Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Was Sat Down!

• 05-09-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I just needed to get this off my chest, and to see what other peoples opinions are, regarding an ongoing 'Grammar battle' which I is having with some dear English friends of mine, so from the sentences below, which colour would you ascertain to be in the correct grammatical form (Grey or Blue)?

"I was standing in the corner of the sitting room" "I was stood in the corner of the sitting room'
    "She was sitting on the bus looking out the window" "She was sat on the bus looking out the window"
    "We were at the Cinema yesterday evening" "We was at the Cinema yesterday evening" . . .

My Grammar = Grey, my English friend's Grammar = Blue.

I am convinced that the words 'sitting' & 'standing' are slowly being replaced in everyday speak with 'Sat'
    & 'Stood', I also suspect that this trend started off life as a Northern English dialect (Yorkshire)? which has now spread far & wide, even to the extent that BBC Newsreaders have adopted this 'cool speak' ...........

So far I have only heard one 'outbreak' of this grammatical infection on Irish Radio :)

I hope I am correct in my assertions re Sat & Stood? and yes, the 'is' in the first paragraph is blue ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

If your friends grammar is supposed to be an alternate to yours I'd choose my friends more carefully.

Sounds like a Cockney barrow boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭jaffa20

My god! Where is your friend from:confused: Of course the text in grey is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The sad thing is, its not just my friends who are at fault, because if you listen to any Sky News Report, or BBC News Report, or even watch Eastenders, or Coronation St, or any British TV nowadays you will notice
    (if you listen closely) that the words Sitting & Standing are slowly being replaced with Sat & Stood . . .

This morning on BBC Radio I heard the Cricket commentator saying that "he was stood on the boundary" :(

The English language is evolving before our very eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Technically speaking, there's nothing wrong with "I was stood/sat...". It's just an alternative used by those in Central and Northern England.

But "We was..." is completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Camelot wrote: »
    "I was standing in the corner of the sitting room" "I was stood in the corner of the sitting room'
    "She was sitting on the bus looking out the window" "She was sat on the bus looking out the window"

I am convinced that the words 'sitting' & 'standing' are slowly being replaced in everyday speak with 'Sat'
    & 'Stood'

You are right, but to to me it looks more like the problem is people adding 'was' to their sentences, not that sitting and standing are being replaced by stood and sat.

I was stood in the corner of the sitting room.
    She was sat on the bus looking out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

You are right, but to to me it looks more like the problem is people adding 'was' to their sentences, not that sitting and standing are being replaced by stood and sat.

I was stood in the corner of the sitting room.
    She was sat on the bus looking out the window.

Competely different. The OP is talking about the Past Continuous and not the Past Simple being replaced by the Past Simple Passive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"was stood" implies to me a notion of passivity where the person has been put in a sitting/standing position by someone else.

Advertisement