Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parvovirus,

Options
  • 05-09-2008 12:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

hey, i dont com on this forum much,
    Just wondering if anyone would have any pointers as to how to look after a dog with this?

Shes s putbull maybe 2-3 months old and she was brought to the DSPCA today and they said shes suffering from parvo. she's really quiet and lifeless since yesterday and was bleeding. The guy who looked at her earlier said that she'd be lucky to live through the night but gave us some orange/pinkish tablets to grind up and feed her.,
    Im trying to arange for her to bre brought to a vet tomorrow if shes still ok but just wondering if theres anything i might be abl to do in the meantime.., she belongs to my 5yo and hes really attached to her so i dont want anything to happen to her.,

any advice greatly appriciated., :)

EDIT:apoligies if this isnt the place,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

right well she needs fluids and drugs asap, I see you posted this at 20 past midnight, so she could very well be dead, right now, but if you see this, take her to the vet straight away, also do not allow her come in contact with any other dogs.

oh and one other thing, 5 year olds and pitbulls don't mix, in fact by owning that dog you are breaking the law, unless you were unwittingly sold a staffie..... I dunno, I wish you the best of luck in keeping your dog alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Please state where it is illegal to have pitbulls apart from if you in a DCC housing?

They are not all bad. No dog should be left alone with kids irrespective of what breed they are.

Back on topic, hope your dog has survived the night get him down to the vets asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

skink wrote: »
    right well she needs fluids and drugs asap, I see you posted this at 20 past midnight, so she could very well be dead, right now, but if you see this, take her to the vet straight away, also do not allow her come in contact with any other dogs.

oh and one other thing, 5 year olds and pitbulls don't mix, in fact by owning that dog you are breaking the law, unless you were unwittingly sold a staffie..... I dunno, I wish you the best of luck in keeping your dog alive!
    except the bit about the parvo the rest of your post was total gick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Hope every thing is well I had a pup die of this 20yrs ago one minute there fine next there gone but for the pups sake this is a hard thing to treat and get over and if she survives it there will be lasting damage and you may need to be cruel to be kind. Parvo eats away at the insides so the poor thing may never be right after words.

You need to think with your head on this one and not your heart.

Hope every thing works out ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

if she survives it there will be lasting damage

Not strictly true. My JRT was approx 4 mths old when I picked him up off the streets in appalling condition. Within 48 hrs was clear he had Parvo. He spent next 5 days in vets on drip & was touch & go but thankfully he pulled through. Vet honestly didn't give him a chance as he was like a little skeleton, no muscle, etc. Happy to say that was 12 years ago & he is still going strong with not a bother on him and no health issues since then.

BUT Op - he was a very lucky little dog & the odds were stacked against him. Your pup needs to be with a vet & you will have to be guided by your vet's advice. Hoping she pulls through for you & your little 'un - horrible way to lose a puplly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For crying out loud we DO NOT HAVE A BANNED BREED in Ireland.

:mad:

LisaO wrote: »
    Not strictly true. My JRT was approx 4 mths old when I picked him up off the streets in appalling condition. Within 48 hrs was clear he had Parvo. He spent next 5 days in vets on drip & was touch & go but thankfully he pulled through. Vet honestly didn't give him a chance as he was like a little skeleton, no muscle, etc. Happy to say that was 12 years ago & he is still going strong with not a bother on him and no health issues since then.

BUT Op - he was a very lucky little dog & the odds were stacked against him. Your pup needs to be with a vet & you will have to be guided by your vet's advice. Hoping she pulls through for you & your little 'un - horrible way to lose a puplly.

I'm glad to hear he has had a good life and that they live on fine with out probloms, I've only ever heard of the bad side, but it's nice to know the good side too, from what I understand the bad side is bowl op's and digestion probloms along with a host of health probloms that other dogs get over no problom.

Nice to know there is light at the end of the tunnel if they can be saved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

thanks everyone for the advice, she's still ok at the moment and she'll be going to the vet asap, i got some drugs for her last night and she took that this morning. Also, she's drinking more now than she was,.,

As for comment regarding pitbulls and children, I wouldn't leave a child unsupervised with ANY dog at all, pitbulls arnt the only dangerous dogs. in fact, my neighbours jack Russell poses more of a risk to children, and ive had pitbulls since i was as young as he is now.

thanks for the tips people. much appriciated, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Parvo is such a serious disease and your dog will need a lot of medical care to get through this, but it is possible to get through it.

As to the OP answer about breaking the law, why do people post such things when they obv havent a clue.

On another forum a member who owns a staffie has been approached by the GARDAI saying that her dog, which he thought is a pitbull, is banned, like for Gods sake, you are supposed to know the law but you obv havent a bloody clue.
    THERE ARE NO DOGS BANNED IN IRELAND!!!!

Glad to hear she is holding her own, hope all continues well for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

vtec wrote: »
    hey, i dont com on this forum much,
    Just wondering if anyone would have any pointers as to how to look after a dog with this?

Shes s putbull maybe 2-3 months old and she was brought to the DSPCA today and they said shes suffering from parvo. she's really quiet and lifeless since yesterday and was bleeding. The guy who looked at her earlier said that she'd be lucky to live through the night but gave us some orange/pinkish tablets to grind up and feed her.,
    Im trying to arange for her to bre brought to a vet tomorrow if shes still ok but just wondering if theres anything i might be abl to do in the meantime.., she belongs to my 5yo and hes really attached to her so i dont want anything to happen to her.,

any advice greatly appriciated., :)

EDIT:apoligies if this isnt the place,
    The tablets you were given was synulox, you need something else. She needs to be in the vets where she can get fluids and proper medicine. Im supprised she was allowed out with a contagious disease like this. sorry for the spelling but im very cross at the poor care shes been given. Dont wait till tomorrow, if she has pavo bring her in now.

Glad to hear she's holdig up.

Hope the vets will be able to cure him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Agree with lostinnnappies, can't believe they let a dog that they said had parvo out. She should be in the vets hooked up to a drip and you should have been given alot more information about Parvo than you have been.

Was she not vaccinated?

what is the up date on your dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I agree with toulouse she should be on a drip and plenty of fluids.I dont hold out much hope for her

Toulouse wrote: »
    Agree with lostinnnappies, can't believe they let a dog that they said had parvo out. She should be in the vets hooked up to a drip and you should have been given alot more information about Parvo than you have been.

Was she not vaccinated?

No she wasnt vaccinated in the time i had her, we took her at short notice from people who really should be allowed to have a dog but we didnt get her injections right away, i really should have but it was hard to get the time for it.
    golden wrote: »
    what is the up date on your dog?

Unfortunately when she went to the vet earlier today, he thought it would be kinder on her to put her out of her misery since she was in so much pain and bleeding quite a lot. :(
    The doctor earlier, said exactly what some of yourselves have said regarding keeping her overnight, he wasnt very impressed with the fact that she was allowed home with us and told "if shes alive tomorrow bring her to the vet"., To be honest im really pissed off with them at the moment since i had to rely on google and boards for most of what ive learned about parvovirus.,

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support, its much appriciated., Im just sorry im not reporting back with the good news i was hopeing for., :(

Sorry to hear your news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 donna1000

oh my god so sorry to hear the very sad news

So sorry to hear that :( Serves as a salutory reminder of how vulnerable young animals are & how they rely on humans to make the right calls for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I am really sorry to hear that. Really you need to write a letter of complant into the original vets. Send it to the practice manager because they would often take matters more seriously. That vet who sent your dog home should have their socks pulled up to their ear lobes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Or the VCI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That poor dog :(

The vet should be reported for their neglect Vtec.

thanks for the input ladies and gents., im am concidering a complaint, it was my own naiveity as far as the diesese is concerned that allowed me to accept the doctors instructions but having heard what the second vet said and the posts here, im dissapointed with how he handled the situation. Im going to look into it when im not so pi**ed off and can think without being angry about it.,

thanks again., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Most ignorant post ever and after giving some sensible advice! :o

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Sorry to hear the bad news but I do ageee he shouldn't have been let out at all, do complain so many people don't because they feel they didn't understand what went wrong or they might sound stupid because they don't know how to explain all the medical mumbo jumbo, this is how my old vet round the corner is still litterly getting away with murder and over pricing they don't care and the vet medical council wont listen until everyone complains problom is everyone that wants to would just radder put the bad experience behind them and get a new vet.

I'm sorry for your loss remember you were doing the right thing in the first taking him in if the varvo hit that quickly it's unlikely the vac's would have worked any way and the little one would have died alone, he had you to care for him in the end and thats all that matters.

Advertisement