Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Availability of non-alcoholic beer in Dublin pubs

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently quit the booze for about 8 weeks in preparation for the marathon at the end of October (have done so in previous years also, but only for 3-4 weeks before the event).

However, I love my few pints. Not in terms of getting drunk, but just a few relaxing beers. Last night I bought a bottle of non-alcoholic Erdinger in the supermarket to try it out, and have to say I was very impressed. I've also heard that non-alcholic Cobra is good also.

How widely available are these drinks in Dublin city-centre pubs? Might be meeting a few friends next weekend, and will suggest a venue based on availability of these beers!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I don't know about those particular two brands but most pubs certainly stock one or two non-alcoholic beers.

Restaurants don't though!!! I was totally amazed by that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Erdinger is available in most city centre pubs, not sure about the suburbs but I'd say that unless its a small poky place, you should be able to get it. and I agree, its a cracking drink for a non-alcoholic beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Thanks. Any other recommendations of non-alcoholic beers to try?

Also, would I be correct in assuming that I'm likely to be fleeced on N/A beers in pubs? i.e. do they charge the same price as normal beer, even though I assume the tax is a lot lower on them?

To be honest, I could only taste a marginal difference between the Erdinger N/A and normal Erdinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

I recommend Becks non alco the most - cause not only does it taste about the same as the alco version, the bottle looks almost identical in low light - so you won't have to face yet another tedious barrage of questions about why you're not drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 LULU007

Hi guys,
    I would also expect to be ripped off on those!
    I have to quit alcohol as well as I'm under heavy painkillers for the moment but one thing that bother me though are those drinks reliable as far as the cops are concerned? like you can drive if you're drinking those can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I see Cobra non alcoholic beer is coming up in Aldi soon. What are the opinions on this?

I'm not mad about Becks or Erdingers non alcoholic beers, but my taste in normal beers runs along the lines of Heineken / Carlsberg / bottles of Spaten. (I'm not a non-drinker but sometimes I like the taste of beer without the alcoholic effect!)

Advertisement