Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA...

Options
  • 05-09-2008 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

I was meant to be starting an MSCA course next week but it looks like its been called off... I've been offered a place in a CCNA course if I want it...

Whats invloved in the course/exams?? Difficulty?? What line of work does it lead to??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

one exam 640-802

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

would have a natural progression towards ip routing / networking. Tough exam designed to challenge you but its a top notch course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

unklerosco wrote: »
    Whats invloved in the course/exams?? Difficulty??
    The CCNA basically teaches you about network infrastructure and networks in general (by general I mean fairly indept). A large part of the course is IP addressing and subnetting also.

I passed it a short while back and I found I learnt a huge amount whilst studying for it. I actually did it as an evening course maybe 3/4 years ago but when I actually started studying for it myself I realised that I wasn't thought half of what I learnt via self-study in the course but then again that may just have been a bad tutor.
    What line of work does it lead to??
    I guess a network engineer. There are jobs out there specifically for Cisco network engineer. I am coupling it with an MCSA (and afterwards an MCSE) to cover both network infrastructure and server/client OSes to cover me all-round as a network admin since I think you kind of need to know both the infrastructure and software to be able to do an effective job maintaining a network.

It depends on what experience/knowledge you already have and what position/knowledge you wish to achieve. It definitely is a good course though if you want to learn about networks other than the operating systems of servers and clients e.g. it covers cabling, ip addressing, wireless, network protocols, switching, routing, OSI + TCP/IP layers, Ethernet LANs, WAN technologys/protocols etc etc.

You can achieve the CCNA qualification via one exam (640-802 CCNA) or via 2 exams 640-822 (CCENT/ICND1) and the 640-816 (INCD2). I did it in two exams since there is a lot of time pressure to do it in one exam i.e. answering all the questions in the time given. I was well prepared for the exams so I passed well (a score of about 82-85% is the minimum needed to pass) there is a fair bit to learn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Cheers for the reply... As a career I'm looking more at the OS's of servers/clients but as you say it makes sense to know how a network itself works...

Its gonna be my first time back studying since I did the leaving which is 10yrs ago now n I am useless at studying... I didn't want to jump right in and do a fairly hard exam and although I work in IT I don't really do anything major on the networking side of things... Hence the reason why I want to learn it so my boss can take on more involving jobs..

Would you recommend it as a first course/exam back or is there something else I could do to ease myself back into studying before I take it on...

Cheers for the reply... As a career I'm looking more at the OS's of servers/clients but as you say it makes sense to know how a network itself works...

Its gonna be my first time back studying since I did the leaving which is 10yrs ago now n I am useless at studying... I didn't want to jump right in and do a fairly hard exam and although I work in IT I don't really do anything major on the networking side of things... Hence the reason why I want to learn it so my boss can take on more involving jobs..

Would you recommend it as a first course/exam back or is there something else I could do to ease myself back into studying before I take it on...
    Dont see it as studying - see it as learning. You will learn lots in the CCNA that will come in handy since it is a very practical course unlike the MS Exams.

I hate staring at a book myself but when it comes to technology I only have to read something once and I remember it because I am interested in it. Also don't just read the book - make sure you take your time and let things sink in and make sure you take plenty of breaks inbetween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

axer wrote: »
    Dont see it as studying - see it as learning. You will learn lots in the CCNA that will come in handy since it is a very practical course unlike the MS Exams.

I hate staring at a book myself but when it comes to technology I only have to read something once and I remember it because I am interested in it. Also don't just read the book - make sure you take your time and let things sink in and make sure you take plenty of breaks inbetween.

Apologies for the hijack did you use a lab, sim or just your exposure to the tech at work? Or of course just the book(s)?

If you had a 640-801 book (Lammle) would you replace it?

• Advertisement

Jackz wrote: »
    Apologies for the hijack did you use a lab, sim or just your exposure to the tech at work? Or of course just the book(s)?

If you had a 640-801 book (Lammle) would you replace it?
    I actually did a course first (although it was not a very good course now when I look back). We got to use some routers and switches there - not alot but some. I also own a 2600 router.

I have the Cisco Packet Tracer network simulator software which I found to be by far the best for learning with since you can watch the packets travelling across the network.

Books-wise I used the cisco press books along with the Lammle book and the CCENT and CCNA Exam Cram books (which I found great).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Cheers for the info axer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Not much of a fan when it comes to book learning, i find it really hard to be honest. I find it much easier to look at Video Lectures like CBT Nuggets and do the little bits extra from a book....ohh and i work with the stuff also, big help. Has worked a treat for me so far.

Advertisement