Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless Router Question

Options
  • 05-09-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

i am thinking about getting the 10meg connection.

would i be better off paying the €50 to upc to get wireless set up with the hardware that they supply or would it be better to get their normal installation and put the €50 towards a better router?

if i chose the 2nd option, is it easy to set this up.

my main reason for the internet will be gaming on the ps3.

thanks
    benny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Just to let you know, I got the 10meg package but they still threw in the router for free, even though its supposedly an extra €50. So norm harm in asking and playing dumb. If they are going to charge though, I would buy my own, and go for a linksys.

In general a router is very easy to setup, you will be fine doing it yourself. Literally just plugging in a few wires and some security settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

Buy your own router. They are almost idiot proof to install, why youd pay anyone 50 yoyos i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

can anyone recommend a good router for around the 50 quid mark.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

You sound like you have a bit of knowledge so I'd recommend a router that can run alternative firmwares such as DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F

I have the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 & it works very reliably for me with the PS3 for both online gaming & video streaming (.vob files so massive bandwidth - and not a stutter in sight!)

Aparently the UPC supplied Netgear yoke is a dog - most of your €50 goes on paying the guy to install it...

Have a look at the Asus WL-520GU maybe:
    http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Asus+WL-520GU

you could plug a USB disk into and NAS it...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Dardania wrote: »
    You sound like you have a bit of knowledge so I'd recommend a router that can run alternative firmwares such as DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F

I have the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 & it works very reliably for me with the PS3 for both online gaming & video streaming (.vob files so massive bandwidth - and not a stutter in sight!)

Aparently the UPC supplied Netgear yoke is a dog - most of your €50 goes on paying the guy to install it...

Have a look at the Asus WL-520GU maybe:
    http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Asus+WL-520GU

you could plug a USB disk into and NAS it...

is this the same model that you have http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4Z6F&CategorySelectedId=11177&NavigationKey=11177,4294959958,4294959957

• Advertisement

Exactly - yes. It seems to be the model pre-loaded with DD-WRT.

40 cheaper than when I got it too...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Exactly - yes. It seems to be the model pre-loaded with DD-WRT.

40 cheaper than when I got it too...!

I have that Netgear Router and am looking to ditch it. Problems with it allowing other devices to attach, and issues with issuing dynamic IP addresses, etc. (Two devices concerned are a Dell Laptop and a Kodak photo frame).

Anyone any suggestions. Belkin or Linksys?

Thanks,

Freddie.

Freddie59 wrote: »

Anyone any suggestions. Belkin or Linksys?

Look four posts up

As a non-sarcastic sidenote I have the Kodak 8" WiFi photo frame running over my Buffallo fine...if only they allowed random photo order it would be a perfect device...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Look four posts up

As a non-sarcastic sidenote I have the Kodak 8" WiFi photo frame running over my Buffallo fine...if only they allowed random photo order it would be a perfect device...

Ooooops!:o:p

Thanks for that. I have the same frame, but every time it tries to connect I get the whole 'cannot get dynamic address from router' blah blah. Reset the router (under 'apply' in settings) then it connects. It's frustrating. I'll go with the Buffalo one then.

Cheers,

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the netgear router is a joke, i just got a switch cos i dont need wireless and have nat1 on the ps3 so no need to forward ports for games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 farrep24

We recently got Broadband with UPC 3MB with the wired modem.

We connected our existing wireless modem/router (that we had previous received from Perlico) Zyxel P 660 to the Scientific Atlanta Modem that we received from UPC.

We can get some intermittent wireless access with Windows XP, but there appears to be constant interference where I have to regularly "repair" in Intel ProSet Wireless which is very frustrating!

But we cannot get any wireless Internet access using Vista Laptop, even though the laptop is detecting the Wireless Modem.

Any suggestions to resolve these issues are greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You need a router with an RJ45 WAN port like the suggested one above.

MC
    farrep24 wrote: »
    We recently got Broadband with UPC 3MB with the wired modem.

We connected our existing wireless modem/router (that we had previous received from Perlico) Zyxel P 660 to the Scientific Atlanta Modem that we received from UPC.

We can get some intermittent wireless access with Windows XP, but there appears to be constant interference where I have to regularly "repair" in Intel ProSet Wireless which is very frustrating!

But we cannot get any wireless Internet access using Vista Laptop, even though the laptop is detecting the Wireless Modem.

Any suggestions to resolve these issues are greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What MunsterCycling says.

Specifically if a Router has an ADSL port, you can't use it as an ethernet Router. So it's only an Access Point and Switch when using a separate Modem. Which isn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 foz_e_bear

Yeah I've got BT at the moment (with phone line) it's only 2 or 3mb, but it's been getting slower and slower. They supplied a Zyxel wireless router. If I change over to UPC can I use this do you know? It's a Zyxel P660? And how easy is it to set up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What about if one were to go for the 20mb package with the router supplied for free? Is it still better to buy a different one yourself?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

foz_e_bear wrote: »
    Yeah I've got BT at the moment (with phone line) it's only 2 or 3mb, but it's been getting slower and slower. They supplied a Zyxel wireless router. If I change over to UPC can I use this do you know? It's a Zyxel P660? And how easy is it to set up?

No. Read the two posts directly above your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

What about if one were to go for the 20mb package with the router supplied for free? Is it still better to buy a different one yourself?

The router is grand as a freebie ,it costs about €60 to buy online. I was having issues with pages being laggy ,so I decided to buy a router myself.
    Got the linksys wrt54gl that the lads recommended here and I flashed it with a unix firmware and pages are loading much faster. Havent noticed any lags and delighted I bought it

Might sell the netgear ,nice looking yoke all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 36 foz_e_bear

dub45 wrote: »
    No. Read the two posts directly above your post.

Okay thanks. Mind you I'm not techie so if I knew what the two posts above me meant I wouldn't have asked the question!

Advertisement