Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optilase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I had Wavefront LASIK with Optilase in Cork on Wednesday,
    they just started surgeries in Cork this week.

Dr Hurley performed the procedure.

Went back yesterday for check up and my vision is better than 20:20 in both eyes already.
    Dry eyes to be expected so drops are needed for a few weeks but I've had no pain at all.
    My daytime vision is perfect but nighttime vision has a little way to go yet, so I'm hoping this will improve within a few weeks.
    Wearing the patches at night is annoying, I'm paranoid I'll tear them off in my sleep, but this is just for two weeks.

Overall I am delighted with the service provided. The staff there were a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Kaz88

Getting my laser done in Optilase in Dublin this weekend. really excited about not having to wear glasses anymore (no more fumbeling around to find them in the morning, no more going out at night BLIND to clubs, and no more fogging up in the cold weather) but a little apprehensive at the same time!

I decided to start looking for some horror stories to see if it would turn me off but I think from the vast majority of the reviews people are happy (good old boards letting me find out everything) - I know a few people who have gotten it done in a few places around the country and everyone I know is really happy so Im still going to bite the bullet at the weekend (29th Oct) and get it done.

The original consultation in Ely place went really well and as I was told - if you can get through that the actual surgery no problem! :D

So I will let you all know how it goes and give you a full run down when Im done :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pat McGet

Hi, how did you get on with the surgery? I have decided to get it done and am trying to decide at the moment who to go with!
    Kaz88 wrote: »
    Getting my laser done in Optilase in Dublin this weekend. really excited about not having to wear glasses anymore (no more fumbeling around to find them in the morning, no more going out at night BLIND to clubs, and no more fogging up in the cold weather) but a little apprehensive at the same time!

I decided to start looking for some horror stories to see if it would turn me off but I think from the vast majority of the reviews people are happy (good old boards letting me find out everything) - I know a few people who have gotten it done in a few places around the country and everyone I know is really happy so Im still going to bite the bullet at the weekend (29th Oct) and get it done.

The original consultation in Ely place went really well and as I was told - if you can get through that the actual surgery no problem! :D

So I will let you all know how it goes and give you a full run down when Im done :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pat McGet wrote: »
    Hi, how did you get on with the surgery? I have decided to get it done and am trying to decide at the moment who to go with!

Had my 1week check up yesterday - and Im better than 20:20. Its amazing! Had my first night out on Saturday and could see everyone in the club (wasnt a contact lense wearer before) and it was surreal!! Have a little bit of glare at night but this should take about a mth to calm down I was told. My bruising (from teh suction they use) is practically gone too

Still cant touch the eye for another week so have to be careful rubbing it etc but no pain - have kept up the eye drops so no real dry eye either :D

Got it done in Optilase in Ely Place - its handy to get to and the people was fab! I was very worried about the operation beforehand but I had no need to be - yea it was a bit weird but so quick that its done and dusted before you know it!!

Im one happy lass ever since! Pointing out everything I can read in the distance etc! I work on computers all day last week was a bit tough but I took a day off to recover just incase and they get a bit tired by 5pm but no complaints as of yet :D:D Have to go back in 3 weeks now for my mth check up

Just wondering how you managed with makeup after the procedure? I've had consultations with both optical express and optilase and I am leaning towards optilase at the moment as they don't seem to be as sales orientated as optical express who are ringing me every day to see if I am going to book yet. They are both the same price £2790 for wavefront with intralase but now optical express are offering me the intralase free making them £600 cheaper!

Kaz88 wrote: »
    Had my 1week check up yesterday - and Im better than 20:20. Its amazing! Had my first night out on Saturday and could see everyone in the club (wasnt a contact lense wearer before) and it was surreal!! Have a little bit of glare at night but this should take about a mth to calm down I was told. My bruising (from teh suction they use) is practically gone too

Still cant touch the eye for another week so have to be careful rubbing it etc but no pain - have kept up the eye drops so no real dry eye either :D

Got it done in Optilase in Ely Place - its handy to get to and the people was fab! I was very worried about the operation beforehand but I had no need to be - yea it was a bit weird but so quick that its done and dusted before you know it!!

