Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Drogheda Will Go Out of Business"

• 04-09-2008 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Read this:
    http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/soccer/future-of-drogs-in-serious-doubt-1469604.html

The National Roads Authority (NRA) is blocking Drogheda United's new stadium.

I just don't get it. We have a government saying that they need to raise €5 billion and then their own agencies block the planning on construction related project.

Im sick of these objectors. NRA must have nothing to do, when they are objecting to progress.

It looks like Drogheda United's future is in serious doubt now.

All I can say is that Meath County Council and the Irish Government must have loads of cash to be able to afford to turn these sort of projects. There is no credit crunch in Meath anyway. What kind of politicans are in this country anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gareth37 wrote: »

I just don't get it. We have a government saying that they need to raise €5 billion and then their own agencies block the planning on construction related project.

I dont know anything about Drogheda's plans or the reasons for the nra's objections but the govenrment needing to raise cash is not a reason to rubber stamp any and every project that comes up. If they have valid reasons to object the the state of the economy doesnt change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Jaysus it would be terrible if the club went out of business. Presumably they'd come back in a different format. Drogheda City or something? Where would they play though? What is the story with United Park exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Stekelly wrote: »
    I dont know anything about Drogheda's plans or the reasons for the nra's objections but the govenrment needing to raise cash is not a reason to rubber stamp any and every project that comes up. If they have valid reasons to object the the state of the economy doesnt change that.

the nra's complain was that there would be too much traffic on the motorway

thats right, too much traffic, travelling NORTH to the stadium, when 95% of the drogs fans would be travelling SOUTH to it

sheer idiocy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Helix wrote: »

thats right, too much traffic, travelling NORTH to the stadium, when 95% of the drogs fans would be travelling SOUTH to it

sheer idiocy
    Drogheda plan to rent it out for concerts and stuff like that- that's where the problem lies. That's very important for them as without that extra revenue they wouldn't be able to survive financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wasn't the only planned entrance from a motorway though, and that it was not easily accessible by foot? if that is the case it is a logical objection, if not, who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Helix wrote: »

sheer idiocy
    It's not just the stadium they are objecting too or in fact the stadium at all on it's own. They are objecting to the development in total which 25,925 hectares which includes the stadium, a large retail element and 5,000 houses. This undoubtedly will have a massive effect to the M1 so close to it. It a pointer to everything that happened with Quarryvale and Liffey Valley, bad corrupt planning.

It's got much more complicated now with the land being zoned 'open space and light industrial use' and not residential as previously advised to the guy who purchased it for that reason. The LAP is now at the public consultation stage and without it's zoning being changed the stadium, the retail and the housing won't get the go ahead regardless of the NRAs argument or not. Even if it is rezoned the stadium won't go ahead with the retail or residential element.

The rumour of Drogs actually going into Examinership seems to be getting bigger. Story I have heard (and it is a bit out there) is they were on the verge of signing some English striker, but the Drogheda chairman told him not to sign it, as we may not be able to pay your wages in two weeks time".

Any Drogs wish to comment and confirm the above or dismiss as complete twaddle, as I suspect it may be.

Drogheda plan to rent it out for concerts and stuff like that- that's where the problem lies. That's very important for them as without that extra revenue they wouldn't be able to survive financially.

but theyre not buying the stadium, it was being provided free for their use as a draw for the owner of the land afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

gimmick wrote: »
    The rumour of Drogs actually going into Examinership seems to be getting bigger. Story I have heard (and it is a bit out there) is they were on the verge of signing some English striker, but the Drogheda chairman told him not to sign it, as we may not be able to pay your wages in two weeks time".

Any Drogs wish to comment and confirm the above or dismiss as complete twaddle, as I suspect it may be.

Drogheda have been weeks away from going bust for as long as I remember. Never seems to happen though.

See also Sligo.

And they wonder why local business don't want to get involved.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Wrong. Very wrong.

• Advertisement

Drogheda have been weeks away from going bust for as long as I remember. Never seems to happen though.

its happened more than once that i can remember

I have heard their is a bit of light at the end of this tunnel for Drogs, that some investor looks interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Too much doom and gloom lately with Irish soccer clubs, fingers crossed this can be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

gimmick wrote: »
    I have heard their is a bit of light at the end of this tunnel for Drogs, that some investor looks interested?

Thats great news if true.

There is plenty of opportunity for Irish clubs to qualify for Europe's champions League and UEFA Cup Group Stages.

If an Irish club was to qualify for the CL group stages you could easily get 50,000 per match at the new Landsdowne Road. The whole country would get behind them - albeit glory hunters and fickle fans that currently support British teams such as Celtic, Manchester, Liverpool, Blunderland etc.

The opportunity for a big football club in Ireland is massive - even Scotland have 2 huge teams.

Investors must realise that it won't happen overnight and must be patient and have the finance to back a team for 5-7 years without that breakthrough in Europe. It took Rosenborg 10 years to qualify for the CL. The potential in Ireland/Dublin is 10 times greater than the potential of Rosenborg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

They still need the new stadium to go ahead in order to keep the full time set up? no?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Wrong. Very wrong.
    Maybe you could enlighten me as to what you actually mean.

Drogs overspent to get success thinking that they would have a stadium to move into at the beginning of the 2008 season. The revenue generated from this stadium would clear their debts.

Maybe you could enlighten me as to what you actually mean.

Drogs overspent to get success thinking that they would have a stadium to move into at the beginning of the 2008 season. The revenue generated from this stadium would clear their debts.

his point was its not their stadium to rent out as such

its being given to them for their use for free. zero cost for it and they keep the gates, concerts etc wont be going to drogheda united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gareth37 wrote: »
    albeit glory hunters and fickle fans that currently support British teams such as Celtic, Manchester, Liverpool, Blunderland etc..

Lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good one blunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They still need the new stadium to go ahead in order to keep the full time set up? no?:confused:

The stadium is in breach of FAI regualtions and they're being allow to play there as the plans for a new stadium was on the cards afaik. If they don't do their promise they won't get a Premier license.

• Advertisement
Advertisement