Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chickens and rabbits and all that

Options
  • 05-09-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

i have spent the last few days feeding the neighbours chickens and ducks and rabbits while he is away on holidays

he has an old farmyard with quite a few birds

my kids are enjoying too seeing where eggs come from and being frightened to pick up an egg because it was hot

i would have hens out the back in the morning only the wife is convinced they are psychopathic creatures waiting to take over the world

anyway,my question is do you need to register a flock/group/herd of hens with anyone here or is it just belt away?

the same question for keeping a pig around the place for meat purposes.i know there is a load of red tape with large animals,sheep and cows etc as i was a farm mananger but i haven't a clue about small scale stuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

oflynno wrote: »
    i have spent the last few days feeding the neighbours chickens and ducks and rabbits while he is away on holidays

he has an old farmyard with quite a few birds

my kids are enjoying too seeing where eggs come from and being frightened to pick up an egg because it was hot

i would have hens out the back in the morning only the wife is convinced they are psychopathic creatures waiting to take over the world

anyway,my question is do you need to register a flock/group/herd of hens with anyone here or is it just belt away?

the same question for keeping a pig around the place for meat purposes.i know there is a load of red tape with large animals,sheep and cows etc as i was a farm mananger but i haven't a clue about small scale stuff

The Mother in Law has chickens, ducks and geese. She got into a bit of a tizzy when she heard about the new Fowl registration system that was supposed to control the bird flue.
    She was on the phone to departent officials who told her that she had to register them. Just happened on the same day that their Teagasc adviser was
    out to visit them for REPS and he laughed at the situation. He assured her that she wouldn't need to register them if they were for home use only. If she was selling chicks, eggs or meat, then registration would be necessary. He was even able to produce a document from the dep to back up what he told her.

As for the pig, you wouldn't need to register him if he was for your own use and you were going to slaughter him, cure him and cut him yourself. If you were going to bring him to an abbitoir to get him slaughtered or a butcher to get the meat cut, he would need to be traceable to satisfy any department of ag officials that might inspect the butcher shop or abitoir. ie. you would need a herd number and a tag in his ear!

Hope that helps

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

eh,i don't fancy the idea of killing and chopping up the pig at all

i remember calling to a butcher in kerry on holidays and he gave me a shopping back to give to my granny.it was full of pig liver and still at body temperature

urrrgghhhh,fresh

Advertisement