Im one happy lass ever since! Pointing out everything I can read in the distance etc! I work on computers all day last week was a bit tough but I took a day off to recover just incase and they get a bit tired by 5pm but no complaints as of yet :D:D Have to go back in 3 weeks now for my mth check up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

Hi was just wondering how they calculate the prices... it says 495 to 995 for premier and 995 to 1295 for the other one.. does it totally depend on your prescription? I'm like -6 and -4 or something like that, am i right to assume my price would be fairly close to the max? thanks....

Hi was just wondering how they calculate the prices... it says 495 to 995 for premier and 995 to 1295 for the other one.. does it totally depend on your prescription? I'm like -6 and -4 or something like that, am i right to assume my price would be fairly close to the max? thanks....

I don't think it totally depends on prescription. I was -1.5 and was charged 2790£ for LASIK with wavefront and intralase. Best to go for the free consult and they will give you a quote. I'd say all prices are near the max! I got mine done a month ago though and can't complain, it was money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got mine done in Optilase in September so just had my three month check. Was minus 5.75, now better than 20/20

The worst bit was not being able to wear mascara for a week and the pain was less than getting my legs waxed. Still taking out imaginary contact lenses...! No pain, no night blurring. Eyes a bit tired the first day after. And with the central heating on I was popping in dry eyes drops. But it's such a great relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The joys of being ShortSighted. My prescription is +2.5 for my right and +3.5 for left i.e. Longsighted. I tried to get laser surgery done before but was told my prescription was too high :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 polaca_uno

Hi! I am going to have my laser surgery with Optilase done in february and was wondering if anyone would like to be my recommending person? (this is about this 100e off promotion). I would need to know the contact details of the person who recommends me (name, address and phone number) when I go for my pre-surgery appointment. Who would like to help me out with it?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alfiej

Hi all,
    I have recently had an assessment with Optilase on ely place. I saw yvonne who was really helpful. However I have received some calls from a girl tierna I think her name is and have been made feel quite pressured, could anyone help with this? Also I heard theyve recently cancelled surgery and have had a couple of infection cases. I am thinking of going to Blackrock or the Wellington now as I feel they would be most professional.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Faith+1 wrote: »
    The joys of being ShortSighted. My prescription is +2.5 for my right and +3.5 for left i.e. Longsighted. I tried to get laser surgery done before but was told my prescription was too high :(

Just letting you know that you may be able to get it done now based on the thickness of the front surface (ie the cornea) as the newer technology can go to +4.50 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarah ob

Hi Alifij, i just had my surgery in Optilase recently and was more than thrilled with the results. I dont know where you heard about infections. I have to say i was more than delighted with Optilase and did alot of reseach of technolgy and surgeons. I found Optilase very professinal every step of the way and went to consultations in other clinics before chosing Optilase. I chose Optilase because of their reputation and the fact they offer a lifetime care guarantee. Would highy recommend Optilase.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

alfiej wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have recently had an assessment with Optilase on ely place. I saw yvonne who was really helpful. However I have received some calls from a girl tierna I think her name is and have been made feel quite pressured, could anyone help with this? Also I heard theyve recently cancelled surgery and have had a couple of infection cases. I am thinking of going to Blackrock or the Wellington now as I feel they would be most professional.

this forum has a history of laser eye staff posting negative comments about other clinics. you have 1 post and it is against optilase? come on, go back to your sales office and stop trying to talk sh!t about genuine businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

veritable wrote: »
    this forum has a history of laser eye staff posting negative comments about other clinics. you have 1 post and it is against optilase? come on, go back to your sales office and stop trying to talk sh!t about genuine businesses.

Agreed...theres a lot of crap being peddled here. "I went to Optilase and met whoever..she was wonderful etc"
    Its shilling pure and simple...Optilase sales people who have clearly been given a brief to talk up the clinics...oh and mention the name of someone in the clinic, makes us sound more human...:rolleyes:

TIP: recently registered, low post count = sales person.

