Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to become an independent candidate?

Options
  • 04-09-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

After a few beers with my mates at our local we came up with the idea of one of us running as an independent candidate for Dublin City Council at the next general election.

Few days later we looked into it as a bit of a laugh but couldn’t find any information as to how to do it, the registration and process involved.

I even called up Dub City Council office on Civic Quay but they couldn’t (or didn’t want to) help me. It’s kind of gone beyond a joke now but I’m curious now, surely there is information as to how to do it.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

fliptzer wrote: »
    I even called up Dub City Council office on Civic Quay but they couldn’t (or didn’t want to) help me.

Well, that's not very democratic.

Have a look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

With respect Fliptzer if you cannot find out for yourself how to get your name on the ballot paper you are unlikely to be an effective councillor. Some initiative, energy and basic cop-on required.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Come up with a platform and get yourself into gear. You don't even need that many votes. Around 1,000 votes or so could get you in (Easier said than done of course). A lot of councillors don't reach the quota. Here are the results for the last time.
    It's probably a good time given the disenchantment with any form of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You will also need a cheap supply of brown envelopes, to assist you in formulating policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I often thought about doing this-just running to take the piss :D
    Not old enough for it yet however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement