Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I get?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

a large or small diaphragm condenser mic
    will be for recording acoustic guitar and vocals on a computer interface
    they are going to be budget options
    any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

For vocals and acoustic guitar you are better off getting a large diaphragm condenser.

What is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

woop wrote: »
    a large or small diaphragm condenser mic
    will be for recording acoustic guitar and vocals on a computer interface
    they are going to be budget options
    any help appreciated

Defo Large ....... Likewise whats the budget? ...... There are many good low budget large diaphragm condenser mic's out there from good company's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Small!

studiorat wrote: »
    Small!

for vocals????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Why not? Small diaphragms are generally quieter than large, and have a better transient response.

I reckon large diaphragm mic's are only popular 'cause people think they look like Neumann U-87's and associate that with quality regardless...

The reason people use large diaphragm is because they have a natural lift around 6kHz because their resonant frequency is within the hearing spectrum. While this is useful for articulation in vocals it isn't necessary and IMO can add to sibilance problems with cheaper mic pre amps.

Small mics are easier to point and easier to store too!

Any suggestion that large dia. mics have better bass response is not true.

I like the little Octava kits with the 3 different capsules.

Of course you could go for a modular kit with both large and small diaphgrams http://www.mbho.de/t2.htm

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    Why not? Small diaphragms are generally quieter than large, and have a better transient response.

I reckon large diaphragm mic's are only popular 'cause people think they look like Neumann U-87's and associate that with quality regardless...

The reason people use large diaphragm is because they have a natural lift around 6kHz because their resonant frequency is within the hearing spectrum. While this is useful for articulation in vocals it isn't necessary and IMO can add to sibilance problems with cheaper mic pre amps.

Small mics are easier to point and easier to store too!

Any suggestion that large dia. mics have better bass response is not true.

I like the little Octava kits with the 3 different capsules.

Of course you could go for a modular kit with both large and small diaphgrams http://www.mbho.de/t2.htm

Good point hadn't really looked at it like that ........ Octava pattern kit would also be handy for various other application i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

brettzy wrote: »
    For vocals and acoustic guitar you are better off getting a large diaphragm condenser.

What is your budget?

cheapest on thomann:o

at the moment cant afford anything more and dont want to spend lots on it either as I might not end up using it all that often

thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Medium ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Medium ....

Hey, this isn't the macdonals drive-thru

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Supersize Diaphragm ....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

PaulBrewer wrote: »