Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

air flow meter

Options
  • 05-09-2008 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a '98 1.6 Nissan Primera with about 110,000 miles.Recently I have noticed when accelerating and the rev counter hits 3500 rpm the car seems the slow for an instant like its not getting enough air. I replaced spark plugs, HT leads, air filter and distributor cap with no improvement. I took it to a Nissan dealer, who tells me that the AirFlow Meter needs replaced, but they say this can't be done without replacing the whole throttle body. They quote me € 1500 to replace, which obviously isn't worth doing with the age of the car.

Are they correct in telling me they will need to replace the whole throttle body as I consulted a Haynes manual and it seems the airflow meter can be removed and refitted to the throttle body. Can such be done or do the 2 units have to be compatible with each other?
    How often does this problem occur?
    If I pick up a replacement meter or throttle body from a scrap yard, is there a likely chance that the same fault will occur?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Any input would be great.
    Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

It's a common problem on VAG cars and a reconditioned unit from a Seat Main dealer on the Toledo I had a few years ago cost €150 fitted and took all of 15.0mins to do.

Source a recon unit and fit it yourself, shouldn't be a problem if you have the Haynes manual as mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Did you run low in petrol lately? If so your fuel filter could be blocked.
    However, if it is indeed the maf (and knowing nissan) the same maf was probably used in the almera, maxima, ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi
    Thanks for the replys. checked out how the unit was held to the throttle body and there was only 3 screws holding it so i swapped the airflow meter with one from a scrapyard over a week ago and its working great. Car feels totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Well done.:)

Advertisement