Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone signal blocker

• 05-09-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the legal status of the above-mentioned, where they can be purchased and how effective they are? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

Yorky wrote: »
    Does anyone know the legal status of the above-mentioned, where they can be purchased and how effective they are? Thanks in advance.
    They should be using these blocker thingeys in the Prisons so the gangsters cant arrange for shipments of guns and drugs to be transported into this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

They would require a radio license, as I think they transmit at the same frequencies as mobiles but just a lot stronger.
    And as mobile operators "own" the frequencies, you would have to have some agreement with them and also comreg. (I think thats how it would work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,071 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

billbond4 wrote: »
    They would require a radio license, as I think they transmit at the same frequencies as mobiles but just a lot stronger.
    And as mobile operators "own" the frequencies, you would have to have some agreement with them and also comreg. (I think thats how it would work)

i'm not sure about that - i think cinemas have the technology to block mobile phone signals but i have never heard a mention of a radio license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I think cinemas in the UK had installed some mobile phone signal blockers, but they had to remove them as they didnt have licenses for them.
    I dont know what kind of licenses they were required to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

dealextreme.com sell them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

eth0_ wrote: »
    dealextreme.com sell them

Thanks. Do you know what sort would work best in a two floor building of approx.2200 square feet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yorky wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you know what sort would work best in a two floor building of approx.2200 square feet?

I have no idea.
    Why do you want this blocker? A building that size sounds like apartments or offices...you do realise it is ILLEGAL for you to operate a mobile signal blocker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Apart from being illegal to operate the Garda are likely to come down heavily on you if they find you in possession of a GSM blocker. The reason is that GSM and GPS blocking devices are used by criminals stealing cars, trucks and plant to make their tracking devices ineffective (most trackers use a modified GSM phone to report their position), so if you are caught with one they will suspect that you could be in some way involved in such crime.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

billbond4 wrote: »
    I think cinemas in the UK had installed some mobile phone signal blockers, but they had to remove them as they didnt have licenses for them.
    I dont know what kind of licenses they were required to have.

You're right you need a license to operate in the frequency range to block the signals. I think it works like a small network that blocks the other signals. Cinemas here (savoy) purchased one but they weren't allowed to use it as they weren't licensed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

They should be using these blocker thingeys in the Prisons so the gangsters cant arrange for shipments of guns and drugs to be transported into this country

You beat me to it, dead right too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement