Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo trainers

Options
  • 05-09-2008 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hey lads just wondering if anyone in here does much training on a home turbo? With the weather so sh** and only gonna get worse, I'm thinkin of starting working on one, but hoped someone here would have a bit of advice on what kind of training to do, and whether its an effective substitute for road spins?

I've looked into computer programmes that work with the trainer and they look kinda cool but cost a lot - has anyone here every used one? They may seem like gimicks but if you're planning on using it a lot it might make sense to give it all some structure and fend off the boredom?

Any advice appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hey lads just wondering if anyone in here does much training on a home turbo? With the weather so sh** and only gonna get worse, I'm thinkin of starting working on one, but hoped someone here would have a bit of advice on what kind of training to do, and whether its an effective substitute for road spins?

I've looked into computer programmes that work with the trainer and they look kinda cool but cost a lot - has anyone here every used one? They may seem like gimicks but if you're planning on using it a lot it might make sense to give it all some structure and fend off the boredom?

Any advice appreciated thanks.

Turbo trainers and training - I love it! Most time effective training you can do. However its a supplement for road spins and not a replacement. While you can do 4 hours turbos (and I have) its not a good alternative. Basically buy the good gear (Assos) get mudguards, good shoes and gloves and HTFU. Every hour you spend on the road when your competitors aren't is extra in the bank!

Turbos are only boring if you just sit and spin. you need well structured sessions with clearly defined goals and objectives. if you're session is a warm up and cool down with 8x8 BG you won't notice it flying by. Your legs falling off yes you'll notice that, but not the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

tunney wrote: »
    Turbo trainers and training - I love it! Most time effective training you can do. However its a supplement for road spins and not a replacement. While you can do 4 hours turbos (and I have) its not a good alternative. Basically buy the good gear (Assos) get mudguards, good shoes and gloves and HTFU. Every hour you spend on the road when your competitors aren't is extra in the bank!

Turbos are only boring if you just sit and spin. you need well structured sessions with clearly defined goals and objectives. if you're session is a warm up and cool down with 8x8 BG you won't notice it flying by. Your legs falling off yes you'll notice that, but not the time.

Thanks Tunney, yeah thats been my prob in the past, just staring at the timer willing it on! Whats that 8x8 BG? Is it to do with intervals?

Can you see the benefits of your turbo work on the road in terms of real speed and power or just general fitness?

Maybe you could advise me what kinda sessions I could put in during the week? I'll still be heading out most sat & suns and know what I need there, but from Mon to Fri what kinda work should I put in - focus would be weight loss at first then speed and endurance once thats taken care of! So should it just be high rev calorie burns or whould you recommend those intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks Tunney, yeah thats been my prob in the past, just staring at the timer willing it on! Whats that 8x8 BG? Is it to do with intervals?

Maybe you could advise me what kinda sessions I could put in during the week? I'll still be heading out most sat & suns and know what I need there, but from Mon to Fri what kinda work should I put in - focus would be weight loss at first then speed and endurance once thats taken care of! So should it just be high rev calorie burns or whould you recommend those intervals?

BG is Big Gear. Resistance on turbo up to full. Into 53x12 and grind it out. Takes time to build up to long BG intervals as if you rush into it your knees will complain rather loudly.

As for specific session - I don't know your history, your form, your goals etc etc so I can't really prescribe specific sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chruach

The Tacx website has lots of training programs (aerobic, RPM, power) etc of varying lengths (30, 40, 60 min).

See following example

http://www.tacx.com/mediatheek/files/pdf/trainingsprogrammas/nieuweprogrammas/bra/tacx_workouts_bra_flow_112.pdf

The constant gear and RPM changing helps stop the boredom.

You can build a program to your needs and try to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Borrowed a turbo trainer to give it a go the other day as I was thinking about buying one to get through the winter.

Thought I would enjoy it but my jaysus it's tough to do any length of time on it. I was gonna do an hour but gave up after 40 mins and went out in the rain instead.

