Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any links to LIPF panels?

• 05-09-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hoping to apply for a LIPF distinction. I know a lot of you guys already have this. Do any of you have links to your LIPF panel? I'm trying to get an idea of the standard expected and the types of themes/linkages running through panels.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

bravo wrote: »
    Hoping to apply for a LIPF distinction. I know a lot of you guys already have this. Do any of you have links to your LIPF panel? I'm trying to get an idea of the standard expected and the types of themes/linkages running through panels.

I gotta ask this, just what is LIPF ??!? I presume the IP in the middle is Irish Photography or something similar. Coming from a situation nowadays when you can expect to google for something and find out what it is in a matter of seconds, LIPF has left me completely stumped. The ONLY appropriate reference I can find for it is one Kilkenny photographer, Richard Dwyer, who references it on his pbase page.

Unless of course LIPF is the Long Island Photo Frame society or something ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

it is a distinction awarded by the Irish Photographic Federation

heres amine i got in november

panel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Here's mine from last year...

distinction_panel.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hoping to go for my Licentiate in November.

The IPF have three levels of distinction

Licentiate, Associate & Fellow

There is more information on the IPF Website but I cannot find it right now.

If you are in Dublin there will be a series of workshops to help prepare LIPF Panels starting soon at DCC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

They are both good panels. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

ahHa. Thanks all. Latchiko, some exceptional B&W work there. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Great set of images. Not sure if I can be assed going for it, it doesnt make any difference having any intials after my name

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

This is my panel I am hoping to use in November for my L
    2981803417_2c358951f2.jpg

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

No offense, but what is the whole point of this "titles" apart from having something to type before/after my name in e-mails? They seem as practical as VRT.

For me, it is having a panel of my images judged by a group of my peers and also marks a point in terms of my progression in photography. The title doesn't matter to me.
    For others, this could be different.

Darragh

• Advertisement

Who here has applied to submit a panel in November?

I am trying to get mine sorted now. Will be in Malta on the 22nd so will not be there to see it put up.

cabinsail

give me a shout if you want me to print and mount yours etc, i will be there on the day so can drop it in for ya

s

Thanks for the offer Steve.

Got them almost sorted now & the crew at DCC will put them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

CabanSail wrote: »
    The IPF have three levels of distinction

Licentiate, Associate & Fellow

There is more information on the IPF Website but I cannot find it right now.
    I'm guessing this is the page.

First I heard of this sort of thing, from now on I won't even look at a photo unless it was taken by an xIPF, including my own.:D

The protocols make interesting reading (my emphasis)
    Reasons for refusal could be, for example, failure to pay the appropriate fee, plagiarism, not being in good standing with the IPF, false declaration etc
    Why am I reminded of the movie "not strictly ballroom".

No doubt they're ok in practice, the goal of promoting photography in Ireland is laudable. I'm guessing there must be markets/careers where the accreditation gives an edge (eg business plan aimed at securing a fat overdraft facility), and having to meet a standard might motivate some people to learn faster or more than they otherwise would.

That said, the "exam" type methodology wouldn't interest me personally any more than competitions which some people clearly enjoy, I much prefer the general spirit of co-operation and sharing on boards.ie, it's absolutely diamond.

Just reading through the literature on the site I think that "not being in good standing" means that you, or your club, have not paid the membership to the IPF.

Just reading through the literature on the site I think that "not being in good standing" means that you, or your club, have not paid the membership to the IPF.
    Aha, that makes a lot more sense than my cronyism suspicion.
    What was I thinking, must have been a sub-conscious negative reaction to the notion of going through the process myself, total Walter Mitty here by times, ta for the sanity check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Actually, it was the stipulation that the L entry form had to be signed by the secretary of the club to prove my 'good standing' that scuppered me this time around, because as usual I left things too late and didn't get around to getting it signed.

