Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to England after UCD

Options
  • 05-09-2008 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've been offered a place in Law in UCD in the 3rd round of offers, in the future I'd like to go and work in England im wondering what experiences of working abroad with a UCD Law degree people have had. Would a trinity degree be recognised better over there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I've been offered a place in Law in UCD in the 3rd round of offers, in the future I'd like to go and work in England im wondering what experiences of working abroad with a UCD Law degree people have had. Would a trinity degree be recognised better over there?
    Surely you'd still have to do some training over there, different laws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beechtree18

Yes, regardless of whether I did BESS in Trinity or Law in UCD Id still have to do a 1 year diploma in english law but would having a degree in Irish law look good aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Trinity is no better recognised to be honest. In fact, (and I did B&L) I know of several people from UCD who went over to the UK and got jobs with the big UK law firms. Apparently they're pretty positively predisposed to Irish people.

(Also, Trinity shite!)

Just like in Ireland there are issues about qualification by doing professional exams etc. Here, solicitors attend Blackhall Place and it takes about 2 years and a set of entrance exams. Over in the UK it takes a year and no entrance exams and is called the Law Practitioners Course. Barristers do the Bar Vocational Course.

There are some required subjects if you are going to the UK (Admin Law if I remember correctly) but the Law School are very helpful about providing you with all the information if you want to go to the UK.

Edit:
    Well if you want to do law, then do an undergraduate in Law. BESS is business etc and not only will it be harder to convince a potential employer that you really want to be a lawyer (but not impossible!) but if you do BESS you won't know if you enjoy law or are good at it.

Do the course you actually want a career in. UK law is very similar to Irish law.

So in short, stay in UCD and you'll be fine, whether you want to stay here or go to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

In order to work as a solicitor in the UK I think you need to take English Land Law. This subject is offered by the Law School in UCD and you can do it in third year.

As for Trinity v UCD, both Law Schools are well rated in the UK. One wouldn't be put before the other. However it goes without saying that you'd want to be getting an upper 2:1 or a first degree in order for employers in the UK to give you an interview

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

63250.JPG

Hah!

Anyway, there's no problem attending UCD and then going to England. In fact, I know people who have stooped as low as to attend a University outside the pale (Shock! Horror!) and still find themselves in some manner of success in England! Imagine that!? Yeah. So.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manilla

Hey Beech - First of all congrats on the offer - couldn't be doing law at a better place - I'm a little biased but still... To be totally honest Trinity does still have a bit more prestige attached to it in the UK, the same way a lot of people here rate it a little more than UCD - that's not to say that that's totally deserved but it's definitely a common perception.

That said, the fact you go to UCD should put you at absolutely no disadvantage whatsoever when it comes to looking for legal jobs/training contracts in the UK. There is no need to do the GDL (conversion course for the UK) if you do Admin law and English land law in UCD (both of which are offered) as well as the usual core subjects as expected for here. The best piece of advice I can give you is to start looking early at the firms in the UK - ideally you'll apply for vacation schemes in London during your second year in college - very few Irish students have really considered the UK at this point and so even fewer get these schemes - the larger UK firms recruit most of their lawyers from these schemes and if you manage get a place on one then you're 80% of the way to getting a job with them - plus you can have an offer right from the start of your final year so that takes a weight off! And as has already been said you really gotta keep the grades up, keeping a good 2:1 or first is essential - without it most UK firms (and Irish too) won't even consider applications. Also any extra curriculars or work experience you can get are a major plus - you need more than just grades and awareness of current events to talk about in interview!

Advertisement