Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wudu and the feet

• 05-09-2008 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭

Salam Alaikum,

Quick question. I was watching Islamic Q&A on Islam Channel a couple of months back and one of the questions was that if you do wudu in the morning, when you do it later in the day do you need to wash your feet again if you have kept your socks on the whole day. The answer given was that you don't need to remove your socks, you just brush over them. Recently however a few brothers from the mosque told me they disagree with this and that you should wash your feet each time you do wudu.

Interested in your opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have always washed my feet, but I would go with what you feel most comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

Washing feet for Fajr in the early hours of the morning....

if that doesn't get you into heaven, I don't know what will!!! :p Fair play!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

There's a helpful explanation on the Islamonline.net website here, which states when it is permissible to wipe over your socks rather than taking them off and washing your feet. Apparently, originally the permission to wipe over your socks applied to leather socks, but as time passed, some scholars extended this by considering how socks made of other materials were similar to leather socks, so that the underlying principle of the concession could be applied to other types of sock.

Some types of sock are not acceptable, particularly if they are loosely woven and allow water (and dirt) to pass through to the foot. I was interested to see on the Internet that it is possible to buy various types of "wudu sock", though some of these seem to be designed to allow you to wipe over them while others are designed to allow easy access to the skin of the foot without having to take the socks off.

Advertisement