Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Trouble on Focus

Options
  • 05-09-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A couple of times in my focus the engine has cut out while driving. It usually happens when I leave it in neutral when changing gear, for a split second before getting into gear.

Ok, the gear changing could be better, but we're talking margins of split seconds here and I think there could be an underlying problem.

Anything I should check? Spark plugs etc?
    Kind Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Could be a number of things. Plugs and/or plug leads is a possible, as is a faulty Lambda. In the latter case the symptoms are usually high emissions, hesitation noticeable when slowing down using engine braking, and quietly dying when coming to a stop with the clutch depressed. The best and cheapest way to find out is to take the car to one of the quick fit servicing places (Pitstop etc) who can connect up their diagnostic machine to it and interrogate the engine management system. That will tell you what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Is it a 1.4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The ignition coil may need replacing, alot of them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

ART6 wrote: »
    Could be a number of things. Plugs and/or plug leads is a possible, as is a faulty Lambda. In the latter case the symptoms are usually high emissions, hesitation noticeable when slowing down using engine braking, and quietly dying when coming to a stop with the clutch depressed. The best and cheapest way to find out is to take the car to one of the quick fit servicing places (Pitstop etc) who can connect up their diagnostic machine to it and interrogate the engine management system. That will tell you what the problem is.

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Is it a 1.4 ?

Yeah! 2000 is the year

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i had a coil got in a 99 focus a few years back, only issue with it in 7 years. didn't have this affect though, doubt it is the coil. Unless it has been running rough and lower power for a while already.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

I had similar problems on a 1.6 focus recently. Replacing plugs and leads did the trick - the plug electrodes were badly eroded when I took them out, probably hadn't been changed for a very long time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Great user name "bloke"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Yeah! 2000 is the year

It could be a faulty fuel pump, it's a problem with 1.4's.

Advertisement