Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selenium

Options
  • 05-09-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know good natural sources of Selenium?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I did a quick google. Apparently:

Fish and shellfish
    Red meat, chicken and liver
    Grains
    Eggs
    Garlic
    Brewer's yeast and wheat germ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

ntlbell wrote: »
    Anyone know good natural sources of Selenium?

The World's Healthiest Foods website is great for little tidbits of info like this (as well as for large tomes of info too!).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

g'em wrote: »
    The World's Healthiest Foods website is great for little tidbits of info like this (as well as for large tomes of info too!).

ah what an excellent resource, cheers gem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I always heard Brazil nuts were good if that's any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Yep - brazil nuts all the way!

I read in men's health before that men should eat 2/3 Brazil Nuts a day to keep selenium levels up.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_7_21/ai_n14933672

good anti-oxident against cancer, heart disease and keeps the little swimmers going too, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Brazil nuts. And for general information, Irish soil tends to be very depleted of selenium. Horse breeders always give their horses extra selenium, so I would definitely assume that you won't get enough from your normal diet unless you make an effort to eat selenium rich food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thanks all

have stocked up on the brazil nuts seem to be the easiest way to top up for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

g'em wrote: »

You got there before me. Its like my bible for eating. Its almost as good as having your own personal disease preventing doctor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

mick_irl wrote: »
    Yep - brazil nuts all the way!

I read in men's health before that men should eat 2/3 Brazil Nuts a day to keep selenium levels up.
    Brazil nuts are not uniform in their selenium content and may contain much more or much less than the estimated 50 micrograms per nut. No more than one or two Brail nuts should be consumed daily to avoid excessive accumulation of selenium in tissues. (Thomson CD, Chisholm A, et al.,Am J Clin Nutr)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=95

Advertisement