Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examples of ASP or AJAX sites needed

Options
  • 05-09-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who doesnt have a boards account (the freak!).

anyway, he's setting up a website and has had an AJAX application written by a third party. Unfortunately, despite the best( and very helpful) efforts of tech support in both Register365 (namesco) and blacknight the application isnt working. Third party are saying its the hosting providers but from what I, and my friend can see, both hosting providers have webhosting packages that more than meet the requirements of the third party app.

What I need:

What I would like are some links to websites hosted either in Register365 or Blacknight (or Digiweb) that use an AJAX application running ASP 2.0 , and ajax 2.0 (?) and running a SQL 2000 backend (or 2005, they should be compatible but obviously closer to 2000 the better).

Why?
    Because I'm not convinced its the hosting provider and I owuld like to be able to have my friend show a similar setup to the third party and ask "how come theirs works and yours doesnt if the platform or hardware is the issue" , or have it proven that yes, the hosting package requires upgrading to a dedicated box - obviously shelling out the cash for a dedicated box in the hope that it will get the appliation workign is not really the soundest business plan especially givent hte developers argument of "it works on my machine so it should work on yours"....

any links etc woul dbe appreciated as well as any details of the backend , language , hosting package and any issues you had to tweak settings for to get it working.

thanks

LoLth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

For the record, AJAX is javascript. You can run AJAX on your own machine, AJAX not running would not be an issue with a web hosting provider.

With regard to ASP and SQLserver, providing you have a windows account, both of the hosts in question support that.

Are you getting error messages? What error messages are you getting, they may indicate what the problem is. If you want PM me the website address and I will take a quick look. It's normally pretty easy to tell if it's a host related issue or a code one. (For example, the errors that are thrown will normally indicate if it is something missing from the provider or just bad code).

Have you tried getting the coder to install the app on the server for you? It might not just simply rely on the technoligys that you listed, there are a million and one other things it might require (3rd party tools etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

oeb wrote: »
    For the record, AJAX is javascript. You can run AJAX on your own machine, AJAX not running would not be an issue with a web hosting provider.
    I suspect the OP is referring to the AJAX extensions which are server-side not client-side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

blacknight wrote: »
    I suspect the OP is referring to the AJAX extensions which are server-side not client-side

Shows what I know. I'll go back to my open source solution then =)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Ah, should have specified, yes it is AJAX extensions server side.

blacknight, I'll pass your email address along to my friend so you can ask any questions directly without having to go through myself as interpreter

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I've got ajax apps with asp 2 and mssql 2000/2005 backends, running on shared servers in register365 and on a dedicated server in blacknight. Never had an issue. A number of them are backend apps so can't really give out urls. http://ourmemoryof.com is one actually that you can check out.

Have you considered a VPS from Blacknight. Not as expensive as dedicated and you can customise to suit your needs exactly: www.blacknightvps.com

Rgds,

Dave

• Advertisement
Advertisement