Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much for 76 square metre extension?

• 05-09-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi

Going out to tender for a 76 sq metre extension to a 3 bed semi soon. Its in south dublin area.

Anybody any ideas as to cost of the build? I know it depends on the quality of the finish etc etc but given the current climate, approx figures?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

76 square metres is approx 818 sq ft. I assume its over two floors so dependent on the builder and the materials you are asking for given that you should ensure its energy efficient and not knowing site access etc... I'd say somewhere around €70k. You have to take into account - new foundations for the extension, building and scaffolding the extension, connecting into the current house, possible diversion and movement of services (water, sewer, electric etc...), windows, roofing, plastering, tiling/flooring, and then whatever you're putting into it. Without full details its hard to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

€70K! On a three bed semi! I have seen people spend from €200k upwards. It cost my neighbour about €25k to get to the stage where the foundations were poured. €5k to €6k of that went on skips alone. The institute of quantity surveyors reckons rebuilding costs at €200 per square foot. Extensions are quite tricky to build because of people living on the site and the restricted access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Is it not a little late to be thinking how much it will cost if you are at the tender stage. Did you not work out approx cost before getting planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭disland

Thanks guys. Yes its 2 story extension. Access to site is easy as its end of street house.

Yes, I did rough estimates with a quantity surveyor but that was about a year ago. I was really looking for thoughts for now given that builders would be competing a lot more with each other to get work.

Oh, and we will be moving out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

disland wrote: »
    Yes, I did rough estimates with a quantity surveyor but that was about a year ago. I was really looking for thoughts for now given that builders would be competing a lot more with each other to get work.
    Spoke to a builder recently, a friend. He works mainly on extensions. He says he is inundated with work at present and is refusing jobs. He claims the builders having trouble are those doing large work such as housing estates or apartment blocks. These builders are not going to do small jobs and are simply laying off staff. He sees no imminent downturn for himself or others doing extensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Rates can only drop so far . a builder can not afford to pay for your extension.
    materials costs are rising all the time . so labour is the only place to cut .

You need to think €2k m2 for anywere around the M50 - still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

I just paid €30k for a 23 sq m single story extn, your's is 3 times the size but 2 storey so I'd be thinking around the 70k mark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

given its 818 sq. feet then a basic build would be approx 150 per sq foot : 818x150 = 122k

i really think you will be paying about 100k for the extension imo.

dont forget to post back up the quotes you got from the builders so we can see if we are close or way off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

sinnerboy wrote: »

Excellent

Cheers,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ROSEVILLA

hi
    Didn't realise extensions could cost so much. Anyone know of any builders who would just come out anf give a free qutoe. Also, how much do cost and planning permission ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nearly all builders will need a plan to price the work.

In relation to the cost of preparing plans for a planning application it will depend on how complex your extension is, who you retain to design it and what part of the country you are in.

If you are building less than 25 sq. metres to the rear of the house there is a good chance you wont need permission - details here

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Hi.

78sqm extension in carlow town to side of dwelling, single storey all in, €68k. Have also got quotes of €78k and €98k, built to a decent standart. I would imagine you could add 10's of thousands to that in dublin.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Have to agree with ZYX re: the down turn I think small builders that give a fair price and do a good job will always have work. :confused:

2 quotes of 7 back.

1. 240,000
    2. 180,000

No wooden floors, decking, kitchen included - everything else is (obviously not the furniture etc!!!)

Advertisement