IMO it definitely isn't a replacement for the road. Although saying that - I think I remember reading that Jure Robic - the race across america legend - does a lot of training on these (8 hours in a dark room with no ipod or any other sensory "distractions"). Hard-fcuking-core.

I could imagine using it the odd time if the roads were icy and i needed to get some training done... maybe 3 or 4 times during the winter for an hour MAX. but other than that I'll leave it to Robic, thanks...

• Advertisement

Jesus thats heavy, you hear about guys like that and I just think psycho!

I know its no substitute for the real thing, but I do think cycling in the dark and rain over the next 6 months in the evenings could almost be counterproductive and certainly less efficient than a focused session on the turbo.

Between all the hassle of finding the motivation to face the gale force winds, gearing up like an artic explorer, the dangers of riding at night from motorists, potholes etc, not to mention the risking of catching colds etc, I honestly think if you got a good programme on the turbo maybe 2-3 nights a week, in line with weekend road spins, you'd be better off than night time suicide missions! What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Jesus thats heavy, you hear about guys like that and I just think psycho!

I know its no substitute for the real thing, but I do think cycling in the dark and rain over the next 6 months in the evenings could almost be counterproductive and certainly less efficient than a focused session on the turbo.

Between all the hassle of finding the motivation to face the gale force winds, gearing up like an artic explorer, the dangers of riding at night from motorists, potholes etc, not to mention the risking of catching colds etc, I honestly think if you got a good programme on the turbo maybe 2-3 nights a week, in line with weekend road spins, you'd be better off than night time suicide missions! What do you guys think?

From a safety aspect - dark roads and motorists etc. I'd totally agree with you.

The weather will toughen you up though! :pac:

Personally, I'd prefer to be baitin into a gale forceheadwind in the lashings of rain 3 nights a week than sitting on a turbo trainer.

Give it a go though - I'm only offering an opinion obviously - but I'd find it harder to stick to a 2-3 night a week program on a turbo trainer.

As I've said before, just think of Andre Tchmil when you're going out in to this terrible weather:

2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

got one last year dont no how anyone does anythin but interval training on them they are just so boring.great for weekday training when its dark out for doing interval or even tts on it.if your getting one id defo get a fan cause you sweat like a motherf@~er

Haha jaysus thats some pic, well I'm gonna look into them and see if its worth it, I've looked at that tacx website and didn't realise the computer software was so advanced, aside from all the routes they have already, you can even play a real life video that's in sync with your turbo, and there's videos where you train with Rabobank in Majorca or Cadel Evans in Italy!?! Then there's climbs on the Tour de France & giro, one day classics, Ironman comps ... granted its a bit gimicky but I actually think its pretty cool!

Looking at about a grand tho so you'd wanna be turning pro after a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Quigs Snr has the Tacx i-Magic (e.g. the virtual reality one) and I think he likes it- he may be along or otherwise do a search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My bro has a tacx with virtual reality trickery on it. It's quite neat.

blorg wrote: »
    Quigs Snr has the Tacx i-Magic (e.g. the virtual reality one) and I think he likes it- he may be along or otherwise do a search.

Cool blorg that was my next question! Wondering if anybody has one. They're on totalcycling.com so should get to you fairly quick. Be great to hear Quigs' thoughts on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

chruach wrote: »
    The Tacx website has lots of training programs (aerobic, RPM, power) etc of varying lengths (30, 40, 60 min).

See following example

http://www.tacx.com/mediatheek/files/pdf/trainingsprogrammas/nieuweprogrammas/bra/tacx_workouts_bra_flow_112.pdf

The constant gear and RPM changing helps stop the boredom.

You can build a program to your needs and try to follow it.

First post? Welcome! (Though I'm only here a wet week myself and probably being very cheeky to welcome a newbie!)

Do leasainm 'chruach'...cén bhrí atá ceaptha agat leis? Steel? Croagh? An dia págánach?

Advertisement