At least, that's my excuse:) I'm a bit ambivalent towards the distinction process. It's odd because I want to push myself towards being a better photographer and ultimately I suppose one way of judging that progress is by putting a panel of work up before a jury and having it evaluated.

But on the other hand, I take photos for me (and my nearest and dearest) and I don't feel the urge to have what I do validated by the IPF or anyone else really. The stubborn cynic in me sees the IPF (for all their laudable aims and I really do admire a lot of what they do) as 'the system' or 'the man' and I don't crave it's approval!

Mini-rant over, spleen thoroughly vented:)

I have submitted my panel for Saturday.

Will be away in Malta, so will not be there to hear the result.

This is what I am putting forward.

Panel.jpg

A big thanks to Steve (stcstc) for the assistance in printing the Mono's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Nice set of images there, obviously can't see them full size, but they hang together well, I'd imagine you should do well. Best of luck.

PS ignore my mini rant above, I was in a bad mood cos I was to lazy to get my application form signed in time:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Are you allowed to mix mono & colour prints within the same panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Arciphel wrote: »
    Are you allowed to mix mono & colour prints within the same panel?
    Yup, It's usually one or the other but there's nothing to say you can't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hmmm, that's gonna be very important for me when I try mine next year, cheers!;)

Start doing it early is my advise. I only finished mine up yesterday and thought it was going to be easier then it was. Good luck to everyone on Saturday who's going for it!!

congrats to Darragh, Paula & Brendan from Offshoot camera club for gaining their LIPF distinctions today

and to cabinsail who also got his LIPF

I just got a text to say I got through :D

WooHoo!!

LIPF

They must let anyone get through if I can get it!! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

I just got a text to say I got through :D

WooHoo!!

LIPF

They must let anyone get through if I can get it!! LOL

Well Done and Congratulations

Well done to everybody who got it today :)

Well done folks, and if anyone didn't get it this time hopefully it was a good learning experience that positions you to get it next time.

There are shots on those panels that I'd expect to see on sale as haut decor, very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Is anyone on here a member of the IPPA or any of the British organisations?

• Advertisement

Here is my panel from today:
    3051431552_aedde12fcf.jpg

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

Welldone people!!! Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Burago wrote: »
    Is anyone on here a member of the IPPA or any of the British organisations?

Old thread, I know.

Anyway, I'm a member of SISLP (and SWPP), and during the week was awarded my Licentiate. So, once it's confirmed in writing, I'll have LSISLP. :D

Congratulations Paul.

What's the process to gain a LSISLP?

Seems fairly similar to the others. Submit a selection of images on a selected topic (sport), have them reviewed and then see what happens.

I submitted 20 rugby images for review, under their "Mentor Me" option, and they deemed the images worthy of Licentiate.

Other than that, you pay a fee to submit images for licenciate review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Congrats Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Paulw wrote: »
    Old thread, I know.

Anyway, I'm a member of SISLP (and SWPP), and during the week was awarded my Licentiate. So, once it's confirmed in writing, I'll have LSISLP. :D

Kept that quiet, you crafty old dog you :-)))

Nicely done tho!!

Kept that quiet, you crafty old dog you :-)))

Nicely done tho!!

Well, don't want to get a reputation or anything. :D

Only got confirmation by email yesterday, so didn't want to say anything. Will have the email cert next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just sent in my images for the mentor me program. Should be interesting.

kensutz wrote: »
    Just sent in my images for the mentor me program. Should be interesting.

I'd be surprised if you don't get licentiate.

Mind you, after reviewing some of the comments on my images, it did seem that the programme was more designed for wedding/portrait style, rather than sport/journalistic style. They expected images to be fully processed - cloning, adjustments, etc. One comment was about a steward in the background having a very bright jacket, and that I should have desaturated his jacked to reduce the impact on the overall image.

I think, next time I submit images there, I will make sure to fully edit/process them, much more than I would for web/press usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hmm I just did quick processing too. I'll have a scout at the images to see if any rogue stewards are in view :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement