Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth to become the new hot spot?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=96203
    Perth population tipped to double in 50 years

5th September 2008, 6:45 WST

Perth’s population will more than double within the next 50 years, reaching the current size of Sydney, according to official forecasts.

Projections from the Australian Bureau of Statistics estimate Perth could have almost 2.5 million residents by 2026, with the population approaching 4.2 million by 2056. Perth now has 1.5 million residents.

The number of West Australians living outside Perth could rise to 800,000 by 2026 and 1.2 million 30 years later.

It is a dramatic increase on the bureau’s projections made three years ago, a reflection of the State’s strong growth because of the resources boom.

The bureau calculates three estimates on population, based on low, medium and high fertility, net migration and life expectancy rates.

WA is currently the fastest growing State or Territory.

There would also be tremendous changes in other States and Territories. Sydney’s population would reach 7.6 million (up from 4.3 million) and NSW’s population would be 11.8 million. Queensland would replace Victoria as the second most populous State, with 10.9 million residents.

But Melbourne (eight million) would replace Sydney as the biggest city.

The bureau believes Australia’s population will be between 31 million and 42.5 million by 2056. About 25 per cent of those will qualify for the age pension.

At present, Australia has 21 million people, of whom 13 per cent are aged 65 or older.

The median age of Australians is 36.6 and, in WA, 36.2.

Looks like Perth is going to become another massive city. The stigma attached to it is slowly being done away with and more and more people are coming here from over east, such is the work situation.

It pisses me off when people say Perth is 'dull' and there's 'nothing to do'. It really is a great city, and it's good that it's now getting seen for what it is - a great place to live, work and party.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Keep telling yourself that buddy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I really miss Perth, if I could I would move back there in the mornin, lack of forestry in the surroundin regions is a bit of a downer tho, suppose I could do something else, but I would still need a few people to help convey my vehicles over :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

seriously, it's a nice place, but man the nightlife is pathetic, compared to melbourne anyway, I miss melbourne, I think I'd rather live there long term than here for sure. Although I'm sure i'll have a blast here, we're having a bbq now and it's roasting out, you don't get that in melbourne for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeah, people keep trying to tell me that Perth is dead compared to Sydney and Melbourne, maybe it is, I haven't been there (syd&mel), but i hit on a couple of decent spots last night, weren't packed to the gills or anything but decent atmosphere and all, and there is always something to do if ye look for it. Seems to be only people that are just arriving from the east cost that have a problem with it, anyone I"ve talked to that has been here a few weeks can't say good enough about the place.

Advertisement