Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Light Problem

Options
  • 05-09-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭

I have an 03 Almera saloon.

The brake lights only come on once the pedal has travelled about an inch down. The brakes come on lightly before this and I can actually stop the car without the brakelights lighting up.

Is there any was to 'tune' the pedal/lights to be more sensitive to lighter presses of the pedal?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's the switch. Change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I have an 03 Almera saloon.

The brake lights only come on once the pedal has travelled about an inch down. The brakes come on lightly before this and I can actually stop the car with the brakelights lighting up.

Is there any was to 'tune' the pedal/lights to be more sensitive to lighter presses of the pedal?

I presume you mean that you can actually stop the car without the brake lights lighting up? Its a simple problem. There is a switch under the brake pedal (probably will need to remove the lower dash section to see it) that activates the lights. You can get this replaced and this should solve the problem. Alternatively get it out and have a look at it, maybe it can be reparied. They are cheap to buy and you should be able to replace it yourself.

The other thing is that on lots of cars, the brake light switch is connected to the ECU and hence the ECU does not know the brake is being applied when you apply it at low pressures. This is not ideal.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thanks, will have a look at that after work anyway.
    I have a haynes manual at home, I'm sure this will help too now that I know what to look for

Advertisement