On this thread alone there are about 5 shill accounts for optilase, 1 against

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

haha now that you say it that last post by sarah ob sounds like an advertisement alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alfiej

well apologies I'm not a sad person who is constantly on this slating people or clinics. mine is a genuine concern about a genuine experience. If u yourself work for Optilase you would know this. I don't waste time on these blogs so yes it is my first one. But s I am investing in my eyes I feel I do have the right to research everything. no I don't work for Optilase or have ever worked in any other laser clinic. there are horror stories regarding eye surgery circulating but just because someone may point out a positive or negative experience does not mean the work as a sales person . You may yourself operate that way but I personally don't. I'm a person who is trying to make an informed decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

haha now that you say it that last post by sarah ob sounds like an advertisement alright
    Peter1983 above forgot his birth year when he signed his post! Slightly suspect!

Anyways I'm booked with Optilase for the 17th of this month. I'll post back after and let people know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

sarah ob wrote: »
    Hi Alifij, i just had my surgery in Optilase recently and was more than thrilled with the results. I dont know where you heard about infections. I have to say i was more than delighted with Optilase and did alot of reseach of technolgy and surgeons. I found Optilase very professinal every step of the way and went to consultations in other clinics before chosing Optilase. I chose Optilase because of their reputation and the fact they offer a lifetime care guarantee. Would highy recommend Optilase.:):)

looks very suspicious when you open an account just to tell everybody how great optilase is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'd mine done Friday of last week. All good so far. Bit dry today but thats the worst of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have no affiliation with any clinic but I got my eyes done in Optilase September 17

I couldn't have enough nice things to say about them and the care.

Since directed two work colleagues to them and also a couple of people off here. I found Optical Express very high pressure. I really liked the attitude at Optilase.

I went for the surgery with my mum waiting for me (I had visions of her having to guide me out and up the stairs to bed) - was fine after a few hours. Night vision was a few days to settle down. Imaginary contact lenses being taken pout and glasses took a few weeks. It's only recently I don't reach for them at the side of the bed (I was -6)

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Agreed...theres a lot of crap being peddled here. "I went to Optilase and met whoever..she was wonderful etc"
    Its shilling pure and simple...Optilase sales people who have clearly been given a brief to talk up the clinics...oh and mention the name of someone in the clinic, makes us sound more human...:rolleyes:

TIP: recently registered, low post count = sales person.

On this thread alone there are about 5 shill accounts for optilase, 1 against

wait, so you are saying someone from optilase opened an account here just to talk neg about optilase?!! WTF?!! (btw the whole comment you mention was negative by whomever that shill was)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

wait, so you are saying someone from optilase opened an account here just to talk neg about optilase?!! WTF?!! (btw the whole comment you mention was negative by whomever that shill was)
    No, I'm saying a competitor is talking-down optilase.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

i would love to get this done but i am very nervous!! can anyone recommend somewhere in galway or near galway?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

shot2go wrote: »
    i would love to get this done but i am very nervous!! can anyone recommend somewhere in galway or near galway?

The only 2 places in Galway are Optilase and the Galway Clinic.

murrayp4 wrote: »
    No, I'm saying a competitor is talking-down optilase.

sorry, my bad mate!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

thanks! going to call them see how much it costs! im worried il pay and chicken out

shot2go wrote: »
    thanks! going to call them see how much it costs! im worried il pay and chicken out

Most places you only pay a deposit and then the balance on day of surgery. Sure you may aswell look into it and if you don't go ahead, you will at least know whether you are suitable or not.

It's underrstandable that you would be nervous and all the clinics will understand that completely:D

Yes Iv posted here before and NO I am not in any way linked to Optilase but just to let you know I had my 6mth check-up last mth and they were so impressed with my healing that I now don’t have to go back for the next checkup just the year check up!
    I have found the operation a complete success and they people in Optilase were very nice and 100% professional!
    I would have no problem recommending them best of luck to all those going for the op but seriously it’s not all that bad! A bit uncomfortable for a few minutes, a bit of nuisance for a few mths with drops but 7mths on I couldn’t fault it!! :cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

amtc wrote: »
    I got mine done in Optilase in September so just had my three month check. Was minus 5.75, now better than 20/20

The worst bit was not being able to wear mascara for a week and the pain was less than getting my legs waxed.

I was told not to wear it for 2 weeks!

Advertisement