snag:

Quote:
    Chicken only kicks in when you are RvR flagged. On a Core server, you can go back to your faction's lower tier PvE areas without being chickened. On an Open server where you are permanently flagged, going back to a lower tier PvE area would chickenize you.
    That's from a dev. So, if we played on an Open server, you could never go back to another Tier once you'd outlevelled it. So once you hit level 13, you can never go back to T1, and so on. Nor can you go help guildies or friends in lower tiers. Basically once you hit 40 on an Open Server, you can't leave Tier 4 without being chickened.

original post taken from here
    http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62702

What do you think guys, personally I'd like to be able to return to lower levels to help out and re-explore (core), but is there a need, should we just stick with Open RvR where its a REAL free-for-all with no flags to turn off.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think I'm convinced. Core sounds the better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Core. All the rvr zones have the keeps etc. Thats the only place you will want to rvr anyway at level 40 besides scenarios. And alot of tome unlocks are in the first couple chapters and I would like to get as many as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Core for sure, Open is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Their open system the way it's described here doesn't appeal to me, definitely core. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

That does make core sound better...you can still pvp in rvr zones and also if you have your pvp flag on.

On the server vote thread everyone voted pvp though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

whatduck wrote: »
    Core for sure, Open is silly.
    + 1.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Actually, screw this Warhammer lark, lads. I've found something much better. Who's with me?

LFG: Playground of slight doom, need fluffy rabbit, DPS and Dungaree spec 'd Crayon Master"

Run away!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

3) The Chapter 1 (not Tier 1) area will turn any Character of any Rank from the opposing Realm into a Chicken.

So any opposing rank 40 can turn up in the enemy chapter 1 where all the rank 1's are? I sense a slight imbalance here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

Maximilian wrote: »
    Actually, screw this Warhammer lark, lads. I've found something much better. Who's with me?

LFG: Playground of slight doom, need fluffy rabbit, DPS and Dungaree spec 'd Crayon Master"

Run away!
    lmfao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Maximilian wrote: »

Run away!

Hoi thats an eve online joke, get out of it! :pac:

R0ot wrote: »
    Hoi thats an eve online joke, get out of it! :pac:

It is? Eve players migrating to hellokitty online? must be for the pvp.

Advertisement